Desoto starter motor tag

wangwilko

Hi, just completing rebuild of a starter motor for my 1936 Desoto and seeking information on correct tag which was missing.

I believe it is to be black for 6v but were they Autolite or Delco-Remy or could it be either? Just want it to be correct.

Thanks, Peter 

1 hour ago, wangwilko said:

Hi, just completing rebuild of a starter motor for my 1936 Desoto and seeking information on correct tag which was missing.

I believe it is to be black for 6v but were they Autolite or Delco-Remy or could it be either? Just want it to be correct.

Thanks, Peter 

I have NOS starter and generator tags from the 1930s . I may have the one you need. I bought a Auburn from Anderson Ind.  The guy worked at Delco.

Thanks everyone for your input. I love this forum for the people with a wealth of knowledge and time to assist whenever.

I can only say that i am learning and hope to pass my knowledge on to whoever when the time comes.

mikewest I would be interested in a tag. Thanks again, Peter

Based on the attached, The starting motor was  Auto-Lite.  As far as the model. The S1 was MAX-4015 (LH Drive) and MAX 4016 (RH Drive). The S2 was MAX-4016 for LH and RH Drive

36 DeSoto (2).jpg

15 hours ago, Bud Tierney said:

Per a little Shurkit catalog 36 (both S1 abd S2) took AL, but shows two number---IGS40061 and 4006A-1, no info when changed (assuming A-1 some kind of improvement)...

Are you sure of your numbers? My catalog shows IGS4006-1 and IGS4006A-1 as the Distributor not the staring motor? We do no want to give out the incorrect numbers to be stamped onto the data plate.  Please post picture of where you got your data.  My data is posted in the previous post.

• Like 1

Geez, I WAS WRONG!!!  Somehow I mentally jumped from starter to dist (that catalog had starter parts but no starter numbers)...

That was not only wrong, but, worse, stupid...

What can I saY??  My apologies sounds trite, and is...

I'll be carefull to double check in the future...l