Ventilators

3macboys

Let me start off by saying that I am definitely no engineer.  Most people on here I would hazard to guess have far more mechanical knowledge than I.  So that being said between all the ladies and gentlemen on here there has to be few with some working knowledge of ventilators and the oxygen supply system on ambulances.  I'm pretty sure that those systems are 110 V running off an inverter.  Is it possible to adapt those ambulance based systems for hospital use and would they fill in a gap that's missing right now?  I throw this out there as there has to be pile of old ambulances out there as patient transfer units, fire rescue units or even as contractor vehicles.  I have a friend up here in Ontario that works for the government in health care that I've thrown the idea to but I figure with more heads, the more likely a solution is to be found.  Please jump in with any ideas and if this is in fact practical put this out at the local level.  To paraphrase Steve I don't want this to turn into a political thing, everyone here knows how much car people give back to their communities every year so just maybe there might be a workable solution out there using our collective knowledge.  

6 minutes ago, TerryB said:

Ford Motor Company has offered to build ventilators.  They use similar devices in the factory.  Lots of good ideas coming to light!

My thought is that this is an existing medical grade device that already exists and in most cases is no longer used - just to be clear not to be taken from actively used units but old units that have been sold off or re-purposed.  I think that the auto industry will fill the gap eventually, the question is how fast can they do the turn around?  You have to be impressed with the speed that distilleries and breweries have stepped up to produce sanitizer.  

• Like 1

This is the ‘lunch box’ as it became known aboard Apollo 13.  It was made from an array of items not related to the carbon dioxide scrubber it ended up being.  The crew and the support staff at Mission Control came up with this and other solutions that brought our 3 Astronauts back after an fuel cell explosion in the command service module that could have very well been their end without a bevy of quick thinking.

America - where ‘failure is not an option’. 🇺🇸

D1F3FB2C-24BE-41A6-97E6-24633967DB39.jpeg.bac9fa6f9bd81100e1741ec7f2f373d1.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Uncle_Buck said:

This is the ‘lunch box’ as it became known aboard Apollo 13.  It was made from an array of items not related to the carbon dioxide scrubber it ended up being.  The crew and the support staff at Mission Control came up with this and other solutions that brought our 3 Astronauts back after an fuel cell explosion in the command service module that could have very well been their end without a bevy of quick thinking.

America - where ‘failure is not an option’. 🇺🇸

D1F3FB2C-24BE-41A6-97E6-24633967DB39.jpeg.bac9fa6f9bd81100e1741ec7f2f373d1.jpeg

Which, of course, has nothing to do with ventilators. This was essentially adapting a different "air cleaner" to the "carb inlet".

Guess it depends on how much pressure is need to be useful, anyone know ? I do have a rather powerful leaf blower, just electric instead of gas like Roadkill used. Also have some HEPA filters. Being somewhat at risk would like to have an alternative ready if needed (also bored).

Has been done before: https://blog.reallymagazine.com/2018/06/11/leaf-blowers-as-medical-ventilators-for-giraffes/