1933 Dodge throw out bearing - grease

Sactownog

That grease nipple should screw off, just put a regular nipple and bob's your uncle. On my '28 there is hose that is attached and goes through the bell housing and snakes behind the engine block, where I can access it to pump some grease in there.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, maok said:

That grease nipple should screw off, just put a regular nipple and bob's your uncle. On my '28 there is hose that is attached and goes through the bell housing and snakes behind the engine block, where I can access it to pump some grease in there.

LETS SUPPOSE: I do not want to take out the nipple due to possibly ruining the nipple, is there another hose or attachment that will work with it? 

That is a Zerk fitting (as opposed to the Alemite Hydraulic fitting that everyone nowadays calls a Zerk fitting). They were used on a lot of cars including Plymouth. I believe that Plymouth dropped that style and went to the modern Alemite Hydraulic fittings in 1934 which would imply that all Chrysler makes made the switch at that time.

If you look around at the usual restoration supply houses, especially ones catering to Model A Fords, you should be able to find a tip for your grease gun hose that is designed for it.

3 hours ago, Sactownog said:

LETS SUPPOSE: I do not want to take out the nipple due to possibly ruining the nipple, is there another hose or attachment that will work with it? 

Yes. It is called a needle. It is used for zerk (modern zerk) fittings on things like u-joints where there is not room to get a proper grease gun in. You stick the needle in the little hole, push like crazy, and pump. It is going to make a hell of a mess, particularly if you have never done it before. Sorry about that. There is also another kind that is about the same size around as the tip of that grease fitting in your pictures. It is not needle shaped at all, but has a concave tip. It is used the same way, hold it tight against the tip of the zerk and squeeze. Maybe a little better, but also makes a godawful mess. Any place that sells grease guns should have one or the other.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

Don't over do it with the lubrication. You don't want it getting on the clutch and flywheel. For most people, lubricating it once upon installation is fine with todays modern grease. I have driven many, many miles and almost never lubricate the throw out bearing.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sactownog said:

well it has to be greased the 1st time at least so I will keep searching for the correct needle / fitting to grease properly. 

no need to keep searching, here it is.   https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_model_a/model-a-ford-grease-gun-fitting-adapter-adapts-modern-grease-gun-to-work-with-original-style-grease-fittings.html

Edited by JFranklin (see edit history)
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, JFranklin said:

That warning is on anything sold in California.

California is trying to figure out how to put a warning sign on air.  They’ve discovered that if you breathe it all your life, you die.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I was taught it took two people to grease a throw out bearing. 

Pull the coil wire or leave the ignition off

one person push in clutch and hit starter to turn engine a few revolutions 

other person on grease gun to pump TWO shots of grease while engine turning

when I had my trucking business, on over the road diesels and hose on throw out bearing, we just greased them with engine running and clutch pushed in.