1991 PAINT CODE FOR SILVER PAINT ON WHEELS

MRJBUICK

I don't believe a specific paint 'code' has ever been found for the 1991 stock wheels. There was an old GM TSB I posted about here probably 10 years ago that outlined wheel repair, prep and painting Reatta wheels and my recollection is the suggested paint color was 'sparkle silver' but no manufacturer code was given. Three differenet paint suppliers were mentioned; Spies-Hecker, PPG and can't rememebr the third off hand. The needed aluminum prep products and primers were mentioned in the TSB, and that's about as specific as it got. 

Honestly, you are best off getting all four wheels and center caps redone together in a good quality metallic silver basecoat/clearcoat by either a wheel refinisher or body shop who is up to the job. The machined beauty ring is a problem also, as the black '"rivets" need to be removed for proper refinishing. There was/is a source on ebay selling comparable rivets but I'll need to dig that up to link it here. I think a bag of 100 had to be purchased, but not terribly expensive as I recall.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2020 at 7:47 PM, KDirk said:

I don't believe a specific paint 'code' has ever been found for the 1991 stock wheels. There was an old GM TSB I posted about here probably 10 years ago that outlined wheel repair, prep and painting Reatta wheels and my recollection is the suggested paint color was 'sparkle silver' but no manufacturer code was given. Three differenet paint suppliers were mentioned; Spies-Hecker, PPG and can't rememebr the third off hand. The needed aluminum prep products and primers were mentioned in the TSB, and that's about as specific as it got. 

Honestly, you are best off getting all four wheels and center caps redone together in a good quality metallic silver basecoat/clearcoat by either a wheel refinisher or body shop who is up to the job. The machined beauty ring is a problem also, as the black '"rivets" need to be removed for proper refinishing. There was/is a source on ebay selling comparable rivets but I'll need to dig that up to link it here. I think a bag of 100 had to be purchased, but not terribly expensive as I recall.

thanks for the helpful info

Marty