WILL THE SENTIMENTAL TOUR BE POSTPONED-updated!

Dynaflash8
Message added by Steve Moskowitz

Sentimental Tour Cancelled!

June 7 is within the 10-12 weeks from now specified by the President and Vice President for the STAND DOWN on current "separation" procedures being purported for U.S. citizens between now and then.  Already the Founders Tour has been posponed and the Charlotte Meet moved right on top of the dates for the AACA Sentimental Tour.  Have thoughts been given for postponing the Sentimental Tour?  If not , I would suggest it, assuming an additional postponement for Charlotte is probably not in the cards.  Let's not destroy one event to have another.

Earl, the club and the leadership of all upcoming events are in contact with each other and  I am sure not only that will we follow the CDC guidelines, directives from state and federal governments but also in the end do what we feel is best for our members.  As we said before, we will announce any changes in our schedule as  soon as all facts come in.  In the meantime stay safe.

• Like 4

Got the paperwork in the mail today.  I guess the five day tour specifications in the Policy & Procedure Manual fall because of the times.  Only 4 days for the Sentimental Tour for the first time ever.  Oh well, we may all be locked into the house by that time anyway.

I have registered the blue '39 Buick as of tonight (23 March)m into the mail tomorrow.  Also registered for the Host Hotel and I wasn't first.  Cancellation is 7 days or more prior to Sunday June 7.  Lady (Chris) was very nice.  Hopefully will see all of the regulars there.  Not sure we'll go to Charlotte, as we'd like to take the '41 Roadmaster to Corydon in August (933 mile pull with the trailer each way).  These two will both eat lots of gas, regardless of the price, because the Suburban is super thirsty with a trailer.  After the Tour, I figure the '39 will be plenty dirty and it's already a Grand National Senior.

Guest Mark McAlpine

Due to the rescheduling of the AACA Southeastern Spring Nationals to 12-13 June 2020 to coincide with the new dates of the rescheduled Charlotte AutoFair (12-14 June), the AACA Sentimental Tour in Davis, WV, has been shortened one day.  It is now on Sunday-Thursday, 7-11 June.  This will allow members to go on the tour, then take a relaxed scenic drive on Friday to Charlotte on Friday to participate in/attend the show in Concord, NC.  Please remember all tour cars are eligible and welcome to participate in the Nationals, whether in Class Judging, Historic Preservation of Original Features (HPOF) evaluation, or Driver Participation Class (DPC) evaluation.  And every show can always use more judges and judging administration.

Earl:  We realize it's unprecedented for a national tour to only be four days (plus the arrival day), but these are unprecedented times.  In my opinion, a 4-day tour is better than no tour.  (Regarding the slightly abbreviated dates for the Sentimental Tour, there will be a welcome banquet on Sunday, 7 June, followed by four full days of touring.)  Now let's just hope we beat the coronavirus into submission by then and can hold the tour as scheduled.

The registration deadline for the AACA Sentimental Tour is 4 May.  The registration deadline for the AACA SE Spring Nationals is 15 May.

Please register for both as soon as possible.  Everyone be safe and stay healthy--we can't have a tour or show without our members.  I look forward to seeing everyone at both events.

Edited by Mark McAlpine
Add line spaces between paragraphs for easier reading (see edit history)

SENTIMENTAL TOUR APPLICATION arrived in yesterday's mail.

I've completed the application and it is already returned in this morning's mail.

Hopefully, the pandemic will have subsided in time for us to hold, and to enjoy this event.

We plan to drive from New Orleans to West Virginia in the 1954 Cadillac convertible. This is the same car which carried us over 10,000 miles in 3 months back in 2017 to support the Western Spring Meet in Palm Springs, California, the Western Divisional Tour near Yosemite in Sonora, California, a drive up the Columbia River Gorge (following a quick diagnosis and replacement of distributor cap and spark plugs and wires at Mark Shaw's home with Joe Block's assistance), then continuing on to Founders Tour in Gettysburg and the Grand National in Independence, Missouri - yes, we love driving on cars, as well as sharing them with the public.

I'm staying POSITIVE, and will not let any comments drag me down !

If we have to forego a couple of dinners out to cover fuel and motel costs in order to enjoy touring with long-time friends and family, then it is still an excellent choice - so be it!

Actually, our local AACA Lagniappe Chapter of Louisiana Region is Tele-Conferencing our meeting tonight. We will miss the company of good friends, as well as the excellent Cajun Food at Copeland's Restaurant in Houma, LA. This will save a few bucks in the process - and Dale is still content with my cooking. Life goes on, and we adapt as necessary - and stay positive.

Let's just be thankful for folks like Franklin Gage, Roger Irland, Charles Emery, Bill Preston, David Turner, Bob Giles, Joe Konarowski, Charlie Froehlich and many others who work diligently at their own expense for years to host these events, so that we may get a taste of America and her backroads and special communities "ON THE ROAD" for a week or so at a time.

Taos Chrome 2010 - 1954 Cadillac 010.jpg

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Guest Mark McAlpine

Here, here, Marty!  We couldn't hold and enjoy tours and shows if it wasn't for the individuals that step forward to chair them and the regions/chapters that step forward to host them.  My sincere thanks to all of them!

As you said, let's all stay positive.  We will get through this and return to normal.  Let's just hope it's soon--we're losing prime car season weather.

Don't know what to say Paul.  A friend of mine in Lake City got it day before yesterday as did I.  I do know that headquarters is closes.  Write to aaca1@aaca.org and tell Steve.  You know, mail is scewy on the best of days.  I wash my hands after handling any outside envelopes.  Hurry so you can get a balcony room.  Call me at 804-366-48870 tomorrow and I'll give you the hotel phone number.  It is a four day tour for the first time because of moving Charlotte, but the opening banquet is on Sunday, so maybe that makes it five days to some people.

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)

Click here for the Sentimental Tour brochure - which lists the host hotel.  Since this tour is for AACA members only - we do not post the registration forms. We check to make sure everyone is a member first.  If you need a form, please email me - pbuckley@aaca.org and I will check membership and email you the registration form.

Pat

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It is with great sadness I have to announce the cancellations for this year's Sentimental Tour.  We all know the reasons why so I will not belabor them.  There is an alternative idea being worked on for the future and it will be published when a final decision is made by the Board of Directors.

I'm sorry to hear the Sentimental Tour is cancelled, but I understand and appreciate  the reasoning.   This tour for vehicles 1928 to 1958 has been a great addition to the

AACA Tour schedule.  It probably has  included the largest segment of membership in it's selection criteria.  We have participated in 8 of these tours on our 1934 Ford and enjoyed them all, even while driving one of the oldest vehicles.  A few years ago we aquired a 57 Ford Ranchero and readied it for touring.  Oh well, in two years there will be another Sentimental Tour.  In the mean time the 34 is ready for the Glidden Tour in September in Saratoga Springs NY.  

11 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

I'm sorry to hear the Sentimental Tour is cancelled, but I understand and appreciate  the reasoning.   This tour for vehicles 1928 to 1958 has been a great addition to the

AACA Tour schedule.  It probably has  included the largest segment of membership in it's selection criteria.  We have participated in 8 of these tours on our 1934 Ford and enjoyed them all, even while driving one of the oldest vehicles.  A few years ago we aquired a 57 Ford Ranchero and readied it for touring.  Oh well, in two years there will be another Sentimental Tour.  In the mean time the 34 is ready for the Glidden Tour in September in Saratoga Springs NY.  

I've already sent Franklin Gage the money, so I guess it will be returned.  I've also got a room and they charged me $109 on my credit card, so I hope that will be refunded.  Paul, please keep bringing the '34 Ford to future Sentimental Tours.  It is those kinds of cars that I built the Sentimental Tour to celebrate...the ones that carried America through WWII.  Those cars were so neglected in past years in this hobby.  They were, in my opinion, the "Greatest Generation" for vehicles carrying America through the War years.  I plan to bring my '39 Buick again when it happens, and hopefully that will not be two years away.  Judy and I have made every tour.  I will be 83 in two years if I make it, but I don't know if I can pull Suzybelle 1200 miles each way in another two years.  Charlie Froehlich is within days of my age.  We've both made all the tours.  Only David Kontor of Pennsylvania has also made all of the tours.  I'd hate to see either Charlie & Ardie or Judy and I miss the next one because of this disease.  I always figured David Kontor would be the last man standing because of his much  younger age.  Thank you to Franklin Gage for being willing to take on the Tour.

I am also sorry to see the Sentimental Tour cancelled, there have been way too many events affected by the pandemic.  At this time we are still planning on having the 75th Revival AAA Glidden in September and registration opens May 1.  Go to the VMCCA website for links to tour information and an application for the tour.  We are working hard to make it a memorable event and invite everyone to come to Saratoga Springs, NY September 13- 18 and enjoy the camaraderie of the Glidden!

Go play with cars, it's what we do,

Bill Preston,

Tour Director 2020

full-page-ad-3.gif.87d1c20530468d2010bb9b9575304b30.gif

As Bill Preston noted, above,

the GLIDDEN TOUR is open to AACA as well as VMCCA MEMBERS

and is for pre-1943 vehicles.

The link to the VMCCA website is: www.VMCCA.org

Here is the link to the registration form: https://secureservercdn.net/166.62.111.64/5k7.c9e.myftpupload.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Glidden-Registration.pdf

and additional features: https://secureservercdn.net/166.62.111.64/5k7.c9e.myftpupload.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/glidden-extra.pdf

full-page-ad-3.gif.87d1c20530468d2010bb9b9575304b30.gif

Guest Mark McAlpine
On 4/15/2020 at 7:29 AM, Dynaflash8 said:

I've already sent Franklin Gage the money, so I guess it will be returned.  I've also got a room and they charged me $109 on my credit card, so I hope that will be refunded.  Paul, please keep bringing the '34 Ford to future Sentimental Tours.  It is those kinds of cars that I built the Sentimental Tour to celebrate...the ones that carried America through WWII.  Those cars were so neglected in past years in this hobby.  They were, in my opinion, the "Greatest Generation" for vehicles carrying America through the War years.  I plan to bring my '39 Buick again when it happens, and hopefully that will not be two years away.  Judy and I have made every tour.  I will be 83 in two years if I make it, but I don't know if I can pull Suzybelle 1200 miles each way in another two years.  Charlie Froehlich is within days of my age.  We've both made all the tours.  Only David Kontor of Pennsylvania has also made all of the tours.  I'd hate to see either Charlie & Ardie or Judy and I miss the next one because of this disease.  I always figured David Kontor would be the last man standing because of his much  younger age.  Thank you to Franklin Gage for being willing to take on the Tour.

Hello Earl.  We're all disappointed in having to cancel this year's Sentimental Tour, but it will likely be rescheduled for next year.  (Yes, I know that would be out of the normal scheduling sequence, but Franklin and the AACA Executive Committee knew members would be disappointed about the cancellation of this year's tour and didn't want them to have to wait two years for the next one..)

Yes, your reservation money is going to be returned.  Please be patient and give Franklin some time--the decision was just made this week.

You need to call the hotel direct to cancel your room reservation and get a refund.  

Best wishes!  Be safe and stay healthy.

3 hours ago, Mark McAlpine said:

Hello Earl.  We're all disappointed in having to cancel this year's Sentimental Tour, but it will likely be rescheduled for next year.  (Yes, I know that would be out of the normal scheduling sequence, but Franklin and the AACA Executive Committee knew members would be disappointed about the cancellation of this year's tour and didn't want them to have to wait two years for the next one..)

Yes, your reservation money is going to be returned.  Please be patient and give Franklin some time--the decision was just made this week.Mark, The hotel sent me an email without my asking saying they had canceled the room.  I called them anyway since the first day was charged to my credit for considerably more than what the email said --- taxes and all that.  She said that would be taken care of in the next 10-14 days.  Thanks for your message.  Yesterday I told the guy who wanted my old trailer I was ready to do the deal.  Now, if I am able to make it next year, I'll have to buy some kind of a trailer.  I know of a company who sells aluminum open trailers which tilt down by hydraulics and automatically lock down with the weight of the front of the car.  They are local and cost about $8900 for 22 or 24 feet, I don't remember which one you get for that price.  I hate towing open, but I'm sure it will be an easier tow for an old guy.

You need to call the hotel direct to cancel your room reservation and get a refund.  

3 hours ago, Mark McAlpine said:

Yes, your reservation money is going to be returned.  Please be patient and give Franklin some time--the decision was just made this week.

Mark, The hotel sent me an email without my asking saying they had canceled the room.  I called them anyway since the first day was charged to my credit for considerably more than what the email said --- taxes and all that.  She said that would be taken care of in the next 10-14 days.  Thanks for your message.  Yesterday I told the guy who wanted my old trailer I was ready to do the deal.  Now, if I am able to make it next year, I'll have to buy some kind of a trailer.  I know of a company who sells aluminum open trailers which tilt down by hydraulics and automatically lock down with the weight of the front of the car.  They are local and cost about $8900 for 22 or 24 feet, I don't remember which one you get for that price.  I hate towing open, but I'm sure it will be an easier tow for an old guy.

Earl,

Look into Tommy's Trailers, Featjerlite, and Aluma/   All 3 are good aluminum trailers.   Mine is the Aluma, biught new in 2002.  I love it, with it's two Dexter Torqueflex

axles and 4 wheel electric brakes.  Weight 1100 ilbs and tows great.

Aluma.thumb.jpg.5fdeb66b90425b81d894e451dec3ddc7.jpg

1 hour ago, Paul Dobbin said:

Earl,

Look into Tommy's Trailers, Featjerlite, and Aluma/   All 3 are good aluminum trailers.   Mine is the Aluma, biught new in 2002.  I love it, with it's two Dexter Torqueflex

axles and 4 wheel electric brakes.  Weight 1100 ilbs and tows great.

Paul: How dirty does your car get?  Last time I looked, there is an Alumina dealer only 55 miles from the house.  A 24 foot trailer with a rock wall and a hydraulic lift sells for $8900.  You take off at least one fender if you want, and I'd want to, and then the platform lifts up hydraulically.  You drive your car up on it and the weight of the car brings it back down level.  You lock it, put the fender back on and go.  The only problem is getting under the front of the car between the rock wall and the bumper to strap it down.  I need about 27 inches from the wall to the D-ring to do it.  So, that means I probably will need the 24-foot trailer.  That is the one I've been planning to buy for about the last two years.  I've got their catalogue here, but I don't want to go to Iowa to get it.  The dealer here isn't very helpful, but maybe if I wave some green at him, he'll put the D-Rings where I want them.  Best regards, Earl

Edited by Dynaflash8
Quote didn't work (see edit history)

Yes they'll put your D Rings where you want them.  Car does not get real dirty unless you drive in the rain.  Jim Houff has one and carries his 47

Hudson on it., which is a heavy car too.   He loves it too.  $8900 spunds like a lot.  Do you really need the hydraulic lift, aluminum ramps are light.  

17 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

Yes they'll put your D Rings where you want them.  Car does not get real dirty unless you drive in the rain.  Jim Houff has one and carries his 47

Hudson on it., which is a heavy car too.   He loves it too.  $8900 spunds like a lot.  Do you really need the hydraulic lift, aluminum ramps are light.  

For one thing it is what it is there.  But, I don't like lifting much of anything anymore.  But yes, $8900 is a lot.  I do have a catalog for the company, but first I have to finally decided to get rid of the closed trailer to make room.

• 2 weeks later...