I'm looking for the "Accessory" switch that turns on the rear defroster. It looks similar to the "courtesy light" switch.

I've been on the lookout for one on eBay for quite a while now. What do you think my odds of finding one are?

Benefits of AACA Membership.

There is also a resistor that is part of the harness. I got mine from Gene Guarnere. 

3 hours ago, DerekC said:

I'm looking for the "Accessory" switch that turns on the rear defroster. It looks similar to the "courtesy light" switch.

I've been on the lookout for one on eBay for quite a while now. What do you think my odds of finding one are?

Is that what switch would be between the accessory lamp switch and antenna? Mine is empty in the center location and always wondered. Non rear defrost car so that makes sense. 

28 minutes ago, psychostang said:

Brian, your 2 switches should say Courtesy and Antenna.

Correct. I’ve always wondered what went in between those where mine is empty. 

Is that the defroster space when equipped? Was there any other switch ever used there? Curious. 

thanks

2 hours ago, 71GS said:

Is that what switch would be between the accessory lamp switch and antenna? Mine is empty in the center location and always wondered. Non rear defrost car so that makes sense. 

Yes

• Like 1

Not sure if the same on 65 but on my 64 the trim plate where the courtesy light and accessory switches mount will be labeled "Courtesy" in the center positon and "Accessory" to the left of center or "Antenna" to the right depending on how the car was originally equipped. My 64 originally came with no power antenna or rear defrost so it has only one switch in the center of the trim plate for the courtesy light and only labeled "Courtesy".  I installed a power antenna some years ago from a car in the Pick-A-Part and also took its trim panel and switch. This panel listed "Courtesy" in the middle of the plate and " Antenna" to the right. Nothing on the left, however,  there are pre-drilled holes to mount a factory switch. Pretty sure this is all correct. 🙂

65 is different than the 64.  The switch label is manufactured on the plate in a 64, I have all 3.  I believe in 65 the label is part of the switch assm not the plate. 64  base shown.

DSC_4850.JPG

Posted (edited)

IIRC, you can use a courtesy light switch (which would be much easier to find) to operate the defroster.  The original defroster circuit has a 2-position switch with an inline resistor, but you could hook it up to run on high all the time.  No one would ever know; the switches look the same.

Edited by KongaMan (see edit history)

The Accessory face plate is not easy to find in good condition.

I was looking for a good 12 months to find a really nice example.

I have no idea how you would restore the escutcheon plate.

In the end Dick Sweeney found me one. 

Cheers

Tom K