looking for 65 visor parts

bc65riv

On the auxiliary relay, go to Mr. Earl's sticky tips page at the top of this forum. On the very first post, at the bottom you will see

a tips article titled "Easy five minute solution to unobtanium auxiliary relay" This tells you how to convert your car to use a main relay for your

auxiliary relay. On the limiter switch for the headlight motor, these are not reproduced, you will need to buy a new or rebuilt motor

to solve your problem.

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)

Hi bc65Riv,

Another way you can get your clamshells working is to bypass the relay and micro switches by wiring your clamshell motor directly to a switch so they can be operated independently of the headlights.

That's what I did a long time ago after having had similar problems to yours.  The headlight motor can get fried unless the micro switches are adjusted properly.  The factory issued over 20 service bulletins on the '65 headlamp visor system and several revisions were issued to retrofit the cars when still under warranty.  That tells us the system was buggy, and it would be no surprise that you're having issues 55 years later.

Some have had good luck getting the stock setup to work, but I got tired of trying to find used working headlight motors and fiddling with the relays, etc.  A long time ROA member advised me to get a stock ANTENNA switch and mount it on my accessory switch panel above the console, wiring the headlight motor to this switch.  Run some good heavy gauge wire (16?) from the switch to both sides of the motor, bypassing the micro switches.  It works like a charm.  Push the Antenna switch to CLOSE the visors, and PULL to open.  Simple as that. 

I've been running this setup for over 20 years on the same headlight motor with no problems.

I can take a closer look at my setup if you want more specific instructions on how to wire this up.  The "ANTENNA" switch shouldn't be too hard to find from one of the vendors that advertise in the ROA "Riview".  Or, ask here and someone on this forum might have one to sell.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 65VerdeGS said:

That's what I did a long time ago after having had similar problems to yours.  The headlight motor can get fried unless the micro switches are adjusted properly.  The factory issued over 20 service bulletins on the '65 headlamp visor system and several revisions were issued to retrofit the cars when still under warranty.  That tells us the system was buggy, and it would be no surprise that you're having issues 55 years later.

Lordy …