57 Buick frame off resto detailing

57Century

Hi

I'm doing a frame off resto on a 57 Century Model 66R

I need some help on various issues.

First I'm missing the steel tube that connects to the brass fitting in intake manifold making vacuum to the brakes and windshield wiper motor.

Any one who has one for sale?

image.thumb.png.cc4c334c4580f88c84978c43e49bcd7c.png

Second issue:

The color code for the tangerine coler on the steel wheels and in the sweep spear?

Here is a pic of my progress.

Any help is very much appriciated - Thanks.

57 frame progress 22032020.jpg

• Like 1

Hello:  What you are asking for I think, is the metal approximately 12-inch long by 1/4"  tube that runs out of the passenger's side engine block near the oil filter mounting boss location and runs up the passenger rear side of the block connecting to the manifold metal vacuum lines at the rear of carb base or you could fashion a connection into the intake manifold hard vacuum lines in that area.    As you know you can fabricate one or If you cannot find one here you can contact one of the classic salvage yards located in Arizona, U.S.A. / Minnesota / Oklahoma etc.

Here are a few to help you out

Desert Valley Auto Parts 800.798.2465

French Lake Auto 320.274.8497

Buds Salvage 1.800.375.2837 / 1.800.905.8020

On 3/22/2020 at 2:37 PM, 57Century said:

Second issue:

The color code for the tangerine coler on the steel wheels and in the sweep spear?

There is no published color code.  On my last one, I took an NOS piece of sweepspear trim to the parts store and matched it as closely as possible with paint samples and they made me up some paint.  It looked very, very close.

• Thanks 1

On 3/24/2020 at 7:27 AM, buick man said:

Hello:  What you are asking for I think, is the metal approximately 12-inch long by 1/4"  tube that runs out of the passenger's side engine block near the oil filter mounting boss location and runs up the passenger rear side of the block connecting to the manifold metal vacuum lines at the rear of carb base or you could fashion a connection into the intake manifold hard vacuum lines in that area.    As you know you can fabricate one or If you cannot find one here you can contact one of the classic salvage yards located in Arizona, U.S.A. / Minnesota / Oklahoma etc.

Here are a few to help you out

Desert Valley Auto Parts 800.798.2465

French Lake Auto 320.274.8497

Buds Salvage 1.800.375.2837 / 1.800.905.8020

Thanks for the phone numbers. I will try them.

I got the steeltube that runs from oil/vacuum pump, however there is also one that runs from the fitting on the intake manifold in front of the carb.

The wipermotor gets vacuum from 2 sources - the oil/vacuum pump and intake manifold.

Yes, I could do a one my self, however I would like an original one. 

19 hours ago, lancemb said:

There is no published color code.  On my last one, I took an NOS piece of sweepspear trim to the parts store and matched it as closely as possible with paint samples and they made me up some paint.  It looked very, very close.

Thanks. Yes I have some trim pieces with pretty OK paint. So I will do the same as you.

Thanks.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2020 at 2:00 AM, Caballero2 said:

Here is an often overlooked detail.  That is, the throttle return spring as original.

57 Throttle Return Spring.jpg

Thanks.

My car was mostly original when I purchased it. So many details I have.

But there is some things missing. Thanks for the input.

On 3/22/2020 at 3:37 PM, 57Century said:

Sorry I don't have the paint code in my files.. Look at Corvette colors in the mid to late 70's and  you will find a very orange red that is a perfect match to an NOS sweep spear part.

7 hours ago, 61polara said:

Sorry I don't have the paint code in my files.. Look at Corvette colors in the mid to late 70's and  you will find a very orange red that is a perfect match to an NOS sweep spear part.

Thanks. I will look into that.

• 6 months later...

I need your help again.

I am ready to paint the body, however I am not sure how the front fender is painted on a two tone car.

Anyone having a picture of an original two tone front fender without the swep spear molding?

Any picture or info is much appriciated.

On 10/31/2020 at 2:11 PM, Smartin said:

Oddly enough, that is not entirely true.  This is an original paint car (inside the door jambs)...I didn't paint some of the jambs.  The owner was trying to keep any originality he could with it.

jambs1.jpg

jambs2.jpg

jambs3.jpg

jambs4.jpg

jambs5.jpg

jambs6.jpg

This is very good and yes interesting how the split is.

Precisely what I was looking for.

Much appriciated.

/Kasper 

• Like 1

Great spray job on that blue 57 but yes it is impossible to attempt matching a 2 stage paint to an original factory lacquer color.  As you can see the toner match is off when comparing the jambs to the newly painted areas. This is just the condition of using bc/cc coat systems when attempting to color match lacquer jobs.   However, if matching is important using a single stage urethane as a starting point one can tweak the overall finish tone by adding or subtracting quantities of the base formula tints to achieve a very close match up to that of the factory lacquer color and by over reducing the last final coat by 50% and aids in post painting polishing to achieve that deep tone lacquer look.   Later any deep cut chip repairs and panel matches are more easily accomplished as well than when using bc/cc systems. 

• Like 1