New To This Forum

Eddie-O

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum and first time user. I had posted this on general, but was informed to go to Buick section so here I am.

I recently purchased a 41 Buick Sedanette and am still waiting for the shipper to drop it off , or deliver it is a better word. I feel in love with the car the day I saw it and will post some pics in the near future. I was a Chevrolet mechanic for twenty five years and since I've retired this car will definatly keep me from wearing out rocking chairs. Your going to think I'm an idiot, but I have some questions on the fluids in this car. I have the 41 shop manual, but my problem is what fluids to use in it..The manual uses all the long discontinued GM or Buick part #'s or their product names like, Super Dupper or Quick Slick or other retail brand names but no SAE weight #'s. Could someone tell me what the current fluid weights are for:

Rear Axle- Is it still 90 weight gear oil?

3 Speed Trans. Fluid

Brake Fluid DOT #

I plan on using straight 20 weight in the straight eight dual carb engine. She'll be driven only during summer months.

I know these are novice questions and I am a novice on a car this old so please don't laugh to hard. There's not much I can't handle with the car and I have a fully equipped shop,lift,compressors,presses,etc. , so I'm not helpless. But I want to get this right even if I have to be humbled by asking. I'm sure as time passes I'll have other questions, but right now this is the most important.

Thank's in advance to anyone who stops laughing long enough to respond. I'll be monitoring this forum for all your knowledge and help most likely on a regular basis now that I have my 41.

All the best 

Ed

Welcome Ed.  I don't have a 41 but others will likely chime in soon.  

As for trans and rear axle fluid I believe you will find 90 Wt in there.  And for brake fluid DOT 3 should work.  For the engine I believe you'd be better off with 30 wt, although a 10W 30 would fit the bill.  You didn't mention the oil bath air cleaner but that may be 50 wt. 

Good luck with your car.  And looking forward to pictures. 

Thank's guys for the input and compliments. I will post some pics hopefully by the end of week if this virus thing doesn't slow things down. I'd be a little disappointed but not upset since we all have to sacrifice at this time. Everyone's health is the main concern right now and my 41 isn't a priority for sure! But I'm still crossing my fingers! If I had an enclosed trailer it would be here now but like they say, " Lonelyness makes the hart grow fonder."  Thank's again and will keep you all posted.

Ed

Ed,

I like your choice of car, follow John on his fluid suggestions, if you have any transmission fluid leaks I can help you with that, may sound silly as you were at Chevy mechanic, BUT Buicks are a little different.

Bob

To quote my previous reply in the General Forum:

Based on my experience with a 1937 Buick, I would recommend that the best option for the Transmission and the Rear End would be the following: https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/b/chemicals---fluids-16461/maintenance-chemicals-16867/grease---lube-16582/gear-oil---additives-16905/gear-oil---140w-20063/587d6374459f

Engine Oil recommendations will likely be all over the map from different forum members. Almost any modern oil you choose will be better than what was available in 1941. Diesel oils typically have higher ZDDP levels which are a good idea. There are also a few other oils with higher ZDDP levels available. Brad Penn oil has been recommended in the past. Personally, I don't recall the brand name right now, but I have purchased a high ZDDP motor oil at Family Dollar Store for the last few years. I can't seem to find it on the Family Dollar website at the moment, so I am not sure if they still stock it. I will try to find the name in the next day or so if possible. Today's edit:  I was in the garage and looked at my oil to see what it was. It is American XT 10W-40 manufactured by the Warren Oil Co. LLC. It has served me well for thousands of miles in my 1937 Buick Century. I have not purchased any in the past several months,  but I have purchased it at Family Dollar Store (my only reason for going to Family Dollar Store). The funny thing is that doing a Google search for it, revealed that apparently Family Dollar Store has been sued in NJ for selling this oil as it is alleged to not be suitable for modern engines. 

For brake fluid, you need to either use whatever is in it now, or even better flush the system, rebuild everything, and then use your choice. What is best to use for brake fluid will likely also result in many conflicting opinions.

My American cars get Texaco oil. I don't know the composition, but I know the name stands for Texas Oil Company and every time I use it I think of and Indian driving his Cadillac convertible through a field of wells with his war bonnet feathers blowing in the breeze. And that's the way it should be.

Makes me happy, anyway.

And Pennzoil gear lube.

Bernie

• Haha 2

On 3/22/2020 at 9:27 PM, MCHinson said:

Family Dollar Store has been sued in NJ for selling this oil as it is alleged to not be suitable for modern engines. 

This just sounds so typical today....  Not my fault, I couldn't read the label, OK, I didn't want to read any label, it is oil, now my overhead cam roller lifter engine is worn out, I'll sue.........😉

I used this oil in Corvairs for a few years. Worked just fine. Warren is a typical cheap convenience store brand. Used to sell "re-refined" or some such oil at 7-11, etc when I was younger. Even that stuff is better than what was available in 1941 when your car was new. I suggest ANY modern multi viscosity oil will perform fine in your engine. You do not have high valve spring pressure, nor high compression.

• Thanks 1

On 3/22/2020 at 8:27 PM, MCHinson said:

I was in the garage and looked at my oil to see what it was. It is American XT 10W-40 manufactured by the Warren Oil Co. LLC. It has served me well for thousands of miles in my 1937 Buick Century. I have not purchased any in the past several months,  but I have purchased it at Family Dollar Store (my only reason for going to Family Dollar Store). The funny thing is that doing a Google search for it, revealed that apparently Family Dollar Store has been sued in NJ for selling this oil as it is alleged to not be suitable for modern engines. 

You are mixing up 2 different products.  Warren makes good oils including the WalMart Supertech line.  The obsolete oil in questions was made by Dollar General, is non detergent oil for service SA vs SN for modern oils.  Those non detergent oils will be found at any convenience store; when I find SAE 50, I use it in the air cleaner of my 55.  Read the label.

3 minutes ago, old-tank said:

You are mixing up 2 different products.  Warren makes good oils including the WalMart Supertech line.  The obsolete oil in questions was made by Dollar General, is non detergent oil for service SA vs SN for modern oils.  Those non detergent oils will be found at any convenience store; when I find SAE 50, I use it in the air cleaner of my 55.  Read the label.

You are mistaken. I am referring to this link: https://www.clarklawnj.com/family-dollar-obsolete-oil/

Someone else mentioned in the other discussion in the General Forum that the Straight weight American XT oil is what the lawsuit is actually about, but the lawyer's website alleges "These sellers are alleged to include Family Dollar, one of the largest Dollar Store retailers in the United States.  This company is alleged to sell a brand of motor oil, American XT, which is wholly useless and in fact harmful to most all modern day engines."

Personally, I have had very good results with the American XT 10W-40 from Family Dollar Stores and would recommend it for anyone with a car of this era. 

Your link and the  Complaint never mention Warren oil.  The oil in question is junk, but other oils with American XT label are suitable and not part of the suit...Warren may make the other oils.  Read the label.  The law suit should go nowhere unless the jury is just a stupid as the customers.

I am as frugal as the next guy, but would never consider buying anything at a dollar store!

The oil I use: { (3 Pack) Castrol GTX 20W-50 Conventional Motor Oil, 5 QT} is $54 at WalMart ($3.60/qt and shipped free to my house!)...singles a buck more.

6 hours ago, old-tank said:

I really hate to take this any further off topic, but I don't respond well to being incorrectly accused of spreading incorrect information. The American XT Oil 10W40 marketed by Family Dollar Store is manufactured by Warren Oil. I go to Family Dollar Store only for that oil because it is a good oil with higher ZDDP levels that I found out about a few years back. Feel free to "Read the label". The link that I posted is the one that I referred to in which the lawyer falsely labeled all American XT Oils as being worthless. 

To bring it back on topic, any modern oil with higher ZDDP levels should be fine in any Buick of this era. 

DSC_0784.JPG

• Thanks 3

14 hours ago, MCHinson said:

I go to Family Dollar Store only for that oil because it is a good oil with higher ZDDP levels that I found out about a few years back.

The only thing I'll say is that oil formulations change -- so the ZDDP level advertised a couple of years ago may not apply today.  This is definitely true for the HDEO (diesel) oils; they may still be somewhat higher than similar gasoline engine oils, but are lower today than previously.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2020 at 9:27 PM, MCHinson said:

The funny thing is that doing a Google search for it, revealed that apparently Family Dollar Store has been sued in NJ for selling this oil as it is alleged to not be suitable for modern engines. 

I figured I would go right to the source on that one. If there was a lawyer doing oil cases I MUST be able to call OOO-OOOO. I kept getting the Operator.

So I stopped into the law office of an old High School friend. He told me a major media news reporter misquoted the story. A lawyer had been seen buying a case of oil at a Family Dollar Store. Jimmy Olsen and Lois Lane out there again dramatizing right up to the commercial break.

Jack Larson, who played Superman's pal Jimmy Olsen in original TV ...

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ed,  Welcome to the group.  Remember that the only silly question is the one that you do not ask.  This is a bunch of helpful people to help you get your car running and enjoy it.

For brake fluid, you need to either use whatever is in it now, or even better flush the system, rebuild everything, and then use your choice. What is best to use for brake fluid will likely also result in many conflicting opinions.

The most important part of your car is the brakes.  To completely go through the brake system and make sure it is it top condition including no rusted brake lines, leaking wheel cylinders, etc.. is of utmost importance.  I would just use Dot 3 brake fluid.  Most common.

Remember, If you can not get it going you cannot get into trouble, but.. If you can not stop you are in trouble. 

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Good morning Ed, and welcome - as Larry said, only silly question is the one that you do not ask. Your car has great potential to give you years of enjoyment. Most modern fluids are better than what was available when it was new. If doing a COMPLETE brake system rebuild, consider DOT-5 Synthetic, but otherwise DOT-3 is OK, and you can mix with DOT-4 which is similar, but less hygroscopic, holding or absorbing less water to cause rust in the system. Modern synthetic oils provide substantial benefits with regard to better protection and flow at extreme temperatures, both high and low, despite "old wives tales".

Good luck with youir Buick, and let's see you "Down the Road".

• Like 1