Help with a stutz 1928 bb black hawk

Peter Gariepy

To: <peterg@aaca.org>

Date: 11/20/2002 08:08 PM

Subject: stutz 1928 bb black hawk

Dear Peter,

We are the owners of what we believe to be a 1928 BB Black Hawk Stutz Roadster. We have attached 2 photographs of the vehicle as we are looking for some clarifictaion regarding the restoration of the Stutz, namely are these photographs accurate and is this indeed a 1928 BB Black Hawk Roadster/Speedster. Could you please advise any information you may have on the vehicle or alternatively, provide a contact who may be able to assist further. I am a member of the Stutz Club, but cannot locate my membership number at the present time. Searching through back newsletters I could not locate an e-mail address of the president or newsletter editor to allow me to contact them with this query directly.

Thank you for any assistance you can offer,

Kind regards,

John Kither

jskither@chariot.net.au

28stutz.jpg

I believe your car is a 1929 Blackhawk roadster. In 1927 & 1928 the word "Blackhawk" was used to describe the 8 cylinder boattail Stutz. In 1929, Stutz came out with a junior "companion car" and named it Blackhawk. Most of these had an overhead cam 6 engine. A few of them had am L head continental 8. The easiest way to tell in a photo is by the lenth of the hood. Your hood appears to be shorter then the 8 clyinder Stutz, thus making it a six cylinder Blackhawk, Look under the hood & let us know. The body on your car was a standard catelogue model that was designed & built by LeBaron. Body should be aluminum. Stutz offered roadsters with a cut down door (like yours) or straight across door in 1929.