rhurst

Vitage rollup shades

Does anyone know a source for vintage rollup shades.  I have a 1923 Hudson sedan that has 3.

The side windows are a little smaller than the back window.  Any help would be appreciated.

Robert

I believe the only ones available are Model A size.  Do you have the original shades?  If the rollers are in good condition, new fabric can be applied, I just did a set for a Packard sedan....

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, trimacar said:

I believe the only ones available are Model A size.  Do you have the original shades?  If the rollers are in good condition, new fabric can be applied, I just did a set for a Packard sedan....

Thank you David.

Yes my rollers appear to be in good shape.  I will look into new fabric.

Robert

Posted (edited)

What you want to find is “no fray” fabric, usually a local fabric store will carry it.  It does not have to have a hem in the edge.

You have to make sure you cut the fabric square and true.  I lay it out and used a long metal ruler as a guide to cut it with a razor blade.

The next trick is to glue the first 3/4 inch or so of the top to the roller, but it must be positioned perfectly, so that the fabric rolls up correctly.

Clean  your rollers well but do not paint them.  If you feel you must paint them, use a two part epoxy primer such as do-90 and no top coat.

Good luck, it’s time consuming but with the closing of LeBaron Bonney (which used to restore them) I don’t know another option....

Edited by trimacar (see edit history)

Just getting ready to do mine.  All my rollers appear to be in good shape and the original fabric is still there, although very brittle and prone to cracking.  So, the correct term is "no fray?"  Do they usually have it in different colors?  Thanks for posting this, I was at a loss after LB went under.

Posted (edited)

I don’t normally buy fabric there, but walked into a JoAnns fabric shop and asked if they had “no fray” fabric.  They did, about 6 little rolls, in odd colors but they did have black.  Be careful with it, as it seems to crease very easily....

I can’t emphasize enough to use a square when cutting fabric, and make sure it’s truly square.  Otherwise fabric will creep toward one side of roller.

Edited by trimacar (see edit history)

This is when I am most proud of our forums, an expert giving advice to fellow hobbyists.  This among other things is when our forums work as intended.  Thanks David for your willingness to share your knowledge. 

• Like 2

Image result for Oly*fun fabric black

Search for no-fray turned up this "non-woven" fabric

http://www.joann.com/olyfun-10-yard-bolt/zprd_14065353a.html

Introducing Oly*Fun – “The everything material” This is one of the easiest, most versatile materials you will ever find. You can sew it, glue it, staple it, pin it or tie it. You can write on it, paint it, embellish it, stamp it or stencil it. You can scissor, rotary, or die cut it. The only thing it won’t do is fray, tear, or fade so don’t bother hemming it.

•    Easy to cut & sew, no hemming required
•    Oly*Fun is a non woven material made with 100% polypropylene

• Like 1

Just did a search of suppliers for this material. It comes in up to 18 colours and can be ordered from WalMart according to their on-line catalogue. Sounds like an interesting material.

I just went back and looked at receipt, it’s also called “rip stop” material....

That's different than the  Oly*Fun stuff mentioned above. maybe it is better.

DESCRIPTION

Ripstop Nylon Fabric is a perfect utility fabric to use across a variety of creative projects. Made of 100% nylon, this woven and strong machine-washable fabric is tear and abrasion resistant so it makes a great choice to create outdoor flags, banners, backpacks, duffel bags, camping tents and more. It can also be used to make sturdy work uniforms, sportswear and protective clothing. Available in a wide range of colors for you to choose from, this rip stop utility fabric is sold by the yard.
Width: 59 inches
Content: 100% Nylon
Fabric weight: 64 gsm
Care: Machine wash warm, No chlorine bleach, Tumble dry medium and Cool iron
Made in China
Brand: Ripstop

http://www.joann.com/rip-stop-nylon/xprd560961.html

Posted (edited)

trimacar,

I am curious now. Why do you stress not to paint the roller? (not that I would anyway) but your post made it sound important not to do this.

Idle curiosity, nothing else.

Thnx, Greg

Edited by GregLaR (see edit history)

18 minutes ago, GregLaR said:

trimacar,

I am curious now. Why do you stress not to paint the roller? (not that I would anyway) but your post made it sound important not to do this.

Idle curiosity, nothing else.

Thnx, Greg

Good question, my reasoning is that a casual spray of paint, and the glue used to attach the material may just pull it off or dissolve it.  That’s why I recommended an epoxy primer if anything, my experience with DP-90 is that you can drag it across concrete and it stays put.

The original shades had the fabric hemmed on end and slid into a lengthwise slot in the roller.  I’ve not had success duplicating that method of attachment.

• Thanks 1