Hi guys, this seems like a dumb question but, my doors do not have a stay or limiter when opening. They will go fully 90 degrees, which I am pretty sure is  farther than they are supposed to open. Is there something missing here?

Here's a picture from last year.

Isn't she a beauty?

Lincoln wedding.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks Mssr. Bwatoe. Is there a part available or am I looking for:

NOS part.

Fabricate myself

or

Used part.

You wouldn't have an image of what's missing on my car, would you?

Thanks, Rick. 

I visited the car wreckers, found a 2016 Honda something left and right front door checks, fitted and works well, 3 stops, doesn't swing open or shut in wind.  Had to drill two 5/32" fixing holes in door frame . 

Edited by 38ShortopConv. (see edit history)

I have 06h-76 vs your 06h-56   both 40 zephyrs, but some differences--i will look it up, post a photo of your door jamb,

Lets see more pics of your car- looks like a show stopper   very nice!  (and top down!!)  I see a new generation of drivers that

actually lower the top... wrinkles be damned  way cool!  ford ebay  pic https://www.ebay.com/itm/1932-1948-Ford-Door-Check-Strap-1932-1933-1934-1935-1936-1937-1938-1940-1948/283810581745?hash=item42146dccf1:g:H2MAAOSw4tJeZ8U4

door jamb left.jpg

Edited by Mssr. Bwatoe (see edit history)

yes, perfect- there is a device on the door that creates the resistance, "detent"--I think you could peek in the lower corner

with a good light to see...or at least shoot a little solvent / lube  pbblaster or such, may free up the mechanism..

I dont really remember how it is configured...those are big heavy doors that most times get service  for door sag...maybe something

was left off--

There are three stop positions on the metal strap, the bumps wear down,  could build them up with welding but the internal springs loose tension and  break anyway so best to replace with a junk yard 5 year old modern replacement. See my earlier post. Those e/bay straps didn't appear to have any mid stops. Picture gone now. The wind can catch those big doors with no mid stops when ajar and wreck  the fixings. Trying to down load  picture, no success yet. Cant get the grandkids in with this covid 19 corona virus around. Stay tuned 

Manual calls for different door check P/N's for the different models.  Series 56 with a longer door may have shorter check arm so it stops earlier (smaller angle), or would not be able to reach out from the seat and grab the arm rest.  Series 73 4-door with shorter doors may swing out farther with larger angle because can still reach out from seat to shorter door and grab arm rest.  Don't have both parts to compare however.

637384129_DoorCheckP-NSer56.thumb.jpg.e15305a5b395836cdba9018edd544cfb.jpg1334182780_DoorCheckP-NSer73.thumb.jpg.e788a42fe257feb81586fb63f99a3eec.jpg1764889697_DoorCheck3(2).thumb.jpg.110cc5a576e43fa7e238e7281512d7f5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your help, I will get in there with the camera an see if I can see what's happening. I'm skittish to take the door panel off, is that difficult? Any suggestions to help me not make things worse?

Mssr. Bwatoe, when I acquired the car the top would not go down properly. It was a complete mystery because it seemed like a pretty new top but the only way we could get the top to go down was to unbolt one of the bows. I hated to do it but it would become so tight at the body just behind the driver's door, I thought it would rip if I forced it. Now I only drive it in clear weather. There is nothing permanent about what I did,could put it back without too much trouble. I like it down, and what a blind spot when it's up! You need a co pilot to make a lane change! Here she is with the top up.

Photo0252.jpg

If Cabr is similar to Sedans, is a small plate staked to inside of upholstery backing board holding the spring clip to the backing board.  Can slip 2 pieces of chipboard (cereal box) in the crack between the door upholstery and the door metal to protect both. Put small putty knife between the 2 pieces of chip board, pry out till a gap wide enough to see where the metal plates and spring clips are.  Then prying against metal on both sides (between plate & door, but with the chipboard protecting your paint and upholstery) you should be able to pop the spring clip out of the hole in the door sheet metal. They make small plastic pry bar upholstery tools (like a screw driver with a slight angled forked end) to do this as well if you have one, but if not you can carefully use a putty knife and screw driver to pry out the spring clips. Paul

DoorClip.jpg