Sign in to follow this  
6T-FinSeeker

1957 Buick Super Riviera 2dr Hardtop - MN - Not Mine

1957 Buick Super Riviera 2dr Hardtop in MN on Ebay    Phone: 507-386-1726

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1957-Buick-Super-Riviera-2dr-Hardtop/324108298617?hash=item4b765c2979:g:W-wAAOSw~exec5B-

Seller's description: 

1957 Buick Super Riviera with the "CC" code paint as it is Dover White top and bottom. Paint is in nice shape and is in overall driver-quality shape. Chrome and brightwork with red trim dividing the top and bottom accents this car very nicely. Straight and solid Buick that has been well taken care of over the years. The four vent-a-ports on the side distinguishing the Super trim level as are the three chevrons on the rear fender. Riding on wide whites with correct Buick wheel covers. Built in Flint, Michigan. This car was with the original owner that bought it in June of 1957 and she had it for the next 30+ years. Original title, oil servicing checklist, original owner's manual, accessories brochure, sales proposal are included as well. Has some of the original options still installed on this including the dual-speed wipers with fluid. Nicely equipped with power steering, power brakes, and dual exhaust. Under the hood is a NUMBERS MATCHING 364ci 6.0L Nailhead V8 paired with that optional automatic transmission. Interior features a black and white cloth/vinyl bench seat combination and the dash remains very stock. Vinyl does show some wear and because of that could be original vinyl. Optional tissue dispenser is installed. All gauges, radio, and blower fan appear to be working; wipers do not. Great running and driving NUMBERS MATCHING Buick Super Riviera!

image.png.1a845b26f84984fc7467623da7b1b392.png

image.png.7af16cd538f34fd20cdeb05a6f744e63.png

image.png.688c286d96459d2c5d682bc4e8105ffa.png

• Like 1

Benefits of AACA Membership.

Posted (edited)

This looks like an overall great original car, but there has been some work done to it.

Doors are suspect as there is filler plastered around the inside of the doors over the seam of the door skin, so may be some surprises hiding. 

Door panels, appear to have been redone, and armrests are not original to car (unless there is very odd and special history there) as it has integrated armrests like Roadmaster 75. I've never seen a Super with these; this was probably a custom touch.  Even regular Roadmaster coupes did not have this.  The door panels also would have been all vinyl on a Super and not with the patterned upholstery on top.  Trunk lining also not original type.

It is a nice looking car overall though! 

Edited by lancemb (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I appreciate the evaluations, such as Lance's above.

They save buyers from getting an incorrect car that

may cost hundreds or thousands of dollars to correct.

• Like 1

The molded integrated arm rests which Lance refers to did indeed occur that I know of at least in the Century lines for sure.  My all original 57 Caballero which I purchased in 1973 had them with a red/white cordovan  interior and sporting a clean chrome polished dash band like as seen in the sample photos below and have seen these molded arm rests  in some Supers as well.  Speaking of dash bands this is yet another odd yet factory accurate reoccurrence yet  cannot find this distinction in dealers interior selections of the period. As in could you order the molded arm rest interior and choose between center metal dash bands ?  I have seen both combinations and perhaps this was a regional factory thing.  Perhaps someone can clarify.  As a result you often find a Century or a Super with and or without the "machined " look on the chrome dash band while others have fully clear polished dash bands and some have molded arm rests as well.

354209145_MyCaballero-05.jpg.cdbe88fb16c958110bfcb5d5b1a99d67.jpg1247186202_MyCaballero-09.jpg.7bd1c5c7b278b914b33ecf34a0762703.jpg1935791460_MyCaballero-14.jpg.2abed6529dbe2a91c6c3262dd95f2d28.jpg1855306297_MyCaballero-11.jpg.447f173a881a14fd35aee7dce431d31c.jpg 

Buick man, interesting that you've observed Supers with the integrated arm rests.  I'd love to see pictures of a completely unmolested one with them.  I've never seen one.  I can't speak for the wagons; I think that's oranges and tangerines though.

There were certainly a lot of inconsistencies and variations in these, so I wouldn't rule it out.

Posted (edited)

Photos of a door panel with armrest and chrome polished dash band from the Ebay listing, for posterity.

image.png.31e249c697d60f9bbcf2be98b628ca7e.png

image.png.358dfb7cce31a69ebfce6a0e588c8912.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
To clarify (see edit history)
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, 6T-FinSeeker said:

Photos of a door panel with armrest and chrome polished dash band from the Ebay listing.

image.png.31e249c697d60f9bbcf2be98b628ca7e.png

Look at this pic.  It's obvious the car has had a cheap repaint and the door panels reupholstered.  Therefore, who knows what was done to it.

20200329_000915.jpg

• Like 2

Thank you, Lance.  And, as you pointed out in your post of March 19, some surprises might be hiding.  

• Like 1

Just my 2 cents worth, from what I have seen, the molded door handle / panel isn't the original. If you look at the 1957  Trim and Fabric book, they show for a Century and a Caballero a plastic molded piece, with tails so to speak that attaches to the door through the door panel. 

I respect Buick Man, and he is a pretty well versed Buick detail individual. However, I would venture to bet that the door panels, with integrated door holders were a late model year add, as Buick moved to that type in 1958 model, or conversely, the individuals doing the trim restoration on these vehicles had nothing to work with, hence maybe they had a 58 as an example. 

In all the literature that I have, it does not list a separate part number for a different door pull handle or door panel in the Century series. However, I will keep researching this, as it is intriguing. As for the engine turned v chromed IP insert. From what knowledge I have, the engine turned dash panel was on the Century. The chrome plated one was exclusive for the Caballero (on the 60 Series vehicles) I am not familiar with the Senior Series applications, as I leave that to Lance and Buick Man. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, 1957buickjim said:

Just my 2 cents worth, from what I have seen, the molded door handle / panel isn't the original. If you look at the 1957  Trim and Fabric book, they show for a Century and a Caballero a plastic molded piece, with tails so to speak that attaches to the door through the door panel. 

I respect Buick Man, and he is a pretty well versed Buick detail individual. However, I would venture to bet that the door panels, with integrated door holders were a late model year add, as Buick moved to that type in 1958 model, or conversely, the individuals doing the trim restoration on these vehicles had nothing to work with, hence maybe they had a 58 as an example. 

In all the literature that I have, it does not list a separate part number for a different door pull handle or door panel in the Century series. However, I will keep researching this, as it is intriguing. As for the engine turned v chromed IP insert. From what knowledge I have, the engine turned dash panel was on the Century. The chrome plated one was exclusive for the Caballero (on the 60 Series vehicles) I am not familiar with the Senior Series applications, as I leave that to Lance and Buick Man. 

My 57 Super coupe (went to CA long ago) came with the engine turned dash and I've seen others without it, so I know those came both ways.  The ones without were not chromed stamped steel like what came in the 75, 75R, and most 76C models though (at least the ones I've seen); they were polished aluminum.

I'm pretty certain that the dash pad has also been recovered in this Ebay car.  As such, I wouldn't be surprised if the dash panel was also upgraded to chrome.

Edited by lancemb (see edit history)
  • Like 1