Auburn Indiana May 7-9 Cancelled

With deepest regrets Auburn, Indiana is now cancelled.  RM just announced that it is necessary for them to cancel the Spring Auction which means we are no able to host an event there.  Folks, I am sure we will have more to say later but the State of Pennsylvania is forcing us to close our office.  

Guest Mark McAlpine

Sad to hear, but understandable considering the ongoing crisis.  Thank you for relaying the news, Steve.  

You and the rest of the AACA HQ & Library staff are in our thoughts and prayers.  Stay safe and stay healthy!  

Refunds for Auburn will automatically be sent to you.  Please bear with us as we will need time to process everything.  None of your registration checks were cashed but judges were and that will take a bit longer to handle.  Thanks for your patience!! 

You guys are the best....Thanks Tommy and Terry.  Sad, Crazy, Scary  times we are in.  In the office today trying to think of ideas  we can use....anxious to see how the I-racing goes tomorrow with NASCAR.  I hope it is successful.  We are working on some things already to keep people engaged.  

This is a heart breaker, we always look forward to Auburn. Hope all is well with you Steve, take care and stay safe. Gives me a little more time to get Debbies new ride done. This is what I'm spending my time on, her 57 Beetle, I have two cars being restored, the Beetle and a 60 Pontiac.

57 Beetle.jpg

• Like 1

Trust us, we are very, very disappointed but respect the reasons why RM decided to cancel.  We had a special year planned this year and it is one of our favorite events of the year.  Just have to come back bigger and better in 2021.  In the meantime, most of the staff is working from home and I am without a Giordano's Pizza.  I know my daughter was picking up Portillo's for my granddaughters small 13th birthday party today.  Man I miss the Chicago food!

6 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Toomy, look forward to seeing both the new restorations!  Tell us more about the '60 Pontiac!  I am sure it does not have a small engine in it!

Aw man, Steve, you don't have to twist my arm to get me to talk about my latest big car project! As you know, I love big Pontiac's with big motors and this one is a 1960 Ventura Sport Coupe that I purchased several years ago and have never had the time to complete. 1960 was the first year Pontiac offered the Borg Warner T 10 4 speed transmission,  I have a letter from Pontiac confirming they built 722 of them and this is one of those cars. It is also equipped with a 425A motor with the Tri-Power which was the largest available motor in 1960. I'm lucky to have the original paperwork with the car, PHS can't document back farther than 61. The first thing the judges or anyone  will probably question will be the color, Pontiac in 1960 did not offer a bright red,  they had a very poplar color called Coronado Red which was maroon. This car was special ordered 1959 Pontiac Mandalay Red which is bright red. A 37 dollar option.  Because they didn't offer the bright red, they didn't have a matching interior so the car has the maroon Coronado Red interior which looks a little weird.  I attached a couple of photo's, note the paint code on the cowl tag. Hope to have it finished in time to show it this year, might be Hershey.

6 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

60 Ventura Sport Coupe.jpg

60 cowl tag.jpg

• Like 1

Tommy, don't get any pieces mixed up, although those 8 lug wheels would look mighty neat on the VW!  Speaking of Pontiacs, I've got a bit more info on the barn-find I posted earlier.  Although I've not been able to get through the weeds to see it in person yet, I did learn it's a 67 GTO convertible.  Don't even now if it's got an engine yet, but am working on getting a closer look and contacting the property owner.  No idea what I'd do with another project but this might be difficult to resist if it's right and all the stars are lined up.

We'll miss Auburn too as we had a few side-trips planned including time in Ohio and Michigan visiting with family.

Terry

Partly hidden Goat 1.jpeg

43 minutes ago, real61ss said:

Aw man, Steve, you don't have to twist my arm to get me to talk about my latest big car project! As you know, I love big Pontiac's with big motors and this one is a 1960 Ventura Sport Coupe that I purchased several years ago and have never had the time to complete. 1960 was the first year Pontiac offered the Borg Warner T 10 4 speed transmission,  I have a letter from Pontiac confirming they built 722 of them and this is one of those cars. It is also equipped with a 425A motor with the Tri-Power which was the largest available motor in 1960. I'm lucky to have the original paperwork with the car, PHS can't document back farther than 61. The first thing the judges or anyone  will probably question will be the color, Pontiac in 1960 did not offer a bright red,  they had a very poplar color called Coronado Red which was maroon. This car was special ordered 1959 Pontiac Mandalay Red which is bright red. A 37 dollar option.  Because they didn't offer the bright red, they didn't have a matching interior so the car has the maroon Coronado Red interior which looks a little weird.  I attached a couple of photo's, note the paint code on the cowl tag. Hope to have it finished in time to show it this year, might be Hershey.

60 cowl tag.jpg

What a nice Pontiac. I owned a 1960 Ventura with factory trips and a hydro back in the late Seventies. It was Skyline Blue. Wish I still owned it. The Wide Track Pontiacs were well built, great driving cars. I always enjoy seeing your cars, and speaking with you at Hershey. Looking forward to seeing the '60. Thanks, John

Guest Mark McAlpine
On 3/21/2020 at 10:00 PM, real61ss said:

60 cowl tag.jpg

Nice car with some interesting history, Tommy!  Like the others, I look forward to seeing it.  I love the days when GM (and others) would allow you to order special paint or, in Chevrolet's case, special engine options through the Central Office Production Order (COPO).

Best wishes to you and Debbie.  Be safe and stay healthy.  Marion & I look forward to seeing you in Charlotte.

On 3/21/2020 at 11:07 PM, real61ss said:

Thanks, John, look forward to seeing you also. 

Terry, you sure there is a car in there!!!     :)

Yes, if you look closely you'll see the stacked headlights.  I've personally not been close enough to see details, but the guy who discovered it has.  I'd mentioned before it's a kinda scary place, and he fully agrees.  There is a house on the property but apparently it's full of stuff.  Everything is grown up around it and the place is littered with broken down old trucks, and all kinds of junk.  There is a house-trailer behind the house and apparently that's where the owner lives.  He's reported to be a kind of reclusive individual who speaks only from behind a closed window with curtains pulled away so he can see who he's talking to.  He said the car used to be his wife's and he is going to give it to the kids to fix up.  No more conversation than that, and when the curtains were closed again, it was obvious the discussion had ended.  Will still keep an eye on things though.  Someday there will be a clear-out or an auction.  We can just hope it's not another case of a nice car slowly rotting away.

Terry