Mars

Mars

Disconnect the caseing from the speedometer head.  Pull the cable out, clean any old dried grease.  Lubricate the bottom third of the cable and reinstall.

I disconnected it from the unit, but it doesn't seem to want to come out. I pulled with pliers. I don't want to break something that works for a little noise. Do I have to remove both ends? Thanks, be safe 

You might have to remove the casing from the transmission.  I am not a WPC person but I have never had a speedo cable that wouldn't slide out easily.

• 2 weeks later...

Disconnect cable from transmission, pull out inner cable, wipe off grease and dirt, lubricate with speedo cable lubricant, do not lubricate the top 6" or 12" (to prevent grease getting into speedo head) then reinstall. This needs to be done every 20 to 50 years to stop speedo needle jumping and noise. If the cable is badly rusted you may need to replace it, but as a rule they never wear out.

• 1 month later...
On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 4:59 AM, Mars said:

What is special about speedometer grease? What about regular auto grease?

Something about it creeping up into the head and gumming up the works.

• 7 months later...

Which end of the inner cable is stuck?  If you unscrew the casing at the top (the speedometer head) and the bottom (transmission), can

you pull back the casing and inner cable from either the speedo or the transmission?

If you can separate them from the transmission but not the speedo head, you may have the same problem I had some years ago (with my Brand X).

In my case, the speedo gears had jammed but the cable (still connected to the transmission) kept rotating.  This resulted in the cable (which is essentially a long spring) twisting around into a  ball of steel, jamming it within the casing.  I don't recall how I removed the casing and cable from the speedo head eventually, but my memory is a blur of hacksaws, wire cutters, pliers, sweat and curses.  Both casing and cable had to be replaced -- after I sent the speedo head out to be overhauled, of course.