Dual master cylinder for 41 President

Eleanor needs a new master cylinder (or this one sleeved). Neither is cheap. So...Since it's the same MC as a c cab I'm going to look at my 59 and call Turner Brakes, as he sells dual cylinder bracket kits for c and t cabs. Has anyone done this kind of upgrade yet? 

Check your basic  L x W x H   and the bolt pattern before you call.   Call Turner and ask.  He is helpful and if someone has done it,  he will let you know.   

I would guess it is the same type of install on a Lark or Hawk which I have done.  The hardest was a  60 Lark convertible where the M/C hit on the extra metal that only they have.    Should not be too hard.  

I have used a 69 Ford  f100 master in my 40 Commander. I bolted it into the existing master location. I believe had drill 2 new holes. The new unit had a two bolt flang and the original was three bolt. The brake linkage to master rod was about 1/2 inch short. A spacer rod will need to be installed in the piston tube to to make up for this. New master had the same size piston front and back do no proportiong valve was required. Just a little plumbing. This reduced the pedal pressure and gave price of mind. 

64 truck brakes are self centering full actuating. Backing plates will bolt right on and work with existing drums. You will need to have a have a new Emergency cable made. Huge improvement in braking  with less pedal pressure.

• Like 1

Very cool tip  Studenut 1915!

I'd have to look, John  but may have backing plates and hardware from a 63  or 64 up in Ferndale...    If not,  most 63 & 64's had those brakes& it will help in the search.

I'm converting to dual simply because it's real cost effective to do so now and I want that safety. The brakes work really well already. 

The '41 president shoes/drums are 2.25 x 11 vs 2 × 11 for commanders and postwar trucks, and the stock master cylinder bore was 1-1/8" vs 1" for postwar trucks. Adjusting the '41 brakes can be finicky, but shoot, I have a lift.

Jim seems ready to support on the MC upgrade. I'll take pics.

I think if you plumb 2 into one, then back to 2 you run into complications, but the hill holder may still work.......    Not easy, but that's why they call it custom.

Having a hill holder is pretty cool.  I would  try /do everything possible to retain that feature even if it meant going with a line lock.