Happy 100th Birthday-Snap-on Tools

TerryB

Thanks to my late father-in-law, my wife and I received Snap-on Stock shares from his estate when he passed away.  He was a Snap-on dealer beginning his career with them in the mid 1950s and continuing until the late 1980s.   Today we got our stockholder packet with the notation on the annual report indicating this year is the 100th anniversary of the founding of the company.  The report didn’t say we would be getting any 100th anniversary swag for being stockholders but it is great to see a company going strong after that length of time.  

A funny story about meeting my wife.  We met through mutual friends.  At the time she had her own home as did I.  One weekend I was helping her with a project at her house and told her I needed a screwdriver. She said to find the toolbox in the closet as her home repair tools were in it.  I go to the closet and find a small Snap-on tool box, inside was a whole bunch of Snap-on and Blue Point tools.  Confused, I said to her “how is it you have all these Snap-on tools for your house?”  Response, “oh that’s easy, my dad is one of those Snap-on tools sales guy that sell from his truck”.  It was like finding out dad owned a gold mine!  We’ve been together for 36 years, married for 31.  The tool discount was wonderful for as long as it lasted!

Edited by TerryB (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Ditto, ditto, and ditto, John. 100% ditto. I still hope to drive all the way across the country for one last Hershey before I send that bucket flying from a well-placed kick. Then I would get to meet you, Terry, and even YOU TOO, John, my friend. I understand you share a peculiar taste in music with me !   🤔💀🤪🙂   

Old and in the way these days,  rather incapable of gravity defying feats anymore,    -   CC 

• Like 1

Notice Snap-on does not have engraved on it made in USA anymore. They gave me a new ratchet on exchange after the switch broke off of the one I had . Then I found the ball was missing on the new one the first time I went to use it. I phoned to complain about the quality and they could not tell me where it was made as their tools come from different country's now. I am guessing China maybe India but did you notice they did not reduce the price when Snap-On left the quality USA made. 

By the way Terry she is a keeper.

Great story, reminds me of Fran the Snap-on guy who visited the garage I worked at years ago weekly.  All young guys at the time.  Everyone bought a few tools at a time on credit.  I did as well although I was not planning on being a mechanic.  I did oil changes, etc, for a little while which beat pumping gas for a kid.  Fran was a good guy who had time for everyone.  

As it was, I was thinking about careers.  I thought that might be a cool gig but I know it has challenges like any other small business, AR in general and occasionally getting stiffed by someone was a big part of it.  Saw that happen firsthand. 

To this day I wonder how many stag tickets Fran bought over the years...

I have an old snap-on upper tool box,I think it's a 1958.I know it's not the oldest in existence out there but I think snap-on should hold a contest for the oldest tool box with the winner getting new tools or a new box.Just my opinion.Thanks,Greg.

Snap-on tool sales from the franchise truck operators is now only 35% of their business as seen in the chart from their stock information book.  I’ve also attached a photo of all the companies now under the Snap-on ownership umbrella.  They are quite diverse.

8648BE17-7799-4C0C-94E3-B3C68AAED567.jpeg

01EC4DD0-66DB-4E7D-84B1-64762E115B7B.jpeg

Great thought - let's see some Snap on relics.  This was sent to me today by a good friend who enjoys his Model T and all the stuff that goes with it.  This early Snap-on tool box has a chart in the lid showing the Model T chassis and how tools were used for specific purposes.  Doubt there are many of these still around!

Terry

Snap On Model T tool chest.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/19/2020 at 1:49 PM, ejboyd5 said:

Let's celebrate the 100th by posting pictures of Snap-On's interesting offerings:

Snap-On Valve Adjuster.jpg

I have one of these. It's for adjusting valves on OHV engines. Dandy Dave! 

On 3/19/2020 at 1:26 PM, TerryB said:

Snap-on tool sales from the franchise truck operators is now only 35% of their business as seen in the chart from their stock information book.  I’ve also attached a photo of all the companies now under the Snap-on ownership umbrella.  They are quite diverse.

8648BE17-7799-4C0C-94E3-B3C68AAED567.jpeg

01EC4DD0-66DB-4E7D-84B1-64762E115B7B.jpeg

Interesting to see that Sioux Power tools is listed. I have a lot of Sioux valve grinding equipment and accessory's. Just did a valve job several days ago on an all aluminum LS that is in a Chevy pickup. The owner said they did not build many pickups with this engine. Most are in Corvettes I was told. It's a lot newer than the stuff I usually work on so I'm not real familiar with all the details. Dandy Dave!    

I had a thread some time ago regarding my Snap-On item. It's a display case shaped like a typical garage with a removable plexi cover. I use it to hold some of my model cars and trucks. Bought it in Rhinebeck over 20 years ago. When I brought it up several years ago, no one had ever seen one like it...

Frank

snapon.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/19/2020 at 9:15 PM, Laughing Coyote said:

Was it a truck like this?

Image result for vintage snap on tool box logo

First Gear makes scale models of these small vans including the I-H Metro seen above, which are made for several different companies with their logos on them.

I don't have a Metro, nor do I have one with Snap-On logos on it, but I do have a '50 Ford stepvan and a 1961 Divco Dividend van with Lennox logos on it which Snap-On offered at one time.

Craig

IMG_0335.JPG

IMG_0345.JPG

• Like 1

18 hours ago, W_Higgins said:

This works really well on the era of car for which it is intended, though I must admit the new optical machines require a lot less of a workout to accomplish the same job.

20200321_142754[1].jpg

The shop my better other half is in partners with just put in one of those new alignment systems all computerized with cameras. All you need to do is tell it what make or car it is and it will tell you what to do from there. Her Brother in law still has a Bear Alignment sign that hung on the old shop back in the 1960's. Dandy Dave! 

1 hour ago, Dandy Dave said:

The shop my better other half is in partners with just put in one of those new alignment systems all computerized with cameras. All you need to do is tell it what make or car it is and it will tell you what to do from there. Her Brother in law still has a Bear Alignment sign that hung on the old shop back in the 1960's. Dandy Dave! 

If you've ever done an alignment on a knee action GM product that uses the single pin to set both the caster and camber, it is absolute luxury to watch both numbers change on the screen as you rotate the pin.

• Like 2