Man them Buick boys at gm thought of everything!

arnulfo de l.a.

I don’t know if you are right. But I thought the same thing when I struggled with my rubbing issues. I wished they woulda clearanced a lot more of that for guys like me riding lower haha. I know…they didn’t expect dumb jackasses like me to lower the car any more than what the car was engineered for. So I used that factory indentation as my guide & cut the s#!+ 😊

Edit: so I guess them Buick boys didn’t think of everything. I wasn’t around in 65. But I bet guys were lowering cars in 65 too 😊

Edited by RockinRiviDad (see edit history)

Two on each side, I think. One in front of and one behind the centerline of the tire., for left and right turns. I had to trim my stainless wheel opening molding a little more to clear these, but it took care of my rubbing problem. Yours looks like it has already been trimmed. Mine was not trimmed at all, and ran right by these divots at full width on each side.

My '60 Electra and my '64 Riviera are parked side by side in the front of my garage right now. and the Riviera is parked on 2X8's because it is over the scissors lift. I was just noticing how much lower the Riviera sits.

And that's on 7.10 X 15 biased tires.

Lowering. Really?

010.thumb.jpg.89fd94b9a12acc478d93c3db44634d7c.jpg

• Like 3

Yea  Bernie really! Back in the 70's the measuring stick was a pack of cigarettes laying on the tall face of the pack.if you could get a pack under the front or rear bumpers you were too high. It,was about having the car "lay" on the ground. That was while parked of course and when hydraulics first came on the scene. When driving the car was raised just enough to keep the undercarriage from scraping. Good times from long ago!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arnulfo de l.a. said:

Yea  Bernie really! Back in the 70's the measuring stick was a pack of cigarettes laying on the tall face of the pack.if you could get a pack under the front or rear bumpers you were too high. It,was about having the car "lay" on the ground. That was while parked of course and when hydraulics first came on the scene. When driving the car was raised just enough to keep the undercarriage from scraping. Good times from long ago!

Beautiful pair ya have there Bernie. But yes, everything looks better lowered😁😎

673D2581-B592-467A-BABE-9BAD311AF63B.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, 71GS said:

Beautiful pair ya have there Bernie. But yes, everything looks better lowered😁😎

Have to say I agree. I had to go back and find these, but here is a before and after of mine. Yes, lowered is much better.

Before.JPG

After.JPG

• Like 1

True words Ed but for me too much work to keep clean especially if your car is a daily driver as mine is. One of the main reasons I'm changing to the widened rallys ,aside from really liking the way they look widened, is the ease at which it will be to keep them clean. Also , the beauty rings are so cheap that if I damage one it's no big deal to replace.finally the fact that they were a factory option is just icing on the cake!

I bought this set of 3" beauty rings and mounted them on a set of #802 wheels without widening them.  

20180207_102136.thumb.jpg.b5bb11045f84c5684000cee30513da81.jpg

The gap that is visible is the same around the wheel; it's only the camera angle that makes it appear in this photo. I took the picture before repainting the wheels. Yep, that's my reflection on the ring.

• Like 1

Lay on any flat surface and measure from the surface the ring is laying on to the top of  the ring .I could be wrong but the rim in your picture looks like a 853. The reason I say that is because the webbing around the lug nut holes is not smooth like the 802's. The webbing kind of dips. I have a 853 that looks like the rim you have there . I will take a picture of it next to an 802 to show you what I mean. I noticed the difference after I bought and widened the 802s.Had I known sooner , I would have gotten the 853 for the slightly deeper look .

1 hour ago, arnulfo de l.a. said:

You got it right no difference in the face of the rim , so there is no difference between the 2  as to how the beauty ring would fit. So being the mounting surfaces are different , the 853's would be pushed out slightly further towards the fender ,correct? 

Both the 802 and the 853 have the same dimensions - width, offset, back spacing, etc.  The big difference is in the bolt surface and profile of the back.

802 for drum brakes

20190416_144040.thumb.jpg.4d2b0d978d242d16e6ac83f3f8f9ce8b.jpg

853 for disk brakes - allows room for the caliper

20190416_144044.thumb.jpg.ff7e1b635f502a90730314dcf9a651a9.jpg

12 hours ago, arnulfo de l.a. said:

Lay on any flat surface and measure from the surface the ring is laying on to the top of  the ring .I could be wrong but the rim in your picture looks like a 853. The reason I say that is because the webbing around the lug nut holes is not smooth like the 802's. The webbing kind of dips. I have a 853 that looks like the rim you have there . I will take a picture of it next to an 802 to show you what I mean. I noticed the difference after I bought and widened the 802s.Had I known sooner , I would have gotten the 853 for the slightly deeper look .

Yep...

Tom

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

Both the 802 and the 853 have the same dimensions - width, offset, back spacing, etc.  The big difference is in the bolt surface and profile of the back.

802 for drum brakes

20190416_144040.thumb.jpg.4d2b0d978d242d16e6ac83f3f8f9ce8b.jpg

853 for disk brakes - allows room for the caliper

20190416_144044.thumb.jpg.ff7e1b635f502a90730314dcf9a651a9.jpg

Yep...

Tom

The 802, 853 stampings are on the back half of the 2 piece rim. The 802 are drum brake and the 853 are disc brake. The codes dont necessarily dictate the version of the face or front half of the rim. There are 802 rims with 2 inch and 2 1/2 inch center holes.... 853 rims with both drum brake and disc brake style faces. This is the reason I have always encouraged folks to check the characteristics of the rims instead of just checking codes. Sometimes there are no codes. Be careful using the charts...

Tom Mooney

• Like 1