Longuemare/Holley 1903 carburetor value

trimacar

3 minutes ago, padgett said:

Suspect this is a good time to take what you can get.

To me, it’s a very bad time for panic selling.  I have a sister who panics every time the market goes down, sells, and has consistently lost money.  If she’d just let it ride she’d still be ahead even at this market.

I get a fair price or I keep it, simple as that.  Thanks dc

• Thanks 1

David if you've not already done some internet digging, you should be able to do a little research on this - I know these carbs, and for that matter even similar motors have been sold at auction.  A good source of information can be those past auction results.  I know that annually, there is a pre-London-Brighton run auction with a strong focus on Brighton-era vehicles and parts conducted by Bonhams.   You may not find the exact item but you'll be in the ballpark.  You might want to also check Prewar.com.

Terry

I for one would be interested in seeing some pictures of these. I have seen a few very early Holley carburetors. I have heard of Longuemare, but am not familiar with them. I do have an early Holley type carburetor, it came with an early gasoline carriage project I got some years back. It is packed away somewhere, waiting for me to get to working on the project. At this point, I have no way of knowing if the carburetor I have is original to the car or not. I would guess that it isn't. I would like to know just how early it may be so I could at least think it could be correct for the car or not.

2 hours ago, mercer09 said:

PHOTOS WOULD BE NICE...................

Here you go.  I was just asking opinions on the carb, nothing is for sale right now.  It came with the 1903 Pierce engine, so it's probably best for it to stay with it.

carb 1.JPG

carb 2.JPG

IMG_5300.JPG

• Like 3

Since I know where there is a chassis for a Pierce engine exactly like that.......the engine won't go for bottom feeder prices. Add the engine to the chassis, and you have a real, correct Brighton project, of an interesting car. Ed

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, edinmass said:

Since I know where there is a chassis for a Pierce engine exactly like that.......the engine won't go for bottom feeder prices. Add the engine to the chassis, and you have a real, correct Brighton project, of an interesting car. Ed

Interesting.

It's a little like the Studebaker Avanti R-5, the Andy Granatelli Duo Cento double supercharged speed car.  My best friend up here has the engine, bought from the Granatellis, another person in Pennsylvania has the rest of the car.  Neither want to sell, but together it's the absolute rarest Avanti that exists.....

R5 Studebaker engine.jpg

Edited by trimacar (see edit history)

1 hour ago, trimacar said:

Interesting.

It's a little like the Studebaker Avanti R-5, the Andy Granatelli Duo Cento double supercharged speed car.  My best friend up here has the engine, bought from the Granatellis, another person in Pennsylvania has the rest of the car.  Neither want to sell, but together it's the absolute rarest Avanti that exists.....

That is how good partnerships can be born.

Yeah I like that carburetor! And the engine too. I would love to hear of it going onto a proper chassis and being restored! I do know a fellow that has one of the earliest Pierce automobiles.  A very original and nearly complete car, with the one cylinder motor mounted on the rear axle. I have seen it. I like it.

• Like 1