Virtual Cars and Coffee Saturday

3macboys

I'm sitting here streaming the Dropkick Murphy's thinking to myself with all these shows being cancelled let's do a virtual Cars and Coffee Saturday morning, your local time of course, which should give plenty of hours of cars that we haven't seen before.  We've got a few days to get a car cleaned up and ready to show off - so what do you say?  Brew a cup or two, post a few pictures and let the conversation flow!

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Mark Wetherbee said:

Funny how many people were streaming Drop Kick Murphy’s - it was really weird without an audience...

I will only be able to share old pictures as my “new” car is in pieces...

Those might be old to you but to a good many they may have never seen your car(s) before

My Chrysler CD8 Roadster is a rolling chassis only (body is 100 miles away) and my '31 Chevrolet Coach is hidden in car tent behind the snow-blower, snow tires, summer tires shovels, ......well you get the picture! But I will post something, sharing a cuppa with like-minded car nuts sounds better than doing the NYT Crossword!

• Like 2

I had my 1966 fury out today, Allput back together after paint plus fixing some things that have been a thing every time I take it on a tour .Took the 1930 Oakland on the drive way still have a running problem. Work on that in the next few days , Found out what the problem with the air on Annettes 1976 olds ,air would not come on . The thermal limiter switch was bad. Order a new one . Then we got out Grandaughters 72 MGB , battery was dead put shut off switch in . Then took it for a nice run . Kings32 

• Like 3

Good Morning Everyone, first cup of coffee is on hand and here's what I decided to bring out today, not totally free from it's winter slumber but the sun is shining here so maybe a run around the block later

20200318_094618[1].jpg

20200318_094632[1].jpg

• Like 3

Good morning all. 

the Coffee is on and being enjoyed, but travel plans have been a little crazy so I still have the kids. Might not be hanging out in the garage this morning. Looking forward to everyone else’s pics though!

Here is my 1931 Reo Royale Victoria 8 - 31 before I started on the wood rebuilding which all has to be replaced right down to the sills.

There is only a few of these 8 - 31 known to survive.

A Royale in a forest metal rotted out. [ middle picture ]

A Royale member in Alaska saved this Royale [ bottom picture } and had it shipped to his home.

image.png.378b4496e68efde7505658e951f5ff7c.png

image.thumb.png.37d9bda5b364c602ed8bb8e862058fe0.png

image.png.2607779d3ce27a3d8b66fafb88387fc1.png

Edited by Mark Gregory (see edit history)
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Mark Gregory said:

Here is my 1931 Reo Royale Victoria 8 - 31 before I started on the wood rebuilding which all has to be replaced right down to the sills.

There is only a few of these 8 - 31 known to survive.

image.png.378b4496e68efde7505658e951f5ff7c.png

The steel looks solid and straight though, was the wood at least good enough to use for patterns?

• Like 1

Have you driven a royale much?  There used to be one in my town (the guy that had it still has a couple flying clouds), but the royale wasn’t much of a tour car so he got rid of it. I always thought he should invest in a new rear end gear (or whole rear end) and get some enjoyment out of an absolutely stunning car, but as it was he was searching for another gear long before the model A fords were at their typical (for my club) 42 mph cruising speed. 

Don the roof framing was completely gone and I did not have any patterns only a picture of the wood framing a Royale member gave me.

I designed my own roof wood framing with the arc and chamber made from cardboard templates.

Luckily the other wood was good enough to use as patterns.

The tricky part was trying put the wood sills exactly into their position under the sheet metal sides of the car.

I had made a jig up for reference so it was just time consuming positioning the body on the sills.

The wood trouble was caused by the car been stored outside in Utah where they get lots of snow and the snow melts and trickles into all the wood framing.

You are right the metal is in very good shape and where they leaded the car together it is still solid.

Mark

• Like 3

Mark,

I've got a 30 AA Ford Truck that I have to do the same thing with.  I've been sort of putting off the wood work as I really want to think it through before I take anything apart and scarf in new pieces.  The big problem is it's a Canadian built chassis with a custom cab from an unknown builder so all I have to work with is the original pieces.  We definitely know that it's Canadian from the Robertson screws used in it and suspect the cab may have been built at Brantford Coachbuilders.

Don  

• Like 2

Good morning all you early and late risers. My cuppa comes form a local coffee roasters company "Just Us", and I prefer their Italian grind, specs for tasting notes say "high roast, high body, low acidity"!  The '31 Chevrolet is a Special Coach, a term used in Canada for Deluxe models, has side-mounts, cowl lights etc, currently self -quarantined! The '31 Chrysler CD8 Roadster is in for minor repairs, should be finished in a year or so. To prove I am up to date, here interestingly enough is today's local paper which I picked up at end of driveway this am while out photographing the cars. You guessed it, front page photo of a woods find car! Anyone able to name it before K31 gets to it? Enjoy.

IMG_6186 (2).JPG

IMG_6185.JPG

IMG_6189 (2).JPG

• Like 2

image.png.2607779d3ce27a3d8b66fafb88387fc1.png

I always think that it is a shame the way some of those cars were "disposed of" but you have to wonder how many parts were salvage back in the day to keep something else running and on the road?

Don

• Like 1

I said before that they will be older pictures...

The 1928 A phaeton was sold to someone in northern Vermont, and my 1929 roadster wound up in Switzerland shortly before moving from Maine to North Carolina. My 26 T is being stored in a friends garage while I have the Pierce engine apart in my small 2-car garage but gets out occasionally even though the traffic here is terrible for the 35MPH driving! And my “newest” toy is a 1931 Pierce-Arrow, which is pretty much out for the count as the place making my new pistons is in California...

That later A is a friends car that I was helping sort. His son is hanging over the hood in a staged breakdown. 

80D00D03-DE22-49C7-8200-843967CAEE5B.jpeg

FC035E94-D04A-4C94-BF64-20CDB3691AC2.jpeg

B32F8BEE-EEA6-4498-8B29-77676216048D.jpeg

41C74D06-0EF5-4D15-8417-9433F12456A5.jpeg

539C49AA-90E2-4DF6-8BD7-946ADD04222D.jpeg

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, gossp said:

Kids fed and happily ignoring me: Dads garage is more interesting, warmer, and I have some parts to box up there. 

815AE48F-CD37-4308-B6EB-775629A824C1.jpeg

Cheers to that cup!  And the shop is pretty darn nice as well!

Don

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Gunsmoke said:

The '31 Chrysler CD8 Roadster is in for minor repairs, should be finished in a year or so.

Funny how only in the old car world can minor and soon be referenced by years and not days or hours

Don 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I thought you would enjoy the cup. It came in a box of stuff my parents were dumping out under instructions to keep or donate. My 6 year old saw it and invented a story about when she gave me the cup with the pretty leaf for Father’s Day.... it is now the cup I use every morning!  

D9DF73C3-8FF0-4CF1-A7B4-DB45B4CE8D70.jpeg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, gossp said:

I thought you would enjoy the cup. It came in a box of stuff my parents were dumping out under instructions to keep or donate. My 6 year old saw it and invented a story about when she gave me the cup with the pretty leaf for Father’s Day.... it is now the cup I use every morning!  

D9DF73C3-8FF0-4CF1-A7B4-DB45B4CE8D70.jpeg

For that reason alone that cup is worth more than the contents of the garage

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, 3macboys said:

For that reason alone that cup is worth more than the contents of the garage

I get some form of gift from her every day, and have coffee cups the kids made for me that sit on a shelf in my room and never get used... for that reason, and the fact that it belonged to a very dear friend before it came to my father, I would rather have the Maxwell!!

• Like 1

Things are still pretty quiet up here. The '25 Buick has been run recently. The '29 McLaughlin and '21 Chevy are ready to run. Sometimes it's nice just to go out and "visit". The half doors in front of the "29 are for the latest stablemate,a 1999 Jeep TJ Sahara. They are a rare commodity here in rust free or unmodified condition.This one spent it's life in BC and Arizona,with many of it's miles logged up behind a big motorhome. While not a recognized collector vehicle yet, I feel it's worth preserving. Besides,I just like Jeeps,pre-2007. It remains to be seen if there will be any place to drive to this year.

Hoping all will stay safe and healthy.

Jim

IMG_1619.JPG

IMG_1618.JPG

IMG_1601.JPG

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, TerryB said:

My winter garage is a table in our sunroom.  Here are some recent garage projects.  I really enjoy the posts of the real cars, this was great idea.  

61874CE3-F93B-4843-BD2D-18B0910EA4A5.jpeg

Terry,

I think that you just doubled the car count, not to mention adding some rare ones!  An Isetta, a Pierce Arrow and a 63 Split Window!  That's quite the eclectic collection but one anyone would be proud to have in their garage.

Don

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 3macboys said:

IMG_1618.JPG

Beautiful cars - that crossing sign is bound to get the attention of some of the Aussie's on here

The sign has caught Aussie eyes before ! An Aussie friend once sent me a magazine with extensive coverage of a big rally down under. The local Ministry of Transport ran a full page ad showing many of the local road signs.When I spotted the 'roo crossing sign I just had to have one. A nearby 3M division made the mactac sign for them.My friend shipped this to me and I had a metal backing made. Another local friend worked at the Woodstock PUC,where a vacuum machine was located to put it all together .Probably not too many in Canada,eh ?

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, J.H.Boland said:

The sign has caught Aussie eyes before ! An Aussie friend once sent me a magazine with extensive coverage of a big rally down under. The local Ministry of Transport ran a full page ad showing many of the local road signs.When I spotted the 'roo crossing sign I just had to have one. A nearby 3M division made the mactac sign for them.My friend shipped this to me and I had a metal backing made. Another local friend worked at the Woodstock PUC,where a vacuum machine was located to put it all together .Probably not too many in Canada,eh ?

I suspect that friend lived around the corner from me and his son was a teacher of mine - John can partially be blamed for my old car illness