REO to Olympic

Povertycove

The question is partly theoretical, though there is a nice 33 REO for sale on the HCCA website. But when I was putting together my 33 coupe last year, I wondered what the sum differences were. As I understand it, all Franklin did was change engine, grille, hood, lights and the “F” on the dashboard. Is that all?

Why would anyone wish to destroy a good REO, take a Franklin engine and body parts out of circulation, spend a lot of money on bodywork and frame conversion to create a worthless bastard that's neither Franklin or REO.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Povertycove said:

The question is partly theoretical, though there is a nice 33 REO for sale on the HCCA website. But when I was putting together my 33 coupe last year, I wondered what the sum differences were. As I understand it, all Franklin did was change engine, grille, hood, lights and the “F” on the dashboard. Is that all?

The headlights get moved further up and forward. The front apron under the hood front gets cut. An Olympic specific bell housing will be needed, and well as an Olympic instrument panel. I had thought about doing this with a REO truck if I could find one, but it would have to be a very rough truck to justify bastardizing it. The REO truck enthusiasts would kill me.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/11/2020 at 11:21 PM, HH-Franklin-Library said:

There is an almost "false fire-wall" panel floating under the hood that holds the Startix and other electrical fiddly bits. I wish that I had a picture or drawing but when I saw one, it struck me as a kludge to get things to work under duress.  

I have owned four Olympics, and never seen this "false fire-wall." The Startix is attached to the rear of the air box, just as it is on my 1932 Airman.

Gordon,

Its interesting that the entire re-engineering was done for only $5,000. Inexpensive, even in 1932. Do you have a source for finding out how this was accomplished? At some point the ACN is going to do a comprehensive history of the Olympic, (I believe the Club has some experts working on the project) and this would be an important aspect to the a Olympic story.

On 4/16/2020 at 4:17 PM, Povertycove said:

Gordon,

Its interesting that the entire re-engineering was done for only $5,000. Inexpensive, even in 1932. Do you have a source for finding out how this was accomplished? At some point the ACN is going to do a comprehensive history of the Olympic, (I believe the Club has some experts working on the project) and this would be an important aspect to the a Olympic story.

Check ACN #21

• Like 1