Tell us about the one that got away........

As for the car that we had that got away...there are two. 

The one I knew was my mom's Chevelle. She had this until 1990, and then my dad sold it out from under her...he didn't want to fix the floors, which had begun to rust through. This is the first vehicle I remember being in. Photo taken in 1989.  It's the best photo that exists of it, and it's blurry because I cropped 5 year old me out of it. There's only two known photos of it, both where it got caught in the background of a picture of me. The other is from the front hubcap forward only. 

2vDUaitdx2zUmm.jpg

She never forgave my dad for what he did and still talks about this car to this day. It was a 4-door with blue vinyl interior, I distinctly remember being in the back seat and watching the road pass by through the hole in the floor.  

The other was my dad's 55 Chevrolet. He drag raced this at Dover dragstrip in the 1960s, this photo is from 1967...I still have the trophy he's holding, although in 4 pieces now. He had this stored as his parents house and they sued him to get it out of there. Terrible. I never met them or the car, them it was their choice. The car was gone before I was born, so I never had the chance to even see it. Didn't even think a photo existed until we found this one in my dad's stuff after the cancer got him. 

2vL3JMiox2zUmm.jpg

Unfortunately both cars have gotten super expensive so that prevented any chance of ever replacing them, even in 4-door form. I have always wanted to be able to get my mom a new Chevelle. 

Lots of Mustang stories, here's mine.  Couple years ago, I found a new craigslist add for a 66 GT 'K' code 4 speed convertible for 15k.  Should have left work with cash, but I waited till after work.  I was the second guy there.  It was a really nice driver with a little bondo in the left rear quarter. Ugh.

Back in 1965 I bought this '56 Corvette for $1200 and set off for college that fall. Met, dated, and eventually (later) married my wife while owning this car. Unfortunately in late '66 I t-boned a station wagon at 35 mph and never had a chance to touch the brakes. I was told that parts were not available and I was slated to join the Navy in a few months anyway, so my Dad sold it to a local repair shop after I shipped off.

Always thought that the repair shop was crooked, but at that young age, what did I know. Regardless, I tried to find out who bought it from the repair shop while in the Navy and never could get a solid lead. The great memories and the performance of the '63, 327 375 hp 3-speed engine is something I will always regret losing. 

It had a hardtop, but this is the only surviving photo.

Scan 132530015.jpg

image.thumb.png.b73a503d664d5bb7bc29804231f3fb10.png     Back in May, 1967 I was involved with a small, new nationwide car club.....in fact I was the co-founder with David Phillips.  It was called The Contemporary Historical Vehicle Assoc. and covered cars 1928-1948.  At the time half of those cars had no collector club to be part of since AACA had a cut-off at 1935, except for some recognized Classic cars.  Dave and I had decided to have our first-ever "National Meet" in Baltimore that month.  It turned out to be very successful and we had cars from several distant states attend, but first I need to regress.

There was a relatively new member, #123, who wrote and said he was coming.  Now, I really didn't expect that to happen. After all, he lived in southern California.  About three days before the Meet, I was out in front of my house cutting the grass when suddenly the longest Buick I had ever seen rolled to a stop in front of the house.  It looked to me like it stretched from one side of my 75-foot lot to the other (which of course it didn't really).  Out of the car stepped Olin Alfred Newman, who would, for awhile, become famous in our circles as "Al Newman".   Al turned out to be a lanky, gregarious guy with a big smile.  The car?  Oh, it was a 1941 Buick Series 91 Limited....all black....and, it had made the trip in three days!  As Al would say, "not too shabby, huh?"

I was 27  or 28  years old at the time and it never even occurred to me that the car was only 26 years old.  I'd never ever seen a car like it before and it really seemed old to me for such a trip.  Since Al was such an affable guy we immediately became friends.  He ate with us, and spent three nights at our house.  His car was the star of the show of course.  After the Show, we had a big party and club meeting at my house, in the basement rec room.  And then, on Sunday morning, he was gone.  He drove back to Los Angeles again in three days, stopping to pick up his daughter at his mother's house in Pittsburgh.  Al became the main man out west alright!  He was a guy who burned the candle at both ends and a hard driver in more ways than one.  He wasn't home long before he'd gotten together the SOCAL Region of CHVA.   He drove that old Limited up and down the West Coast, attending many events and selling the idea of CHVA.  He also helped start a second CHVA Region outside of San Francisco.

Over the years he had some ups and downs, a 5-way bypass, and much more, but we had another big Meet in Baltimore in 1971, after the club had really started to grow.  By this time he had re-married a lady with, I think, four kids.  Al wrote me and said he was coming, kids and all.  Sure enough he arrived in that big old Limited on Friday before the show and we put them all up at our house.  The 1941 Limited was again the star of the show.  In 1973 my wife and I took our new car out to California on a five week vacation trip which eventually ended up at Al's house for the SOCAL Show.  The SOCAL show was held at The Cars of the Stars Museum.  Al had left the food company where he had worked for years and gone to work with Cars of the Stars who rented cars to the movie industry.

I only saw Al one more time after that.  Howard Scotland, a friend of mine from Baltimore, and I flew out to an AACA Meet.  SOCAL had their Meet and dinner the next day.  Howard and I stopped by Al's new house in Fullerton.  By then Al had a low mileage 1940 Buick Series 80 that he used sometimes in the TV series "Wonder Woman".  The old '41 Limited and a beat up '42 Limited shared the storage area.  I asked Al about the cross country 41 Limited and he said it was temporarily broken down.  Then, about ten years later word came to me that Al had died in an accident while unloading cars in Hawaii for some movie.  I never saw the '41 Limited again.  By that time I had satisfied my thirst for it by buying my own '41 Limited and having it restored to AACA Senior status.  I never knew what had happened to the old cross country travel car.

Well, many years later an ad turned up in Hemmings for a car I was sure was that car.....the rear window venistion blinds gave it away.  I called the guy and sure enough he said it was Al's car.  His Grandfather, who was a friend of Al's at Cars of the Stars, had bought the car from Al's daughter and taken it to Oklahoma when he retired.  Upon his death the family had passed it to his Grandson in California.  As it turned out the Grandson had put it up as collateral for a business loan.  The loan company had the title and he had the car.  I tried everything to get that car, but just couldn't figure out how to get the car together with the title, gave up, and it disappeared again.

In 2018, during the Sentimental Tour in Mississippi, the car turned up on eBay, in Kansas City.  The loan company had put it up for auction, and this guy, a small car dealer in Kansas City and made the only bid on it.  I talked to him for almost two months, but I couldn't go out there, and he wouldn't let anybody I knew in Kansas City look at it for me.  His price was out of sight at first, but I eventually got him down to within $50 or $100 of what I was willing to pay, but I had to see that title and wanted one in his name, not the loan company or whoever.  He wouldn't get one.  Then, the car suddenly disappeared again.

Yesterday, I got an email on this website from a man in Texas asking if I was the man who had history on the car.  He said he didn't really want to sell it.  Amazed, I wrote him back and now we've become pen pals almost.  He finally admitted he would sell it for the right price.  It's back up to that first Kansas City price, but that's not the worst of it.  Since the deal in California I bought a nice original 1941 Buick Roadmaster, helped convince the CCCA the series 70 was also a Full Classic car and spent myself blind restoring it to what I kind of hope will someday be AACA prize-winning condition car.  I've turned 81 and also undergone open heart surgery last summer, a pacemaker last December, and now the collapse of the stock market.  All those guys from the 1960s and 1970s have gotten older too, and many have gone on.  Few would ever remember the feats of Al Newman now.  That kind of takes away from the story, but for me, if things were different I'd buy it and just look at the old bird resting in my garage calling out so many good memories.  End of story, my friends, I guess that old, black, 1941 Buick Limited limo qualifies as the one that got away for me.  I've had lots of fun and memories in this hobby and I guess, as Al would say, "that's not too shabby."

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

That's a great story, Dynaflash.

Mine?, Well in '68 I caught the ferry to Tasmania for the first time, driving my Bugeye Sprite. Kind of like going to Newfoundland, only further. I went down for the apple picking. While there, I attended the motor races at Symmond's Plains and Baskerville. At the latter meet there was a Lotus 7 competing, and it was offered for sale after the meeting for $475. Complete, on a trailer, with all spares, lights etc to road register it. And that was my dream car, at the time. I had the readies, but eventually the logistics of being an itinerant worker in an island State, and a long way from my parents place on the mainland got the better of me. In hindsight I should have somehow fitted a tow-bar to the Sprite, I guess. For reference, the eight year old Sprite was worth about $700 at the time.

Didn't happen to me but a guy here restored a 1914 Overland in the 60's then sold it shortly thereafter. Guy who bought it never drove it, simply parked in his garage. Then 40 odd years later the guy who restored it gets a call from the now deceased owners wife "Come and take it way". Which he did. He lightly re-restored it, got it running and now enjoys it the second time round.

14 Overland.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I definately have had a few get away.  The one that may fit hete best was my friend Ray's 1930 Lincoln Model L coupe.  It actually looked more like a victoria, a nice look.  In some ways this Full Classic looked like an overgrown Model A, fairly simple interior, not a lot of flash.  Especially compared to it's 30 Caddy stablemate.  Aluminum body, V8.  Nice interior, a complete runner.  Well Ray wanted to thin out a bit.  

Occasional forum poster Daytona ended up with the Caddy.  I hemmed and hawed too long.  Another forum member, Steve Pughes out west bought "my Lincoln"...  

I understand they are not big money cars like the K series but I really did like it, and Ray would have made it easy financially.  You can't buy them all.. 

• Like 1

In 1971, when I was 17, I was visiting my uncle in Norfolk, VA. He had a couple used car lots where he sold and bought cars from the Navy boys. When he heard that I was getting a motorcycle for $600. He took me around back and showed me a 1960 Red & White Corvette. Said if I promised to not get a bike, he’d sell me the Vette for the $600. I told him that I could promise not to get one this year, maybe for 5 years but I couldn’t promise I’d Never get one. He said that was the deal, so I walk away. I’ve stared at them ever since!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, yachtflame said:

4 hours ago, yachtflame said:

In 1971, when I was 17, I was visiting my uncle in Norfolk, VA. He had a couple used car lots where he sold and bought cars from the Navy boys. When he heard that I was getting a motorcycle for $600. He took me around back and showed me a 1960 Red & White Corvette. Said if I promised to not get a bike, he’d sell me the Vette for the $600. I told him that I could promise not to get one this year, maybe for 5 years but I couldn’t promise I’d Never get one. He said that was the deal, so I walk away. I’ve stared at them ever since!

With you on that one ,  58 /62 corvette top of my dream list 

pilgrim

Edited by Pilgrim65 (see edit history)

In the early 90s I went with my dad to a couple old dilapidated alley garages in East Vancouver.  The guy that rented them had a dark green 66 Mustang fastback that had a ragtop sunroof and factory am/fm radio.  I can’t remember how much he wanted for it but we ended up buying a basic 70s 302 from him just to get the original Buddy Bar Cobra intake that came off a 65 Gt350 he had parted out years earlier.  He gave us the original resonators and under rider traction bars from it but they were in poor shape and we threw them away years later. 

The other garage held an original AC Ace, aluminum body car that had a Chevy drivetrain.  It had apparently been raced at Westwood racetrack in the 70s.  My dad and I were into Fords and he was really prejudiced against Chevys and couldn’t bring himself to pull the trigger on the deal.  I’m sure if it had a Ford engine he might have bought it.  I do remember he wanted 20K for it which wasn’t cheap money in the early 90s, but I’m sure it would have been a great investment based on the values the Cobras and AC cars are now.

Definitely a few missed opportunities.

Edited by Modeleh (see edit history)

On 3/18/2020 at 4:51 PM, Billy Kingsley said:

...I distinctly remember being in the back seat and watching the road pass by through the hole in the floor...

That brought back a memory.  Dad had a 49 Dodge with rust holes in the floor - I also remember watching the road through a hole.  :D

• Like 2

On 3/19/2020 at 5:53 PM, CHuDWah said:

That brought back a memory.  Dad had a 49 Dodge with rust holes in the floor - I also remember watching the road through a hole.  :D

Our family car in the mid 1940's was a 1935 Chevrolet standard sedan that my dad picked up when the owner couldn't pay a repair bill. I remember riding in the back seat with my mother holding an umbrella over us because the fabric roof leaked. I also remember the clatter riding on the rim when he couldn't afford a new tire.

Don 

It was around 1957 and I was about 14 years old (and an avid barn find hunter) when I heard about a Hupmobile on Signal Mountain, about 20 miles from my home in Chattanooga. I had never seen a Hupmobile and I pestered my father until he agreed to take me to see it. We pulled up at a small “cottage” and were met at the door by a very gracious lady who took us through the house to an attached single car garage.

In the garage, under a homemade cover sewn from chenille bedspreads was a gorgeous 1927 Hupmobile 4-door sedan. It was Maroon with black fenders, yellow wood-spoke wheels and whitewall tires. The seats looked as if they had never been sat in. The car was on jack stands and the garage was tightly insulated; every crack was blocked with cardboard to keep out any dust and weather.

The car was about the only thing left that had belonged to her husband who died in 1927. The lady had built the garage with her own hands to protect the beloved Hupmobile. She had a mechanic come in monthly to start the car, service it and run it through the gears on the jack stands to keep everything in good operating order. But she decided it was time to turn the car over to a new caretaker. She had been offered $800 for it by a wealthy local collector, but she didn't like him and didn't sell. She liked me and offered it to me for $400. Unfortunately, I didn't have any money at all. I'm almost sure my parents had never had $400 at one time and they had certainly never paid that much for a car, even a family car. She said if I wanted the car to pray about it and maybe something would work out.

I was shocked a year or so later to receive a telephone call from the lady. I didn't realize she even knew my name, but she had made a note of it. She asked if I still wanted the car. “Yes, of course.” Did I have the $400? “No.” She invited me to come and talk to her and maybe we could work something out.

Well, I'm sure my father was embarrassed that there was no way he could afford the car; he really didn't want to take me back up there. So after a couple of weeks I managed to get away. I took the bus to the end of the line at the foot of the mountain, then hitch-hiked and walked the rest of the way to the house. As I arrived three well-dressed ladies were leaving. They were just returning from the lady's funeral. I can only speculate what the outcome would have been if I had been a week or so earlier. I repeated the bus/hitch-hike/walk journey again a few weeks later and the neighbors said the old Hupp had been carried off on a dump truck. I tried to contact her heir, a niece in Moulton, Alabama but never received a response. I hope even today that the grand old Hupmobile found a loving home in Alabama.

• Like 5

On 3/16/2020 at 5:56 PM, Jeff Perkins / Mn said:

Many of us have been around a while and have often though of the car that got away. Maybe it was one that you wanted to buy but did not “pull the trigger” or perhaps it was one you sold and have had “seller’s remorse”. Well, I have experienced both. Here, with pictures, are both:

The one that I regret selling is my 1929 Model A Cabriolet, a compact and sporty car that everyone loved and it drove sooooo nice....

B4541C0A-1FC4-483F-BD83-DE214158E2D2.jpeg

The one I didn’t buy was this 1926 Packard 2-36 Phaeton with RHD offered by Tom L. in Rhode Island back in 2013. It is featured in the December 2012 issue of Hemmings Classic Car. A very interesting story.

D08EF518-1F25-49C5-B0E7-B2FC94121A43.jpeg

The Red Packard belonged to Tom Vagnini. It is a beautiful example and Tom was very fussy and took care of it like a baby. Whoever has it today would not be sorry for buying it as it ran, drove, and looked stunning. Three out of three. It does not get much better than that. Dandy Dave!   

The one I regret most was a 1910 REO just a couple of years ago. I talked with the fellow was going to fly out but first tried to get shipping with no luck as the carriers would not take the spare engine. This was Jan. and the independents will not go through the mountains that time of year. A friend volunteered to drive to Oregon with me. But when I got back to him to say I was coming it was sold. Now I buy and worry about transportation later. 

reo.jpg

reo 2.jpg

reo 1.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Jeff Perkins / Mn said:

Yes Dave, that is the one that got away from me and I had my chance. 

I have known Tom for all of 40 + Years. Really a down to earth fellow. He worked as a Machinist for GE in Pittsfield, Massachusetts for years. We have had our share of discussions about old cars and  machine shop practice and equipment. Machining is where the attitude of it has to be right comes from. Nothing half way or wrong. He also had a Packard Limo years ago that had a Holbrook body on it. That one had quite a story too as I remember. Those bodies were built right here in Hudson, NY. The old factory building was operated as V&O Press for years but was torn down 4 or 5 years ago. Old Ford may have a photo of his Dad in the Limo as his Dad worked for Holbrook when they were a thriving company. His Dad was in his 90's when the photo was taken. Sorry that one got away from you. If you knew me at the time I would have talked you in to buying it. Tom was an excellent caretaker for that car for all the years he owned it. I'm sure it was not easy for him or his family to let it go.     

In my vintage bus project, I have one story of one that got away, and a larger problem of how the entire bus restoring world has a larger problem: the junkyards that once held plenty of bus parts are almost completely gone.

When I first looked for a personal project vehicle, (and gave up on the pipe dream of a trolley car,) I had to save up first.  While the project fund was still tiny, this 1930s Ford came up for sale for only a few thousand.  I wanted it, but couldn’t afford it.  I was lucky that a few years later, the Brill bus I ended up buying was not only more historically interesting, but priced lower (and in better condition!).  But I sure wouldn’t mind having a nice little pre-WWII transit bus like this one.

IMG_1617.PNG

But finding parts is proving to be a heck of a challenge.  Even in the 1990s, a couple junkyards in my state had plenty of parts buses of all sorts, but within a decade or so, they were all gone.  I’m sure some automobile parts are total unobtainium also, but spare a thought for the handful of folks who think an antique bus deserves to have its complete original interior.  It’s proving to be a heck of a quest so far!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Brill_C-37M_Bus said:

In my vintage bus project, I have one story of one that got away, and a larger problem of how the entire bus restoring world has a larger problem: the junkyards that once held plenty of bus parts are almost completely gone.

When I first looked for a personal project vehicle, (and gave up on the pipe dream of a trolley car,) I had to save up first.  While the project fund was still tiny, this 1930s Ford came up for sale for only a few thousand.  I wanted it, but couldn’t afford it.  I was lucky that a few years later, the Brill bus I ended up buying was not only more historically interesting, but priced lower (and in better condition!).  But I sure wouldn’t mind having a nice little pre-WWII transit bus like this one.

But finding parts is proving to be a heck of a challenge.  Even in the 1990s, a couple junkyards in my state had plenty of parts buses of all sorts, but within a decade or so, they were all gone.  I’m sure some automobile parts are total unobtainium also, but spare a thought for the handful of folks who think an antique bus deserves to have its complete original interior.  It’s proving to be a heck of a quest so far!

Even though I'm not fluent in French, I still bought this book for the excellent photographs and line drawings within.  https://www.boutiquestm.com/en/livre-100-ans-de-bus-a-montreal.html

It appears Montreal had a rather extensive fleet of prewar and postwar Brill city transit buses.

Craig

• Thanks 1

I think most wrecking yards used the busses they collected for storage.

Maybe not so much anymore but I recall one yard that had a bus full of drivelines, a bus full of wheels, a bus full of heads, a bus full of hub caps, a bus full of seats and so on.

I guess the first thing gutted would be the interiors.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Another one that got away was a 1967 Shelby Mustang GT350. It was well used and had some fiberglass damage but overall not bad, for $1200. I was the first one to show up, agreed to buy and offered a cash deposit to hold while I got the rest. The seller said no deposit needed, no problem, he would hold it until I got back. Of course you know the rest of that story. Hard lesson, to this day I don't go to look at a car without all the cash in my pocket.

15 minutes ago, TexRiv_63 said:

Another one that got away was a 1967 Shelby Mustang GT350. It was well used and had some fiberglass damage but overall not bad, for $1200. I was the first one to show up, agreed to buy and offered a cash deposit to hold while I got the rest. The seller said no deposit needed, no problem, he would hold it until I got back. Of course you know the rest of that story. Hard lesson, to this day I don't go to look at a car without all the cash in my pocket.

I had a similar story. While in college in the mid to late 70s, I had a chance to buy a 1969 Shelby GT350 convertible. It was a typical used car. Seller wanted 1200.00 and I offered 800.00. Neither of us would budge. I walked away from it. I still regret it today. One of my dumbest car moves exercise. 

Kevin

• Like 1

it's a toss up. in 1963 had a chance to buy a neigbor's everyday driver, a 1928 model A tudor for $125. dad shot that one down. he was a hard core chevy guy, hated snything ford. six years later bought a 1957 cadillac series 75 limo from a funeral home for $75. loved that carfor the year i drove it till the tranny went out.

So many possibilities for this one but one of the most memorable (or unforgettable) was the 1916 Indian twin cylinder Motorcycle that could have been in my garage for free. 

While we were in Scotland, one of the biggest events in the old car world that was the Scottish Transport Extravaganza that I had helped the local club create back in the 70s. Vehicles were exhibited in roped off areas and separated into categories by age, type, etc.  The motorcycle area was simply amazing with machines from 1903 into the 50s.  I took a turn as a volunteer looking after the motorcycles to keep people outside the ropes and talk to spectators about some of the vehicles on display.  Most were surprised to learn there was an American there, but they quickly realized that I was a member of the club and knew something about the vehicles on display.  Many of them were owned by fellow club members.

At some point, an elderly gentleman approached me and asked if there were any Indian Motorcycles on display.  Unfortunately not, but he then asked since I was an American, what did I think about Indians?  We talked a while and eventually he asked if I'd like to have an Indian someday.  My response, which I wish to this day I had expressed differently, was "well, someday perhaps, but my first choice would probably be something pre WWI and British."  He simply said "ok" and moved on, looking at the other vehicles on display.  After an hour, my relief showed up so I went on to my next volunteer assignment. 

Later that afternoon, with some free time available, I went back over to the motorcycles to take some photos.  The club member who was now in charge of the display area said "you're not going to believe what happened a few minutes ago."  "An older gent came up and asked me if I liked Indian Motorycles, and I told him I thought they were great and hoped someday to have one."  That was the same guy who had cornered me earlier, and he immediately gave my friend the 1916 Indian Twin that was in the trunk of his car, all disassembled and packed into boxes.  Oh, I wish I'd have known where that original Q&A session was headed!!!

Terry

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 3/16/2020 at 3:07 PM, keiser31 said:

So many that I regret letting go of. My all original 1929 Franklin 135 six sport sedan (no photo), my 1930 DeSoto eight cylinder sedan, my 1936 Dodge Brothers touring sedan with side mounts, my 1957 Dodge 1/2 ton pickup (no photo), my 1968 Plymouth Road Runner, my 1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer two door hardtop, and most recently, my 1967 Dodge A100 compact pickup. Sigh....

Picture 1000.jpg

File0554.jpg.915323d9c9c847534ddf80fb8a08c0a8.jpg

Picture 26352.jpg

Picture 26042.jpg

1013146_10201455849857123_321968527_n.jpg

John, I remember your 55 Dodge.  Did you sell it to Tony?  Marc.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, marcapra said:

John, I remember your 55 Dodge.  Did you sell it to Tony?  Marc.

I traded it to a guy for a 1973 Plymouth Duster. I needed a dependable car and the Lancer needed a valve job. I was so poor I could not afford it.

Seller's remorse:  When in 1969 I sold this 1957 Porsche Speedster 1600 N for $1400.  Purchaed 4 years earlier fir $700 in Germany and

driven all over europe befor sending it home to be driven all over the Smoky Mountains.   The sale financesd my year in Heidelberg Germany

for my junior year of college.   Today it would be a very special car, but I wouldn't trade for my year at Heidelberg.327176086_57Speedster.thumb.jpg.c1959e47bff08a4e0eb2ca6b95a0f48d.jpg

Back in the late 60s to late 80s my dad owned a gulf station. It was a young fellers dream being around all those cars. Anyway there was a guy that owned a used car lot in town that hung around the station all the time. One day he came in with a 70 Ford Torino with the cobra jet engine and it too had a 4 speed and a shaker hood. I was in love. But, my dad wouldn't let me buy it even though I had saved enough money. This car has followed me my whole life in my head. Not sure I would still own it today but, nice ones are going for close to 80k now. Later I had a 66 Chevelle SS it had a true L88-427 engine that we had built to around 600 hp. A 4 speed car with a 456 gear underneath. I had access to all the gas that big boy could consume. (LOL). I let this one get away and have beat myself up everyday since. I guess we all thought those cars would be available forever.

This is about 16 hours away from becoming my "one that got away." I suspect the bidding will get a little nutty towards the end and it's already right at the edge of what I can reasonably permit myself to spend on [another] toy.

1969_cadillac_deville_hardtop_wagon_159251140707166ec4faIMG_4514.jpg?w=1995

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1969-cadillac-deville-hardtop-wagon/

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

This is about 16 hours away from becoming my "one that got away." I suspect the bidding will get a little nutty towards the end and it's already right at the edge of what I can reasonably permit myself to spend on [another] toy.

1969_cadillac_deville_hardtop_wagon_159251140707166ec4faIMG_4514.jpg?w=1995

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1969-cadillac-deville-hardtop-wagon/

with cracking paint , overspray on the chrome trim and a piece of the floor cut out and a piece of metal laid over the top of it you’d be wise to let this one get away . 

• Like 1

At Hershey many years ago. I walked past a table with a real First Issue Hot Rod Magazine. I stopped and looked at it. $750 was the price. The seller said "I can do $700". I walked two more rows and decided I should go back and buy it. I walked back and it was gone.

9 hours ago, Brass is Best said:

At Hershey many years ago. I walked past a table with a real First Issue Hot Rod Magazine. I stopped and looked at it. $750 was the price. The seller said "I can do $700". I walked two more rows and decided I should go back and buy it. I walked back and it was gone.

Back in 2006 I found the first 6 issues of Hot Rod for TWENTY FIVE CENTS apiece at a local garage sale! Those did not get away from me!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jeff Perkins / Mn said:

Back in 2006 I found the first 6 issues of Hot Rod for TWENTY FIVE CENTS apiece at a local garage sale! Those did not get away from me!

My similar find was the August, 1967 issue of Playboy magazine which had a short article and excellent color photos of "Ultimate Grand Touring Cars", including Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, Toyota 2000GT, Jensen, Bizzarrini, etc., written by Ken Purdy.  I actually had the pictures of the cars which I cut out of an issue that my uncle gave me when he was finished reading it.  Later, I regretted cutting it up.  I was fortunate enough to find one at a garage sale for 25 cents some 20 years later.

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)