Interior progress this weekend

71GS

2 minutes ago, telriv said:

My '64 Riv. had a production date of 12D & came with NO seat belt covers. ONLY the retracters & they had Oldsmobile logo on the Buckle.

I've owned this Riv. since new.

Tom T.

But not anymore! Lol...

Tom M

Ya, I'm learning. Those retractors with the covers didn't start until '65 models. But I now know I want those for my '63. The chances of finding any with red webbing are slim. Painting the covers wouldn't be a problem, OPGI even has new black covers.

Tom's originally owned Riv is sold?

9 hours ago, XframeFX said:

Ya, I'm learning. Those retractors with the covers didn't start until '65 models. But I now know I want those for my '63. The chances of finding any with red webbing are slim. Painting the covers wouldn't be a problem, OPGI even has new black covers.

John,

My comment was because Tom obtained a "proper" set of `64 belts from me.

Also, no red interior in `65 so your chances of finding red webbing is "less than slim".

Tom Mooney

On 5/22/2020 at 9:20 AM, telriv said:

My '64 Riv. had a production date of 12D & came with NO seat belt covers. ONLY the retracters & they had Oldsmobile logo on the Buckle.

I've owned this Riv. since new.

Tom T.

Tom, that jogged my memory, my 64 belts didn’t have the covers. I knew something was different about them. Olds logos! That’s interesting 😁

10 hours ago, XframeFX said:

Lol pretty sure Tom T’s 64 isn’t going anywhere 😎

John you might source some used 65’s in any color and see if these guys could change them to red for ya. 

https://www.ssnake-oyl.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=Ssnake-Oyl&Category_Code=RS

Sunny and 80 here today. Let’s go for a ride. 

Yeah, who knows Brian???  Although there was an Olds dealership just down the road.  Buick may have been out of stock at the time & since it was the holidays, Thanksgiving, Christmas & New Years time line, mechanically they worked & operated in the same manner MAYBE??? the Buick dealer just decided to install what was, at the time, readily available????

Tom T.

53 minutes ago, RockinRiviDad said:

does your headlight switch dim the LED lights in your instrument & speedo?

You can dim them. Ordered them off amazon in a pack of 10 for $10.  I cheated thought I had small hands to get to the hard to reach ones.

9A4B1598-F4B5-43B3-AD33-830A1AB0F6AC.jpeg

86B692D3-3F60-469A-BE94-245B95B3704B.jpeg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 5/27/2020 at 4:30 PM, DDDDDan said:

Just did my instrument and speedo.  It’s a start but it looks killer. 

6B1949FC-D465-4CC8-811C-401636963A02.jpeg

Can you share the details for the bulbs?  Was it plug and play and by the looks of it the little one found the access door and just reached up and replaced them!

thanks,

Robert

40 minutes ago, MY64RIVIERA said:

Can you share the details for the bulbs?  Was it plug and play and by the looks of it the little one found the access door and just reached up and replaced them!

thanks,

Robert

Robert, see the bottom of page one of this thread. There is a bulb list there. Also, they can be replaced from the front by removing the bezels. Set screw on the bottom of the bezel. This is also good for polishing up the lenses. 😁

Brian

According to Brian's List, he installed 5 LED 194s and 5 LED BA9s from Superbright LEDs, a GOOD source.

I installed 4 LED 194s from Kwikwire and 4 LED BA9s from Superbright as it actually says 'dimmable. However neither dim with the headlight switch. It might dim slightly then, off!

Testing on a power supply, both types of LEDs (194s & BA9s), dim between 4.5 to 7.5 volts. Above 8 V, they are full-on. The rheostat/pot on my headlight switch simply cannot achieve that range with the light load of LEDs. Maybe mix-it-up with some incandescents?

Easy to replace with the dashpad off.

Mine still looks killer as well. Be sure to order 'cool white' for all instrument panel illumination.

And oh, My 194 LEDs flash with the horn!

John B.

I bought my “dimmable” LED’s from Superbright also. I didn’t install them right away. By the time I got around to installing them & found out my LED’s didn’t dim either it was too late to return them. I thought I bought the wrong ones. Now your “shining new light” on the subject :). So it might be my headlight switch. I’ll will try that. 

Edited by RockinRiviDad (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Back to Seats - 1963 Bucket Seats.

I just picked-up my seats from the know-it-all upholsterer today. I was short a black fiber washer at the seat pivot before. Now I have an extra washer. I mentioned to the upholsterer that maybe there's 2 washers at each pivot, 1 under the seat bottom vinyl and another ABOVE the seat bottom vinyl. This is what I suspect but he said NO!

Where to find another washer if I have to open some hog rings to put the washers back? It has a 1/2" hole.

Anyone?

Thanks,

John B.

DSC03531.JPG

7 hours ago, XframeFX said:

Back to Seats - 1963 Bucket Seats.

I just picked-up my seats from the know-it-all upholsterer today. I was short a black fiber washer at the seat pivot before. Now I have an extra washer. I mentioned to the upholsterer that maybe there's 2 washers at each pivot, 1 under the seat bottom vinyl and another ABOVE the seat bottom vinyl. This is what I suspect but he said NO!

Where to find another washer if I have to open some hog rings to put the washers back? It has a 1/2" hole.

Anyone?

Thanks,

John B.

DSC03531.JPG

John,

Here is a thread that might shed some light on the washer issue. I went through this with my front seats. To sum it up: there are 4 plastic washers, one at each pivot, each with a retainer, the inboard retainers are C-clips, the outboard retainers are the chrome caps. The plastic retainers cheaply purchased at a local do it yourself building center. They came in a pack of 20. I am sure I have some left I could send you.

Bill

Edited by Riviera63 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks Bill, I never thought to check the Buick Body Manual or search this Forum for your post on this very thing. I referred to the Manual for seat back separation instructions, nothing new, just common sense.

However, being 1 washer short before taking my seats to the shop and now having 1 extra, I'm convinced those rigid black fiber washers belong UNDER THE VINYL with another OVER THE VINYL. Can anyone check by feeling if the vinyl collapses around the outboard pivot shaft or if a washer can be felt through the vinyl?

Thanks,

John B.

1) In assembling my Door Panels (custom Interior), I now have 2nd thoughts on re-installing the padded armrests as is. I'm thinking of having them re-covered. I'd like to go local this time since it appears I have a competent shop in my locale.

What kind of RED VINYL should I ask for? I've read 'Madrid Vinyl' for '65s. The same for 1963?

2) While on my door panel, notice that I have yet to install the steel panel with Veneer. On the other door panel, some steel tabs didn't like being bent 1 more time and broke off. I know, I straightened them just enough to remove the panels to minimize bending but some snapped off anyway. Before applying new veneer, I tried to restore ductility to the tabs with a torch. Now oxidized halos around each tab. See if that works. Anyone had the same issue when re-installing Door Veneer?

John B.

63_Red_Armrest.JPG

Veneer_SteelPanel_Heated.JPG

2 hours ago, XframeFX said:

1) In assembling my Door Panels (custom Interior), I now have 2nd thoughts on re-installing the padded armrests as is. I'm thinking of having them re-covered. I'd like to go local this time since it appears I have a competent shop in my locale.

What kind of RED VINYL should I ask for? I've read 'Madrid Vinyl' for '65s. The same for 1963?

2) While on my door panel, notice that I have yet to install the steel panel with Veneer. On the other door panel, some steel tabs didn't like being bent 1 more time and broke off. I know, I straightened them just enough to remove the panels to minimize bending but some snapped off anyway. Before applying new veneer, I tried to restore ductility to the tabs with a torch. Now oxidized halos around each tab. See if that works. Anyone had the same issue when re-installing Door Veneer?

John B.

63_Red_Armrest.JPG

Veneer_SteelPanel_Heated.JPG

Hi John, I got lucky and only one tab broke on mine. I don’t think you’d have a problem unless you had 2 next to each other. Might cause a gap?

Im pretty sure the grain changed between 63 & 65. Someone hopefully will chime in. You might check clarks website, it may say on there what was correct for 63. 

Brian

This is my 2nd pair of door veneer panels and I now realize I installed them in 2015 from another that received a botched upholstery job in the 80s. So, those tabs have been bent plenty of times.

The only thing on Clarks' are rear seat Armrests and that folding center rear armrest. I might call them.

Of my 2 red door armrests, they are symmetrical by design but they are different. One has a sewn-in pocket which is evident just above the stamped steel hand-pull cup along with a seam. The other with the  steel hand-pull removed shows a 1 piece heat formed cover. Peculiar, both are from the same car.

Thanks,

John B.

63_Red_Armrest_3.JPG

63_Red_Armrest_2.JPG

John, looks to me like those were recovered at some point. That seam shouldn’t be there on the one. I’d call Clark’s and ask what the 63 grain was. I think it might be Seville? 65 is Madrid. 
I had my Upholstry guy do mine and it was worth it. 

4BB9D852-457F-4180-802F-CB6AAD28B51D.jpeg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/1/2020 at 10:21 PM, XframeFX said:

…actually says 'dimmable. However neither dim with the headlight switch. It might dim slightly then, off!

Testing on a power supply, both types of LEDs (194s & BA9s), dim between 4.5 to 7.5 volts. Above 8 V, they are full-on. The rheostat/pot on my headlight switch simply cannot achieve that range with the light load of LEDs. Maybe mix-it-up with some incandescents?

Easy to replace with the dashpad off.

Mine still looks killer as well. Be sure to order 'cool white' for all instrument panel illumination.

And oh, My 194 LEDs flash with the horn!

John B.

On 7/1/2020 at 11:53 PM, RockinRiviDad said:

I bought my “dimmable” LED’s from Superbright also. I didn’t install them right away. By the time I got around to installing them & found out my LED’s didn’t dim either it was too late to return them. I thought I bought the wrong ones. Now your “shining new light” on the subject :). So it might be my headlight switch. I’ll will try that. 

I bought the correct ACDelco headlight switch new from Rockauto for $20. Popped off my dash top, replaced headlight switch & wha-lah…my instrument panel LED lights finally dim

:picture me doing a happy dance:

D59AAB18-18B4-4AE7-BF92-371C224B6662.thumb.jpeg.68da743768650aa211d258d0a4931214.jpeg

Edited by RockinRiviDad (see edit history)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RockinRiviDad said:

bought the correct ACDelco headlight switch new from Rockauto for $20. Popped off my dash top, replaced headlight switch & wha-lah…my instrument panel LED lights finally dim

Thats awesome David 👍

• Thanks 1

On 8/19/2020 at 7:05 PM, RockinRiviDad said:

I bought the correct ACDelco headlight switch new from Rockauto for $20. Popped off my dash top, replaced headlight switch & wha-lah…my instrument panel LED lights finally dim

:picture me doing a happy dance:

My online searches produced dimmers for buildings.

With this, great, for $20, I'll order one too. However, I bought two 5 watt resistors to modify my spare 1963 switch just yesterday.

To my understanding (I knew all this way back but forgotten), GM had 1963 and older light switches with a certain behaviour. 1964 or was it 1967 where the front park lights come on with the headlights. What are your front park lights doing? They come on with the headlights? Different from before?

Thanks for sharing the tip Dave!

John B.

On 8/20/2020 at 8:49 PM, XframeFX said:

My online searches produced dimmers for buildings.

With this, great, for $20, I'll order one too. However, I bought two 5 watt resistors to modify my spare 1963 switch just yesterday.

To my understanding (I knew all this way back but forgotten), GM had 1963 and older light switches with a certain behaviour. 1964 or was it 1967 where the front park lights come on with the headlights. What are your front park lights doing? They come on with the headlights? Different from before?

Thanks for sharing the tip Dave!

John B.

sorry so late. I had my car apart & I wasn’t able to connect my battery to confirm your suspicion. 

No, my parking lights do not come on with the headlights. All positions on my new switch work properly. Here is the link to buy a switch. If u want, u can even buy a super cheap one listed in the link for $7. The ACDelco switch is $18+. 

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/buick,1965,riviera,6.6l+401cid+v8,1319329,electrical-switch+&+relay,headlamp+switch,4472