keiser31

Have you ever been contacted about an old car you once owned?

A few years after buying a 62 Corvette in 1977  I got the idea to call the state  of Florida to get a list of the old owners. For a small fee they sent me copies of all the past owners titles going back to the GM MSO. I called information and amazingly got the numbers of all the old owners and was able to talk with them and hear their stories.  Unfortunately, the first owner did not have any of the original paperwork but it was fun talking with them all.

Dave

On 3/16/2020 at 8:02 AM, Jeff Perkins / Mn said:

To this day I still get occasional inquiries about the car I.e. did it sell, where did it go etc.

Honest, I know for a fact there are octogenarians with old advertisements to follow up on. They are waiting for "that young feller to realize he needs to come around to a reasonable price".

And I don't take just one example to make a generalization.

Bernie

4 hours ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

I don't often sell cars. The reason is simple I own cars that I like and don't want to part with them. When I do sell I only sell to a friend with whom I can keep in contact so I can keep track of the car. The one exception was a divorce forced sale of a 1934 Pierce Arrow 840A Club Brougham, one of two known to exist. The name of the person to whom I sold the car, was Dale Bloom who lived in Kansas (either Overland Park or Overbrook).  Dale performed a driver quality restoration, and several years later he called to offer the car to me. Too much money and I declined. After Dale's passing the car was sold. Two years ago I was told that the car was in Colorado, but no other information. I would like to contact the present owner. I thought that this was as good a place as any to ask if anyone knows anything about the car. The car is a two door, was tan and brown, and has a slant back trunk. 

Bill

I believe this must be the other one, but on the market and in the hands of a very good car guy. I say that about most people that also have Maxwells. 

0EA73502-747A-46CB-B6FB-3C9E8929F36D.png

Here is a great story and it involves the AACA.  I did not own the car but  I still think the story fits..

A few years ago I was selling a collection of cars for an elderly gentleman in NY.  He had been a dealer and had garages full of cars.  One of those cars was a 1965 Ford Mustang.  I posted a description of the car on the AACA forum along with the VIN.
On Father's Day of 2016 I received this request via e-mail from a guy named Rick.
Trying to track down a Ford Mustang that my parents purchased new.
     I see images of the car on the web advertised possibly by you in 2016 for sale.
     Hoping you can help with my search.
     I have some original paperwork and provenance as my mother is still alive
 Should the numbers match, this car "Mimi" as my mother refers to her, was sold to Mr Least around 1967 when my father was sent to Vietnam.  Sounds, and looks like he has taken great care if her all these years. 
My dad and I searched when it was time for me to drive, and I have searched over the years in hopes that "Mimi" was still around. 
 In 1986 we purchased a clone to Mimi, which I drove for roughly 10 years. Mom always said my Mustang just wasn't the same.
I later learned that Rick's mom was forced by her father-in-law to sell the car to make ends meet after her husband went to Vietnam.  Every year she would ask Rick to try to find Mimi.  On this particular Father's Day she promised it would be her last try.  Would he just try one more time and as Rick tells it...   

Well thanks to Kelly for posting the vin number, on the morning of Father's Day, the day after Dads birthday, I came across her listing for the car in 2016. I entered the vin into the old Google box and well, here we are.
Here we are indeed.  Rick and his two sons came to NY with a trailer to take Mimi home and surprise his mom.  As Rick notes when people ask:It’s more than the vehicle, it’s always the history that brought the owners together that folks enjoy hearing the most. 
I have to mention too because I love this part of the story.  Rick's dad bought his mom other cars to take her mind off Mimi but she fell for none of them.  She always just wanted her Mimi back and in the end that is what she finally had.  This car will be in this family for decades to come.

IMG_5223.jpg

IMG_5200.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I often wonder what ever became of my old leaky Amphicar.

Some VW guy bought it from me in the 80s when I was hungry.

Supercargirl...

Was Mr. Least the owner of Least Ford in Geneseo, NY?  I used to wander his lot occasionally in the 1970's when I was at college there.

On 3/20/2020 at 7:17 PM, Harold said:

Supercargirl...

Was Mr. Least the owner of Least Ford in Geneseo, NY?  I used to wander his lot occasionally in the 1970's when I was at college there.

Yes he was.  He still has cars stuffed into three garages.  Each year he was in business he bought and kept a car for his collection.