49 engine number,is it the original??

KIWI 49R

Bruce, the eng No is 52535627 although the 6 in the number looks a little funny it could be a letter b not sure really,possibly a different type style. The body No is G896 and there is also a small tag next to the main I.D tag on the R.H. side of the firewall with the No 25034144.Thanks in advance for your help.

Chris: engine numbers do not match VIN numbers in '49. You engine number checks out as a Roadmaster engine in that it is in the given range of numbers, has the right number of digits, and ends with a "7", denoting a Roadmaster block. I don't think there's any way to say that it's an original engine, just that it's a '49 Roadmaster engine, and as such, very likely the original. The tag to the right of the main body tag on the firewall is probably a match for the VIN tag, found on the inside of the A pillar on sedanets; I'm not sure if converts have one there. The number you give fits the format for a VIN of a California-built '49 Buick.

Best,

Steve.

• 1 month later...

Chris, In the older parts books , you had a beginning engine # for a given year. they didn't match the serial #. I had a low mileage 48 roadmaster sedanette (?spelling) stick shift body # 2 and the engine was one of the frist 20 built so I think it was correct.

Bill