AAA & SCCA 1944-1960 racing pictures wanted

The International Motor Racing Library in Watkins Glen has all of the SCCA records from 1944 on. They had a ton of data on my Healey and it's driver.If you send in  a written request, they will research it for you.

Rich,

Thank you for the information.

This is a picture of Ben Harris on the front row of the Last Queen Catherine Cup race at Watkins Glen.

#51 MG.

This was the last street race, Wacker slid the crazy 8 Allard wide, hit the crowd, and unfortunately a 8 year old boy was killed.

Fred Wacker was Pres of the scca at the time, Chicago region >>>>> VERY long documented story, involving Ben, which follows this tragedy.

Bill Green, head of the research center you refer too is at Watkins Glen, and as you state, is the holder of the SCCA archives, gave me guidance on Ben, dam near 22 years ago.

He knew Ben ended up being an important figure in the National level of the SCCA.

He was my inspiration to learn the art of researching,archival work and documenting historical facts.

You see, Bill Green,1952, took a picture of the front row of that Cup race, when he was 8 years old.

It later turned into a painting.

Ben raced sometimes, actually gave Bill some posters of old race events at the Glen and Elkhart Lake, maybe 3 months ago now,

Ben was more set on building the SCCA to a National level of sporting

Ben is being Inducted into the Watkins Glen Walk of Fame this Fall, he Deservedly joins Collier, Hill, Stewart, Shelby, Cunningham, Hill, Kimberly and other race legends.

I will be working with Bill again, as Ben is being submitted for induction in the SCCA Hall Of Fame.

>>>>>>>>> Rich, cool that you got the race history on your car, great documentation and adds value.

The entire story of Ben and his remarkable Speedster is over whelming to me now, 32 years of research is enough.

Making some last attempts to gather more docs and pics, >>> kind of why I started the old pics wanted, up to 1960 topic area.

Bens Speedster, when first shown by Invitation, was placed on a pedestal at the 1937 Chicago International Show, had a AAA racing plate on it.

Ben is deserving of many forms of recognition, which the public will decide upon when all is known,

His 1935 Speedster Creation, is no bigger than an ac cobra, 911 Porsche or D Type jag etc.

Need a writer as I have expressed.

The info I have been posting, is truly just a pittance of what we have accumulated.

Respectfully.

John

image.png.ce4562f734ed3a90e465e9ad6ee0e8dd.png

Edited by harris speedster (see edit history)

Greg, yes it is.

I have read about a few of the Baker electric cars, always looked like a personal carriage, as most early automobiles made did.

I would agree, out of Jules Vernes novel .

Frazer and a Ferrari, Sebring, 1952, to my best knowledge.

Seems Alec was a friend of Ben's. Best I know, FIA rules, International race, were in partial play

BUT, notice AAA is noted too.  

AAA was heading out of racing and would be gone in a few short years, USAC was born somewhere in between, 1952-1953, best I can figure?

Big Opportunities also  came about for the SCCA 

s-l1600.jpg

3 hours ago, Bill Boudway said:

Hi,

Some interesting history about the 1928 LeMans.

Four American cars in the front four finishers.

https://www.allpar.com/racing/lemans-1928.html

Thanks for posting the link Bill.

Many cars makes that are now gone,  participated in auto racing.

Guess the old  saying>. basically >>> win today, sell cars tomorrow philosophy.

The Europeans were all about rally's, road course tracks and 24 hour races.

The SCCA focused on euro cars and American cars, for road course races.

Indy was our focus for many years, and so was Oval tracks.

Any of those cars are legal for any vintage racing events, here and abroad.

image.jpeg.711d9fb81bae01fb5c0bd1f8547b6d91.jpegcar no 22 was entered in the 8th Vanderbilt cup race in Milwaukee Oct2nd 1912. Mercedes car no 22 driven by de Palma next raced in the 10th Vanderbilt cup in San Francisco March 6th 1915 but this vehicle was referred to as one of the not-too-successful 6 cyl aero-engined, chain-driven cars. Reference The Checkered Flag by Peter Helck

What I see on that merc are the quick jacks. Pit stop times have always been important.

To study early racing in Florida (e.g. Sebring) you need to look at the ARCF  (Automobile Race Club of Florida aka Auto Racing Club of Florida) and the interesting membership.

17 minutes ago, padgett said:

What I see on that merc are the quick jacks. Pit stop times have always been important.

To study early racing in Florida (e.g. Sebring) you need to look at the ARCF  (Automobile Race Club of Florida aka Auto Racing Club of Florida) and the interesting membership.

Padgett,

Thanks for the info, I will follow up at the ARCF.

Have done some research at the REVS Institute. Collier was a very important man in the early days of SCCA racing.

Ben's stone is being placed in the same Walk of Fame as Colliers. Those early days and racing must have been fantastic.

Hi John,

Sorry for my delay in replying, but I've been thinking about your thread since you started it. 

A decade or two ago my wife and I stopped at a garage sale where I came across on old slide projector, screen and a couple dozen boxes of slides all in very nice condition. The seller said $5.00 for the works, so on a whim I took it all. It was cheap for a night's entertainment. Turns out 90% of it was boring vacation shots. However there were two boxes of SCCA related shots which I decided to keep. They've been stored away for ages but, having fallen short on quarrantine projects, I decided to seek them out after all these years.

I believe most date mid to late '50's and were taken at various events. Elkhart, Iowa City, Road America and many have notes hand written on the frames. Trouble is they are all still in the medium of slide pictures so I cannot share them here. However, after this quarantine has passed, I would be happy to have them transfered to a more user friendly medium and share them with you.

Cheers, Greg

20200330_114251.jpg.2c802e3af1c735c4cb4630b06bcb8b90.jpg20200330_114258.jpg.114f21e4694e80f40221eeae80c5e7f8.jpg

Edited by GregLaR (see edit history)

I just remembered what prompted me to keep these boxes of slides. Among the race photos were a couple shots of very early design concept Corvettes on display at a couple of these races.

Where are you located John? I have a writer friend here in Palm Springs, CA. with over a hundred published books to her credit. Ghost writes for many. In fact she has just completed a biography for a pilot friend of mine. If she is too far away from you geographically, I'm certain she could put you in touch with a competent writer in your area.

Greg

Edited by GregLaR (see edit history)

22 hours ago, GregLaR said:

I just remembered what prompted me to keep these boxes of slides. Among the race photos were a couple shots of very early design concept Corvettes on display at a couple of these races.

Where are you located John? I have a writer friend here in Palm Springs, CA. with over a hundred published books to her credit. Ghost writes for many. In fact she has just completed a biography for a pilot friend of mine. If she is too far away from you geographically, I'm certain she could put you in touch with a competent writer in your area.

Greg

Greg,

Thanks for bringing these slides up. YES, very big deal too me.

Early design Vette, not making any statements of fact on this topic, but Ben may have been a part of why Zora and Harley went racing.

VERY interested to know which tracks the vette's were at? 

WE found, what look to be,  Marilyn Monroe sitting in Bens Speedster>> BY CHANCE< JUST LIKE THIS !!!!!!!!

Long story with many details that seem to change history as written in many ways, have to be careful.

Few points :

Harley's son, Austin Healey I believe, raced at every track Ben officiated at, Harley and Zora delivered a special one off vette to ben out of the design studio, believe Harley and Zora were stock holders in Road America because of Ben,ey

they brought concept cars to the Inguinal race at Road America.   Vette pit next to Arnolts pit, Michael Arnolt, Wacky's son, did send me pics, Ben at Sebring, staying in Wacky's Tower he owned

& reassured me Wacky was a stock holder in Road America, just like Ben, MUCH MORE.

Matter of fact, this surfaced yesterday; should be a good READ, AS BEN is on the front cover throwing the flag with his buddies going by at 130 mph>> Ben was nominated for this HONOR.

Have lined up persons to look at Gordon Buehrigs original manuscript at the ACD Museum, Bens Speedster was in it.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, i am very interested to find out what you un -earthed >>> one car guy to the next, thank you.

A writer would be nice, she will be working with hard docs and facts, no heresay or  B/S.

John

BEN PICTURED INAUGURAL RACE TRACK OFFICIAL< WONDER WHY THAT WOULD BE ?????????????????????

s-l1600.jpg

One slide with a design concept car is hand dated on the frame as "Elkhart 1957".

It is blue with a white side cove and has a clear bubble top, which is open and several people present. Sorry the image is too small for me to identify them with just a magnifying glass.

5 hours ago, GregLaR said:

One slide with a design concept car is hand dated on the frame as "Elkhart 1957".

It is blue with a white side cove and has a clear bubble top, which is open and several people present. Sorry the image is too small for me to identify them with just a magnifying glass.

Located in Illinois, forgot to mention.

Please let me know when you can get them legible for viewing.

I see one box says chanute, very interesting.

Thanks,

John

• Like 1

John,

I got to thinking about this and I was pretty sure I had saved 3 boxes of slides so, after some further digging, I did find the third box. It is only labeled "Car Races" but these slides are clearly from an earlier era. Only two slides have writing on the frames. One names people in the picture: R. Marks, R. McConnell, L. Delano & Wife. However I don't know if these are participants or just friends of the photographer. The other hand written slide says "Excalibur J" and shows a picture of a car numbered 81. I took a picture of that slide with my cell phone which I was able to enlarge enough to post here to give you a reasonable idea of the image.

Once we are free to go out in public again, I will get these pics transferred to a more user friendly medium.

Best, Greg

20200331_225036.jpg.bd1ee75750c338febc1f4572330f0750.jpg

20200331_225735.jpg.61ac814f421cc829f88c651772fb3103.jpg

Greg,

Please keep me informed, will see if I can find a way to ID the pic above.

The earlier races, SCCA was founded back east in late 1944.

Even if they are AAA, I would still be interested. 

Padget

If I am not mistaken, thats the SLR, or something like that?

The other pic,  a flooded SEBRING race?

Thanks to both you guys, for chiming in.

This could be a really cool thread.

AS< MOST cars through the decades had racing counter parts

7 hours ago, GregLaR said:

I will get these pics transferred to a more user friendly medium.

Look up a thread entitled "Convert slides to digital" by richasce, Feb 16, 2018,  On ebay you can find a adapter for a SLR camera to do 1 slide at a time.

• Thanks 1

a) BARK-ley

b) That was Sebring 65 when all you saw of the Sebring Sprite was a mound in the water. Have mentioned Florida frog-stranglers before. I was a corner worker and remember just a wall of water coming at us.

c) re bodied W125 AFAIR. Thought the SLR was a 300SL with the desmo engine.

National is one of those makes that have surprisingly few known survivors. Very active in racing and built for quite a few years with reasonable production numbers. Standard catalog shows between 1000 and 1500 units built every year from 1907 all the way to 1919 , after which  numbers rapidly fell off.

But very seldom seen in the vintage car hobby. Horseless Carriage club roster usually only shows 15 or so examples  { 1915 or older  }

Greg ion Canada

• Thanks 1