Radio question

Buick35

I have a period correct medium wave/long wave radio in my MGB.I can only receive a few a/m channels because of the frequencies in the U.S.but I've got one that I don't mind. The trouble is that I want it to get louder. I have a single speaker and wondered if I could install an amplifier and if that would help.Please don't tell me about blue tooth and smart phones,I don't have either one and don't care to. Luddites Unite! Thanks.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and assume it's not a GT. Getting ANYTHING loud enough in a convertible is a huge technical problem. Getting enough speaker(s) in the car is going to be the problem. Amplifiers are easy and readily available for car stereos. Most can take a speaker output as an input. Many can also be bridged to mono if desired. You will have to find room for speakers, probably several. It is unlikely that one speaker in the stock hole will be loud enough. Look for one that can handle a whole bunch of REAL watts (power), not stereo sale watts.

As for bluetooth, or even a wired input from the earbud jack of a phone or an ipod-like thing, I've not done it yet, but in theory it solves a bunch of problems for getting music in an old car without making a bunch of holes. I'm kind of a luddite too, but I would not be quick to dismiss that. It doesn't help you with the speakers-in-a-convertible issue. That part you will just have to work out. I hope it goes well. Let us know what you came up with.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Buck

I have installed the Aurora Design 2.7 in many MG Blaupunkts British Motor Beckers and Toyota as well as Bendix radios w/o a snag. The kit is so small it fits in just about anything giving you 4 x 45 watts per channel stereo am and fm. So not only is  it louder but you get fm. You can hook it up to your exiting single speaker and turn it up as loud as the speaker will permit w/o blowing it.

See:  BillTheRadioGuy.com

bill@billtheradioguy.com