Knob on floor pedal for exhaust cutout 'teens Buick

Morgan Wright

9 hours ago, 21raceabout said:

Or modify a HSS lathe cutter with a dremel cutoff wheel and make a series of concentric rings in a piece of cast iron rod after first turning and tapping the other end.  IMG_1051.JPG.1e4c90bca64e497bc0f91e8c30516df9.JPG

I wanted to make a hand operated knob like a stick shift. I have no idea why.

14 hours ago, Daves1940Buick56S said:

Maybe it's not correct, but the maple ball looks cool! You can tell people that the "gearshift" was made for folks with really, really long arms!

My arm wasn't long enough, it's better as a foot pedal, so this is how it looks now engaged and disengaged:

2.jpg

1.jpg

• Like 3

I think they became banned at some point.

In the 1929 Master Parts List, the index lists many parts under "cutout" this or that, with parts group numbers 3.740 to 3.745, but when you go to the body of the list, all those parts are gone, the whole section is gone, except one part called accelerator pedal button "formerly used as cutout plunger button." Like they were reusing the part for something because the original purpose had been banned.

Another reason I think it was banned is my cutout mechanism had a cotter pin blocking it from functioning. I thought it was all rusted together or broken until I saw the cotter pin, and when I removed it, the mechanism worked fine. Why would somebody put a cotter pin there to stop the cutout from working? All they had to do was not use it. I think they put the cotter pin there when it was banned.

• 1 month later...