NY Inspection Sticker location

checker

I'm looking for some history here on where NY State placed inspection stickers in 1958-1959.  I've googled my share of old cars and websites but cannot find a consistent answer.  I realize where they have placed them from early 70s on but I can't find any proof that in 1958 it was in the same location.  I have a new reproduction sticker I'm wanting to install properly.

Thanks

Back in the 1950s I recall seeing them not only in the lower corner of the driver windshield, but also on either the driver's or the passenger's vent window. At that time, despite the claimed reason, they were frequently little more than a Proof of Tax Paid, especially in New York City. 

• Like 2

I remember them being in the passenger side lower corner in the fifties. In the middle sixties  or so the sticker was moved to the upper center of the windshield above the mirror. In 67 or 68 it moved to the left lower corner where it still is today. I don't remember the sticker ever being on the vent window.

• Like 1

The only year for a top-center windshield inspection sticker in NY was 1967, as I recall.  My '52 Plymouth (off the road since 1969) has the remnants of one in that location.

The photo shows a Checker cab with a vent-window sticker.   The sticker is NOT an inspection sticker.  If it was, it would have 12 calendar months printed on it and a hole through the month it expired.  

Thanks Harold.   Since I pulled the sticker image off of the inspection sticker website I wrongly assumed it was an inspection sticker however as you pointed out it is not.  It is a 1956-57 New York City Tax Stamp.  Perhaps that was what added to some of the confusion.   I did notice the correct 1957 Inspection sticker does not have a hole punched through for the month, instead it is printed on the decal.  Looks like 1958 they started punching them at the bottom.

1957.png

s-l640.jpg

Edited by checker
added photos (see edit history)

Just to double-check myself, I googled "1967 ny inspection sticker location" and the following was the top response: 

1967 and the 1968 stickers were the only years NY state placed the sticker on the upper center of the window near the rear view mirror on the inside.  

I also recall that , in NYS, you didn't need an inspection sticker until the vehicle was 4 years old.  I don't know when this rule was phased-out, but was probably in effect well into the 1960's.

Edited by Harold (see edit history)
  • Like 1

thats a nyc sticker 

6 hours ago, checker said:

Thanks all for the replies.  Seems apparent that there may not be a solid rule back then.  Although mine is a 1958, attached is a 1956 car showing a 1956 inspection sticker on the passenger side vent window.  

ny-city-1956-tax-stampjpg.image.534x531.jpg

On 2/16/2020 at 9:07 AM, EmTee said:

Only if the vehicle was so equipped from the factory.

A8 Period photo~3.jpg

I bought a 60 Impala in 1968. The expired NY inspection sticker was at the top center of the windshield.  When I got it inspected the new sticker was installed in the left lower corner of the windshield. Stickers issued in 1968 said 1969 on them.  My father bought a new 53 Plymouth. He didn't have to have it inspected until 1958 when it was five model years old, then every year after that. This changed around 1970 or 1971 when all cars including brand new ones had to be inspected every year.

• Like 1