Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

I don't think I've ever posted this one before.   Or I might have when we were trying to figure out what the chassis was on #9.    The shaft running down the top of the hood is a like a rifle scope for sighting the line down the middle of a strip.

garage2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, alsancle said:

This has been posted in the Reo Royale thread but it is the only known photograph of the 8-35 Convertible Victoria.

1931 Reo Royale Victoria Custom Convertible, Factory Photo.jpg

That's an attractive car. The more I look, the more I like the Royales.

What's the story on the tires? At a glance it looks like whitewalls that have been painted black and scuffed, but the markings on the front tire are pretty precise.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

That's an attractive car. The more I look, the more I like the Royales.

What's the story on the tires? At a glance it looks like whitewalls that have been painted black and scuffed, but the markings on the front tire are pretty precise.

I have one I'll sell you.    Good question on the tires,  I never noticed before.   I'll have to go find the original and make a better scan.

AL, thanks for all of those, just about everything is something I have not seen before! wow.

I love the pose/look/attitude of the fellow in the derby hat . Look at the style of clothes he is wearing too. Sets the tone and very much gives one an idea of the era when these cars were new.

Walt

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

Not mine and you probably have already seen it.   But a cool picture.    I went through a cycle fender Hupp stage where I really wanted one.  If I stall long enough the urge almost always passes.

1932_Hupmobile.jpg

They actually are really neat cars - especially with chrome tube runningboard protectors, sidemount covers, budd snap on  SS spoke covers, and ... - lots of really cool art deco details, though doubtful CCCA will ever take them in. 

6 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

I could have had a ride around Lime Rock in that great looking car. Bob 

Bob, we will take it for a spin......I promise! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've posted pictures of the 8-35,  8-48 and 8-52.  So here is a 8-31.   Mechanically identical to the longer wheelbase cars,  they chopped 4 inches out of the cowl,  went with louvers and generally tried to save a little bit of money to offer the Royale in a lower price bracket.   Mark Gregory on the forum here has a 8-31 Victoria.

RoyalePoliceCar.jpg

• Like 2

it’s basically done........manifold issues now. I shal make it my life’s work to get it done now.......just to see you spend money!😎

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alsancle said:

Eddy,  how long has your best buddy in the world been working on the engine now?   You may not live long enough.

If this was a TV show featured build the next line would be "He wants to drive the car safely so the crate motor small bock is the way to go so he can enjoy his car."............……..

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)

Matt: I remember as a kid seeing tires that had been curbed having white showing. I was told that under the black outer wall the was a white inner layer and to make a white wall a uniform amount of the outer layer was removed. Scuff a curb and the under layer was revealed in spots.

15 hours ago, alsancle said:

Ok,  my last never before published picture of the day.  I will have to scan more later.

Duesenberg_J-581_Rollston_Convertible_Sedan_(new_to_Chris)[1].jpg

Obviously a very unusual D.  Its also interesting that it has mis matched tires.  Depending on when it was taken, one wonders if it was a matter of availability or practical economics.

22 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Its also interesting that it has mis matched tires.  Depending on when it was taken, one wonders if it was a matter of availability or practical economics.

If it was during the war, a huge possibility.

Craig

1 hour ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

This thread is great, and doing what Walt intended, thanks!

I love pics that tell a story.  Here is one stolen from the net that could have been any town...

FB_IMG_1583972812350.jpg

Looks like The Strip outside an Army base (Golden Eaggle, Navy would be Golden Anchor)

Dr. Hook and the original Queen of the Silver Dollar.

"Now don't let those boy's write on your car again, Betty"

Image result for betty father knows best

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

The Governor of NY State on the tv just now lectured for all to "stay away from people" - WELL this is one way for all of us old used car  collectors to stay in contact and continue our friendship thanks to AACA! I have said it before and will keep saying it - Thank you , to all of you who are contributing images if you can, as well as your comments and observations. Look forward to the day when we will all be able to shake hands in friendship once again - that day will not be far away. Remember the great times ( if you attended Hershey last October think of that) . Keep well all and thank you - gotta go look some more stuff up to put here.

Walt

• Like 2