Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

46 minutes ago, coachJC said:

1929? Auto show Toronto

auto_show_1929.jpg

The Chrysler exhibit just beyond the hanging 'Pierce-Arrow" sign are two 'Ribbon-radiator-shell" Imperial, a couple cars further are 1930 70 and 77 models with their stepped pennon louvered hoods.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, coachJC said:

1933/34 Auto show Toronto

There is some kind of interesting open touring car at the left of this photo.. the resolution just is not very good to blow up.

AutomotiveShow_1929.jpg

The Airflow coupe is definitely a 1934 DeSoto, the open touring with the top folded is a 1934 Cadillac.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, edinmass said:

07B1B753-D036-4F57-BD8E-42060C519748.png

I'd sure like to see the photos of the CARS that were under those coachbuilder signs immediately in the foreground!!

It appears a whole section of that show was dedicated to coachbuilder's.

Craig

• Like 1

9 hours ago, W_Higgins said:

I have been unable to determine what that is bolted to the front wheel. 

I would guess it shows the reflection of a two story house that is casting a shadow of the peak of the roof in the foreground.

Is your car the one from the Chicago area? There are a few of those still out there in a wide range of condition.

I like the H&E cars. Every once in a while I get the itch for something just a little modified.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

That Cord L-29 coupe is identified in the ACD Crestline text by Don Butler as the work of the designers and craftsmen in the Los Angeles body shops of Auburn-Fuller Co. the southern California A-C-D distributor.

• Thanks 3

Just now, 58L-Y8 said:

That Cord L-29 coupe is identified in the ACD Crestline text by Don Butler as the work of the designers and craftsmen in the Los Angeles body shops of Auburn-Fuller Co. the southern California A-C-D distributor.

Thanks! It has that LA Hot Rod look. Bob 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, alsancle said:

It still exists and was in Canada last I heard.  If Mike Brady is floating around here he may have more details.   It was for sale 10 years ago.

If I knew where it was and knew it was for sale........I would own it 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 60FlatTop said:

Is your car the one from the Chicago area? There are a few of those still out there in a wide range of condition.

I like the H&E cars. Every once in a while I get the itch for something just a little modified.

Nope, but I know of the car.  It has been for sale for quite awhile and I think finally moved on not too long ago.  It is a '60 Town Car same as the one in the first era photo I posted.  

Of both years and both models, of the 297 they made I can account for 56 of them by VIN and (as you say) in a wide range of condition.  Every once in awhile one that I didn't know about will crop up, but at this point, statistically, I think that's about all of them.  They have a pretty high survival rate at 19%.  Interestingly enough, there were far fewer Limos made, but they account for 29% of survivors both years.   

I know submissions for this thread are supposed to be "period" but in this case the photos themselves are almost AACA eligible.... I've got to get working on this thing.  These were taken at a stopover at a friends house on the way home from where it was retrieved.  It is the third 1959 Lincoln produced at Wixom and likely the third H&E conversion.  I suspect #1 and #2 were also shipped off to H&E but they have not surfaced.  #5 and #6 were and given how the VIN's have revealed other sequential clumps, I suspect most of these were pulled off the line in batches throughout the production year.  My own car has some trivial features that indicate they were rushing it though H&E to get some early examples out the door, and these practices were confirmed by a former H&E shop foreman that I talked to shortly after I bought the car. 

Limo1.jpg

Limo3.jpg

• Like 2

540K-Cab-A-WashingtonDC-4.jpg

Btw,   this Mercedes 540k Cab A shown in Washington D.C is 100% guaranteed to have never been published before.   I expect some thumbs up for this one.  The car was brand new and being delivered to the new owner in Maryland from Mitropa Motors in NY City.

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 8

On 3/16/2020 at 6:29 PM, 58L-Y8 said:

Your great uncle Charles May must have been doing well, he didn't just have any '54 Commander, his was the Land Cruiser.   Those were the top-of-the-line sedan on the longer 120.5" wb, easy to tell because they're the only model with vent windows in the rear doors.   Snazzy, two-tone red and white, white-wall tires.    A '51 Studebaker behind it, was yours a Studebaker family?

He was a retired farmer and had nice things and a beautiful farm that his son-in-law farmed by the time I could remember things. I always said I would buy it (at least the buildings) some day when it became available but when it finally did I was established somewhere else and passed. I still drive by anytime I'm in the area and the current owners are doing a nice job keeping it up and it looks pretty much as it did in the 60s, including the out buildings. Didn't realize it was a Land Cruiser. Not sure who the 51 belonged too, I really don't remember it. It may have been his also and it got demote to his wife my great aunt Dellie, when he bought the 54.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, alsancle said:

540K-Cab-A-WashingtonDC-4.jpg

Btw,   this Mercedes 540k Cab A shown in Washington D.C is 100% guaranteed to have never been published before.   I expect some thumbs up for this one.  The car was brand new and being delivered to the new owner in Maryland from Mitropa Motors in NY City.

I wonder if it was uncomfortable driving Germany's ultimate status symbol in Washington DC in the late 1930s?

1 minute ago, Matt Harwood said:

I wonder if it was uncomfortable driving Germany's ultimate status symbol in Washington DC in the late 1930s?

The good news is that when the current owner pays for the history research,  he won't get back a picture of Goring sitting in the driver's seat.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Not as uncomfortable as it would be by 44. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

The good news is that when the current owner pays for the history research,  he won't get back a picture of Goring sitting in the driver's seat.

Did Slim have more than one 540K? I saw one at Completion Motors 20 years ago, had a dash plaque read something like Happy Birthday your pal Adolf. Bob 

3 hours ago, alsancle said:

Courtesty of John Schiess-02.jpg

Note the year on the license plate. I'll bet people were looking at you funny for driving that car in 1942.

By the way, there are many pictures of Goering with his fat butt riding in various Cadillacs and at least one Buick. Evidently, he was fond of American cars.

• Like 1