Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

Clark Gable shots........what’s up with the 1931 Cadillac 355A V-8? Even I had one of them........in my 20’s!

1713F464-D02B-411E-B078-06F52BDF768E.png

A185AD77-B521-4538-BC1B-FA7D0A182C54.png

• Like 3

17 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Just noticed the windshield, is this the former McGowan Brothers J that was once blue? Bob 

d1.thumb.jpg.2a7168d45aac05824a341aaafb689286.jpg

This Murphy Beverly has been Gold for years and years - it had whitewalls on it though until maybe 7 or so years ago.  The Blackwalls changed the car's looks in both photos and in person (though I am far from an advocate of blackwall tires - the blackwalls here have to do with being mounted on chrome wire wheels and the particular color of the car). 

1934-duesenberg-model-j-468-lwb-custom-beverly-sedan-by-murphy.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've got two more of these best of the year billboard books, had them for years, finally letting someone see them. Bob ………………..Back tomorrow, I used my TWO ONLY for the day allowance , some day this site will allow three or four per day, just don't hold your breath. 

DSCF5933.JPG

DSCF5934.JPG

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Sorry, old cars are for dogs. 

Hey Bob, to that I can only add that " a lot of old dogs here looking at this  like old cars too"

and yes I will admit that I am one of those old dogs. 😏

Walt

• Thanks 1

And one or two more , the sun is out here on long island , so all is good.

the car in the fog is a Derham bodied 1931 Franklin that was at the Chicago and NY salons in late 1930, location is Montauk Point at the very eastern tip of long island, ca. 1981 when AACA sponsored a Glidden Tour and that was primarily organized and run by Margaret and George Vitale that I helped out on a little. The period b & w photo is of an Auburn at Roosevelt Field airport , in Garden City, NY on long island . Enjoy everyone. I guess by now you realize I have to much old stuff.

FranklinMontaukPointfog001.jpg

BodyType((10)  SPEEDSTER- 1936 Auburn  model  8-852   019.jpg

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Walt G said:

BodyType((10)  SPEEDSTER- 1936 Auburn  model  8-852   019.jpg

A cool photo that I have not seen before !

Sidenote: Click on the photo and you should get an enlargement, then look real close at the top row of Hood Louvers - it spells out Auburn in the stainless trim (plus it has Auburn spelled out in paint over the ornament on the rear quarter panel and also over the Super-Charged emblem on hood - a well labeled car :)).

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Bob, that is a really cool license plate topper of Republic airport! Never saw one before. They had those for Roosevelt Field too.

John, the Auburn photo was printed off an original negative that I was able to borrow 35-40 years ago. Photo was taken by a man named Drennan who was in the Hempstead/Mineola N.Y. area which was right next to the Roosevelt Field airport. Had to give the negative back and then the fellow that had it passed away so I guess it was tossed out as trash.

Yes, the name Auburn is noted all over the car as you observed.

• Like 1

Thanks Bob, as I stated earlier can we please post photos etc of things with wheels not legs and paws?  I love animals, but there is a time and place for everything , no?

By the way the last two photos I posted are of a 1926 Diana touring and a 1930 Windsor White Prince roadster.

Edited by Walt G
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Thanks Bob, as I stated earlier can we please post photos etc of things with wheels not legs and paws?  I love animals, but there is a time and place for everything , no?

By the way the last two photos I posted are of a 1926 Diana touring and a 1930 Windsor White Price roadster.

Thank heavens you told us! I had no idea what those were; thank you for posting. For a second I thought you may be helping us to solve the mystery of the Minerva-looking car that Ed posted last week. That Diana car almost has the same sort of radiator and seam running along the length of hood top. Anyone venture a guess on that one yet?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Walt G said:

This photo ( and others I have someplace) was taken at an antique car show in Ohio. Not sure of location, but the license plates show 1949 so that was when the car show took place.

Packard1909-Ohio1949001.jpg

At that time, the Packard was only about 35 years old. It's like us going to a show today and looking at a 1985 model. Amazing how perspectives have changed. Is it because technology changed so radically then and not so much today? Even in 1949, that Packard was vastly different than a new 1949 car. Today a 1985 car is more or less the same as a new car.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1