Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

Rural Brittany, France, 1930s. Museum of Brittany photo.

"Scène rurale à Val d'Izé (35 I&V), une famille d'entrepreneurs à l'oeuvre encore bien connue dans la région actuellement. Cliché Hervagault"

Google translate says - "Rural scene in Val d'Izé (35 I&V), a family of entrepreneurs still well known in the region today. Photo Hervagault"

I see quite a lot of American influence in the styling of the Renault truck.

sag renault truck.jpg

• Like 4

On 11/24/2023 at 12:10 PM, edinmass said:

IMG_1672.png

IMG_1659.png

IMG_1658.png

The KB in the middle picture has painted headlight shells, painted fender lights and tail lights. Very cool car with the cut down windshield and top. I am curious why they didn’t go with the painted side mount covers.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2023 at 3:38 PM, 58L-Y8 said:

A.J.:

For the most part, yes, oldest to youngest.  The 1940-'41 cars are purest, truest to the original design concept which is this one which was to be only a one-off special Lincoln-Zephyr convertible for Edsel Ford's Florida vacation during March 1939.  It was the enthusiastic response from his social contemporaries that motivated the creation of the second car (below) which is considered the engineering prototype.  Edsel, being the sharp 'car guy' he was, quickly saw the potential to institute a special semi-custom Lincoln-Zephyr based convertible to keep a presence in the luxury car segment as the Lincoln K wound to a close.  The availability of Lincoln body shop craftsmen to construct the cars was the other critical asset necessary.  Had costly low-volume tooling been necessary, it's unlikely the old man would have approved it. 

Steve

Addendum: this second car is four inches shorter in the hood and front fenders than the first one.  Both were built on convertible sedan chassis.

1939_Lincoln_Continental_prototype.jpg

Ironically, the car's designer, Bob Gregorie, hated the rear end of the original Continental, but Edsel Ford wanted it that way. Gregorie said it looked like a dog hunching down to defecate ... which is why the rear end of the 1942 and later cars was reshaped to "stand proud."

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, Tph479 said:

I came across this vacationing in Florida. I have it labeled as a “crime against humanity” in my photo album.

IMG_5513.jpeg

You often see this catastrophe on cars from India. I was told by a gentleman from India that the culture considers the dark formal colors as being morbid. This type of hack color selection is also typical in America by companies that rent out old cars for weddings.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Tph479 said:

I came across this vacationing in Florida. I have it labeled as a “crime against humanity” in my photo album.

IMG_5513.jpeg

This car is on display at Disney. Same year and model as my '29 Cadillac. I spotted it last time I was there and was chagrined by just how mutilated it really is. Did you notice the white vinyl interior? I couldn't see what was under the hood, but I presume a SBC.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, West Peterson said:

Gregorie said it looked like a dog hunching down to defecate ... which is why the rear end of the 1942 and later cars was reshaped to "stand proud."

I wonder if there a ‘42 styling rationale for butchering the front end, other than “we need to bulk up more like Cadillac”.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, West Peterson said:

Ironically, the car's designer, Bob Gregorie, hated the rear end of the original Continental, but Edsel Ford wanted it that way. Gregorie said it looked like a dog hunching down to defecate ... which is why the rear end of the 1942 and later cars was reshaped to "stand proud."

Old E.T. could be pretty salty in his comments about the designs he authored.  In this case Edsel's unerring good taste prevailed.   The follow anecdote from interviews by the author with Bob Gregorie related in the book The Untold Story of The Lincoln Continental by Henry Dominguez, page 27:

"When Gregorie made the original sketch, he drew in an integral rear trunk, giving little thought to its functionality other than it should be big enough for some luggage.  By the time the prototype was practically done, however, he realized that it was too small to hold a spare tire.  His deadline was fast approaching, and he dreaded the possibility of having to revamp the trunk area at this late date.

Gregorie cornered Edsel as soon as he came in and explained his dilemma. The two talked for what seemed like hours, but finally arrived at a solution.  In what appeared to be a classic decision of placing function over form, it was actually a compromise to keep the project on schedule. Instead of redoing the trunk area so that it could accept a spare tire, Edsel and Gregorie decided to mount the spare tire on the outside of the trunk lid. (rear surface) They were left with no alternative; it was, after all, the only place available on the car on which to put it.  "It surely wasn't a styling twist," explained Gregorie emphatically."

I have no reason to doubt this anecdote given that the primary objective of the project was to quickly create a one-off special with potentially limited use life in mind.   

Edited by 58L-Y8
Unlined the book title (see edit history)
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Lee H said:

I wonder if there a ‘42 styling rationale for butchering the front end, other than “we need to bulk up more like Cadillac”.

Actually, there is, it's in the book: Edsel Ford and E.T. Gregorie, The Remarkable Design Team and Their Classic Ford of the 1930's and 1940's by Henry Dominguez.  I'll find the section that describes those decisions shortly.

From page 237:

""Just before the war," Gregorie recalls, " we designed the heavier-looking front end of the 1942 Continental.  All the General Motors cars had been beefed up by this time--especially the Cadillac with the new 60-Special--so they looked heavier and a little more important on the road.  Compared to these cars, the Continental -- with its razorback hood, those skinny fenders, and little skinny bumpers --looked like a hungry horse.  Edsel, of course, like those features, but I finally convinced him that a car in its price range has to look a little more important on the road.  So that's when we developed the new hood, new front fenders and horizontal grille.  We never changed the body.  The doors, the windshield, and the floor pan were all the same.  With its big husky-looking front end, it looked a little out of proportion in places, like so many of those facelift deals.  But it was still a right decent-looking car.  The '42 front end was a nice-looking front end.  The horizontal bars were very nice.  It looked important. "..."The '42 Continental. by the way, was the last decision Edsel made on a Lincoln.'

Further, page 214:

"The Lincoln people wanted something flashy, something that would compete against the massive front end of the Cadillac."  Gregorie said.  "So, we came up with massive-looking grille for the '46 Continental, which I didn't care much for.  It was a rush-rush job, so we just pushed it through.  It looked like the grating for a furnace!"

The styling juggernaut that Harley Earl built throughout the 1930's was completely dominant by the advent of the war.   Although there would be occasional break outs by other automakers to present leading styling, for the most part it was a calculated risk to run counter to what the overall themes that GM was presenting.

Edited by 58L-Y8
addendum comments (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lee H said:

I'm sure a lot of it had to do with keeping up with styling trends. After all, Lincoln's 1941 front end style was already into its 7th year.

12 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

This car is on display at Disney. Same year and model as my '29 Cadillac. I spotted it last time I was there and was chagrined by just how mutilated it really is. Did you notice the white vinyl interior? I couldn't see what was under the hood, but I presume a SBC.

Yes I seen the interior. My eyes still hurt from seeing the interior. I think it even had an eight track player sticking out of the dash board.

• Haha 1

Most likely a NY City body maker, there were a few obscure ones and I think this may be one of their examples, have to look it up . May have a sales flyer/folder on the company. Seems familiar. Packard had an amazing dealer network in the 5 boroughs of New York The Packard Motor Car Company of NY. The were also responsible for seeing most of the Packard trucks sold in WWI to go overseas before the USA got into the war .

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 4

On 11/30/2023 at 8:01 AM, 58L-Y8 said:

Old E.T. could be pretty salty in his comments about the designs he authored.  In this case Edsel's unerring good taste prevailed.   The follow anecdote from interviews by the author with Bob Gregorie related in the book The Untold Story of The Lincoln Continental by Henry Dominguez, page 27:

"When Gregorie made the original sketch, he drew in an integral rear trunk, giving little thought to its functionality other than it should be big enough for some luggage.  By the time the prototype was practically done, however, he realized that it was too small to hold a spare tire.  His deadline was fast approaching, and he dreaded the possibility of having to revamp the trunk area at this late date.

Gregorie cornered Edsel as soon as he came in and explained his dilemma. The two talked for what seemed like hours, but finally arrived at a solution.  In what appeared to be a classic decision of placing function over form, it was actually a compromise to keep the project on schedule. Instead of redoing the trunk area so that it could accept a spare tire, Edsel and Gregorie decided to mount the spare tire on the outside of the trunk lid. (rear surface) They were left with no alternative; it was, after all, the only place available on the car on which to put it.  "It surely wasn't a styling twist," explained Gregorie emphatically."

I have no reason to doubt this anecdote given that the primary objective of the project was to quickly create a one-off special with potentially limited use life in mind.   

I'm surprised the spare wasn't mounted on the rear of these, too, considering the awkwardness it took to remove from the trunk; even a smaller 'temporary' spare!!  

Craig

1 hour ago, E-116-YH said:

I don't know what year it is and whom built the body but here is another image of it. The car does seem to have Disteel wheels on it. I have attach an image of one from a 1919 Premier.

IMG_1871.jpeg.5f380a3c863909f3995ef7599eca8540.jpeg

5840227d343e0_BabeRuthwife1.thumb.jpg.882a5c02dba9fd9e86e2470e6b96f8cb.jpg

IMG_4908.JPG

The Sultan of Swats car is 1922 or older. This was a real super car of the day, fitting to a person such as Babe Ruth.  This has a 90 horsepower 60 degree v-12 engine and a 3 speed transmission sitting on an 136 inch wheelbase. It’s a very quick and fast car for the day. This is quite the car for the vintage with its cycle car fenders, boat tail (or maybe bobtail) body, raked cut down windshield and use of a nickel plated grill shell and headlights. I bet The Great Bambino had a lot of fun with this car. I’ve read somewhere that this may have been a $10,000 dollar when new. Expensive, super car of the day.

• Like 2