Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

On 5/10/2023 at 9:36 PM, alsancle said:

Come on George!   You know a White has a flash boiler and can be moving in something like 2 minutes.   We have a White expert in this thread so maybe he can comment?

Must be the expert is off duty, or just silent.  I've been around them far less than Stanleys, but have seen first hand how a White can be steamed up from a cold start in as little as three minutes, provided the car is all set with fuel, air, water and a competent operator (compared to 20 minutes for a Stanley).  I once rode in a Doble that steamed up from a cold start in what seemed like under a minute, an amazing car.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

image.png.a96997c032438ca447665d5cdb3d5657.png

image.png.a9419b034496d643fbd3e64dc1bf224b.png

Some of us attend the private, invitational, annual Modoc Tour (1910s and 1920s cars) based in Alturas (far NE corner of Calif in the high desert -- 4400 ft), and I'll eyeball the buildings in September.  I think the Kozy Kitchen building is still there.  Alturas has a population of not more than 3,000 and is the county seat for Modoc County, large geographically but fewer than 10,000 people and with only one stop light, a four-way blinking red, in the entire county.  All 2-lane roads and people drive friendly!  ...perfect environs for early-car touring.

Edited by Grimy
fix typos (see edit history)
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Definitely not 2023

Those two large trucks carrying people - hey that could be the early form of the Hershey car show transportation between flea markets! 

Heck yes, and in period correct vehicles. Ya Hoo.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Looks like an out of place photo. 

Packard Request.                  John

3 hours ago, George K said:

Cool thing for being British.F5D3FD19-B83A-4E10-90B6-C539480F9EEB.jpeg.2051e367f608c8c3880554c0135927d6.jpeg

The production version had a better looking front in my opinion. The insurance companies were against front-wheel drive when it first come out on the market, too dangerous...

There's a website dedicated to these 1925-31 models, but is it still working?

http://www.hells-confetti.com/

Edited by Casper Friederich (see edit history)

Regarding the Alvis race car photo that Alsancle posted - I wonder if this isn't the Brooklands race track in Surrey , England. not indication of the banked edge but there were/are flat sections and a very active Brooklands Society that held an annual reunion there at that I attended years ago . At the time a decent turn out of original drivers were still alive and it was neat to see them there among the cars.