Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

Terry, that group looks like a bunch of guys waiting to be the first one in the gate at the flea market at Hershey after the long inactivity that we have had to cope with.

Walt

• Like 2

On 6/6/2021 at 11:59 AM, 58L-Y8 said:

This image was included in a 2008 'Railroads and World War II' Special Collector's Edition magazine feature article titled FDR's Wartime Train Travels by Fred B. Wrixon by Classic Trains magazine by Kalmbach Publishing Co. on page 23.  It shows the military welcoming ceremony for FDR's visit to Fort Lewis, Washington, September 22, 1942.   The photo credit noted is "U.S. Army, Robert Wayner Collection, Courtesy Bob Withers. 

For an eight year old 1934 Packard Twelve Model 1108 Dietrich Convertible Sedan by 1942, someone was taking very good care of it evidenced by its fine condition.   If someone has knowledge of or can discover more about this particular Packard, its history and whether we're fortunate enough that it is still extant, we would all welcome the enlightenment.   Following it are a 1941 DeSoto convertible coupe and a late 1920's Lincoln L touring, which nice in their own right, pale by comparison. 

Railroad and WWII -'08 Classic Trains Special Edition 004.JPG

Railroad and WWII -'08 Classic Trains Special Edition 006.JPG

Awesome and note it is front and center (and RR too for that matter) even though a 7-ish year old car

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dave Gelinas (XP-300) said:

A 1HP Ford.

A One Horse Power Ford.jpg

He must have used his last plastic bag full of gasoline due to the pipeline shut down.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, twin6 said:

Can't ID the vehicle, but my guess is that the gent would be willing to sell you something.

1425.jpg

Had this answered elsewhere - 1913 Imperial, built in Jackson, Michigan. Looks like a custom top on a touring car. 

31 minutes ago, nzcarnerd said:

Had this answered elsewhere - 1913 Imperial, built in Jackson, Michigan. Looks like a custom top on a touring car. 

BUT - Varun Cutinho suggests it is a 1913 Interstate. 

1 hour ago, Dave Gelinas (XP-300) said:

BUICK? With 1919 MASS LICENSE PLATE

The man in the middle reminds me of the repentant alcoholic in the Movie "Hang 'Em High" (1968) with Clint Eastwood.

BUICK 1919 MASS LICENSE PLATE.jpg

A 1919-'21 Studebaker Special Six Model EH

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dave Gelinas (XP-300) said:

Queen Elizabeth II' Rolls Royce during her Visit To Melbourne in 1954. 

Visit To Melbourne of Queen Elizabeth II during 1954. Rolls Royce.jpg

Are you sure about the date?

As far as I know a small fleet of Daimlers was used for the royal tour of Australia and New Zealand in 1953-54, six in NZ and four in Australia.

5 minutes ago, nzcarnerd said:

As far as I know a small fleet of Daimlers was used for the royal tour of Australia and New Zealand in 1953-54, six in NZ and four in Australia.

Is that even an Australian license plate?

Craig

12 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

Is that even an Australian license plate?

Craig

I found this pic on the net - definitely a Rolls - but is it 1954? The photo is from a 'members only site', the Herald Sun. I snuck the photo off the google page but couldn't access the info.

See the source image

Here is one that say it is 1954 and it is one of Daimlers that were built in 1946-37 for the tour by George VI that didn't happen due to his health.

[Royal visit. Queen Elizabeth II, Melbourne 1954] [picture] , State Library of Victoria (slv.vic.gov.au)

a41541.jpg

1954 again, with the Daimler landaulet, a Humber Imperial, two Humber Super Snips and two Daimler Conquests.

See the source image

42 minutes ago, nzcarnerd said:

Not sure.

It's the info that came with the photo.

Posed with Flying Cloud and Wolverine automobiles from the Winthrop Motor Co., Reo distributors, are the Maylon Players theatrical troupe. They are enjoying a sunny July day in 1928 at Point Defiance Park. The actors presented plays for appreciative Tacoma audiences including "Rain" and "Naomi of the North."

Kurt M.

Tacoma, WA

download.png

• Like 2

History Motor Car Mysteries, form all over the world, just what this thread was created for. It makes you think about the cars, the people, the places, the architecture and the answers are not always at the press of a plastic button on a keyboard that is hooked up to a box of electronics. 🧐

• Like 2