Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

13 hours ago, 8E45E said:

Packard used a Bijur automatic lubricating system.

Yes, our 1930 Packard 733 7-PanssengerTouring has a fully functional Bijur lubricating system, advising that we pull the handle once each day.

had I done that during the year of Covid-19, our garage floor would reprise the EXXON VALDEZ

8 hours ago, BobinVirginia said:

That’s a gangster looking pic. Any known history on the picture? 

I believe one of these gents (on the right?) is Albert Mussey Johnson (May 31, 1872 – January 7, 1948) (Wiki help) ---an eccentric millionaire who served for many years as president of the National Life Insurance Company, built Scotty's Castle in Death Valley, and was variously partner, friend, and dupe of infamous Wild West con man Death Valley Scotty, for whose outrageous antics he later served as financier.

• Thanks 1

In the summer of 1919 the building at 218-220 St. Helens Avenue was the home of Sam J. Kenyon's Marmon Service Station and Batons Auto Laundry. Mr. Kenyon specialized in servicing and repairing luxury automobiles known for their speed and power.

Kurt M.

Tacoma WA

Marmon.png

Edited by jukejunkie1015
Text issue (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1932 Minerva written on the back of this photo, looks like the Paris Salon. In person the photo image was obviously airbrushed for publication, I wonder if it shows up in one of the French periodicals of the time.  The hood door arms race is here with 7 hood doors, and a hood that covers the cowl.  The Packard individual  Dietrich customs only had 4 hood doors in '32 and '33, with the hood door count reaching 6 by '34 as part of the cowl-covering hood. '32 Lincoln KB's had 5 hood doors.   So is '32 the right year for this photo?  Was Dietrich inspired by this?  Or is the Minerva photo mis-dated?  Weighty issues to ponder! 

1932Minerva_000001.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, LI_BENTLEY said:

Is a White 45 up note electric head and oil side lights.

Looks too big for a 4-40 or a 4-45. Possibly an early 6-60 from 1913-1914. Big, bad ass car. 👍

30 minutes ago, HK500 said:

1932 Minerva written on the back of this photo, looks like the Paris Salon. In person the photo image was obviously airbrushed for publication, I wonder if it shows up in one of the French periodicals of the time.  The hood door arms race is here with 7 hood doors, and a hood that covers the cowl.  The Packard individual  Dietrich customs only had 4 hood doors in '32 and '33, with the hood door count reaching 6 by '34 as part of the cowl-covering hood. '32 Lincoln KB's had 5 hood doors.   So is '32 the right year for this photo?  Was Dietrich inspired by this?  Or is the Minerva photo mis-dated?  Weighty issues to ponder! 

1932Minerva_000001.jpg

Way outside my comfort zone. Fantastic car........looks too good to be the usual suspects in Paris that always did over the top stuff. Wheel disks, partial door window, fender shape, all well done. The hood treatment is outrageous, and wasn’t seen in the states till September of 1932 to my knowledge. Chrome hood doors......quite the statement, as is the rear mounted spare. What year was the first Minerva 8 sleeve valve.........1930?....that thing can’t have a six under the hood. Stunning convertible sedan with a disappearing top......that thing would run as much money as a one off Duesenberg or a factory custom Rolls Royce P2. Quite simply a fantastic car, and a exceedingly expensive automobile. This photo makes my very rare approval of three thumbs up.👍👍👍

Best guess.....1933.

No outside door handles make me think it may not be a convertible sedan. Bumpers look later.......unusual car. Fantastic photo.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HK500 said:

1932Minerva_000001.jpg

Nice photo!    Looks like an AL.   Front door window treatment is unique.

9 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Beetle-2.jpg

Anyone who would post this vehicle on a historic automobile thread would give Mother Theresa a glass of water while she is drowning..............just saying. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Anyone who would post this vehicle on a historic automobile thread would give Mother Theresa a glass of water while she is drowning..............just saying. 

What is more historic than a Bug?

• Like 1

On 5/15/2021 at 4:13 PM, JustDave said:

Wasn’t that guy that had all thos cars tucked away in New York wasn’t his name Richelieu and didn’t he say he had one tucked away,         Dave

I swapped some emails with him a couple of months ago.  I guess he got tired of some of the posters.

Wild guess on my part but could it be a taxicab - perhaps Luxor?  Spotlight is there to see street signs or house numbers. Note the large design painted on the rear door that says "hire cab" to me.

To be fair, a Bug is an important vehicle in automotive history, and many people had them as a first car, and have fond memories of them. I recently drove one for the first time in 40 years......it was actually fun, until I got to the end of the street........slowly.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

?????????????????????????

DSCF8525.JPG

DSCF8526.JPG

Possibly a fleet rental car with driver from a bigger city........a “car service” vehicle? It’s rather clean and detailed for a car that’s probably a few year old....which lends itself to being a car for hire. Notice four lug wheels .........a sign of low horsepower and torque.......sure looks nice and appears large.......but it’s probably no bigger than a small series Buick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, edinmass said:

Possibly a fleet rental car with driver from a bigger city........a “car service” vehicle? It’s rather clean and detailed for a car that’s probably a few year old....which lends itself to being a car for hire. Notice four lug wheels .........a sign of low horsepower and torque.......sure looks nice and appears large.......but it’s probably no bigger than a small series Buick.

Back of the photo is stamped Hartford Courant, Hartford Conn. Winged logo on the door reads CHECKER, that round patch on the drivers sleeve may say CHECKER also. Hub cap on the spare looks to have some sort of GM logo I've never seen.

3 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Back of the photo is stamped Hartford Courant, Hartford Conn. Winged logo on the door reads CHECKER, that round patch on the drivers sleeve may say CHECKER also. Hub cap on the spare looks to have some sort of GM logo I've never seen.

From the net:

There were major changes at Checker in 1928 with a truly new model, the Model K. An advanced, modern design for its day, it was now a purpose built taxi with luxurious town car styling cues. The body was integrated in its design bumper to bumper; no longer did it possess the Commonwealth Mogul front clip mated to a taxicab body first introduced in 1918.

Neat, and my guess that it was smaller than it appears seems to be correct. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And we have a winner......NYC Yellow Cab fleet car.......special order for Yellow Cab, 1929.

B69F61C0-8FA4-4CF5-9A24-582572D0C217.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, edinmass said:

A Volkswagen, the most successful air cooled car in the world, is no less a historical vehicle than any Mercedes or Autocar. Whether you like them or not, history is history and facts are facts.

• Like 3