Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

SHORPY-8b22005a.jpg?itok=GNxBmhFc

7F79 I think is an early Chrysler. No front wheel brakes, so likely a Maxwell carryover model, about 1924 0r '25. It does have the 'trademark' Chrysler beads on the top of the fenders. With a beat up 1939 license plate, the car would need to be almost fifteen years old when the picture was taken!

And underneath a car on a small base jack sitting on grass!? Scary.

Edited by wayne sheldon
I hate leaving typos! (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

This guy could be a poster child for things not to do. Not only is he under a car held up by a jack that I don't like using to fix a flat with that is also sinking in the ground, He's smoking. All these cars of this vintage had updraft carburetors that leaked. Oh well at least he has someone with him to tell everyone who he was!!

SHORPY-8b22005a.jpg

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, alsancle said:

123.jpg

Everybody thinks that hard work was the source of back pain. Nope.....................the automobile! haha

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, hook said:

This guy could be a poster child for things not to do. Not only is he under a car held up by a jack that I don't like using to fix a flat with that is also sinking in the ground, He's smoking. All these cars of this vintage had updraft carburetors that leaked. Oh well at least he has someone with him to tell everyone who he was!!

SHORPY-8b22005a.jpg

Remember my dad doing the same and myself leaning under car to talk to him . He was also a smoker and should have known better as was a REME  8th army mechanic during WW11, suppose the chances of being killed at al Alamein retrieving damaged tanks was much more than smoking near petrol . I remember he told me American Sherman tanks were best , mind you they used to retrieve German tanks too fix and rebadge them .

Edited by Pilgrim65 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, twin6 said:

An Overland for Ian, welcome aboard!

Overland (2).jpg

Thanks Twin6!  But are you sure it's an Overland?  I see the script on the hood, but Overland always placed theirs on the top panel rather than the side.  I'm not too certain what it is, but I like it.

On 4/5/2021 at 6:47 AM, alsancle said:

VanVooren 500K Mercedes.   This car still exists but has not been seen in years.   I think it could be a Pebble Beach winners circle car.

Rollson did a few sun roof conversions on 812 Cords.   There was an unrestored one for sale at Hershey in the last 10 or 15 years.

Jim Davis owns one his dad bought in the 50s.   Have not heard from Jim in years but he was active on the Hamb.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

We only know of two with Rollston installed sunroofs, my Custom Beverly and the Westchester sold at Hershey that went to Spain.

Dad bought the Custom Beverly in May of 1962. No idea who put the sunroof in the one pictured above.

JIm

Edited by sunroofcord
Typo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, sunroofcord said:

We only know of two with Rollston installed sunroofs, my Custom Beverly and the Westchester sold at Hershey that went to Spain.

Dad bought the Custom Beverly in May of 1962. No idea who put the sunroof in the one pictured above.

Jim

This is the Westchester that was sold at Hershey and went to Spain. The pictures were taken at the 2005 ACD Reunion in Auburn, Indiana. Last I knew it was "For Sale" again but that was about 10 years ago.

SUNROOF 9.jpg

SUNROOF 10.jpg

SUNROOF 11.jpg

Edited by sunroofcord
Add Text (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, twin6 said:

That's why we need you, my mistake.  Hope this makes up for it.

Overland delivery.JPG

What an interesting machine.  LHD which says 1915 or later.  Several components look like leftovers from 1914 or even earlier.  I suppose that happened a lot with commercial vehicles.

2 hours ago, sunroofcord said:

This is the Westchester that was sold at Hershey and went to Spain. The pictures were taken at the 2005 ACD Reunion in Auburn, Indiana. Last I knew it was "For Sale" again but that was about 10 years ago.

SUNROOF 9.jpg

SUNROOF 10.jpg

SUNROOF 11.jpg

Nice to see you are back Jim.   I remember the Cord over by the Stadium at Hershey.  This was maybe 10 years ago?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, twin6 said:

What's not to like about an Olds speedster with Solarclypse headlamps?

welding.jpg

My guess is that Mr. Moskowitz would like something like this 🤩

WG

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/9/2021 at 11:43 PM, plymouthcranbrook said:

Well we didn't either alsuncle and there were 830 of us., Course it was in 1969 but still...

We had 419 classmates in 1963, two Corvettes and both of the still belong ot the now 75 year old boys that owned them then.

One was a used 1958, the other a new 1962.   First of the Babyboomers!

The new 62 Corvette guy was a doctors son who inherited the father's Franklin Automobile collection. 

He still has all of it.  The 62 Corvette was a 16th Birthday gift.

The 58 guy became a real car guy and had 59 Fifty Nine Cadillacs at one time in Columbus OH.  Still plays

with cars including the 58 Vette.   Both live on Florida where they grew up.

Edited by Paul Dobbin
The rest of the story (see edit history)
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

We had 419 classmates in 1963, two Corvettes and both of the still belong ot the now 75 year old boys that owned them then.

One was a used 1958, the other a new 1962.   First of the Babyboomers!

You had some lucky mates , love both the 58 and 62 corvettes , the 62 must have been quite expensive then being only a year old , he obviously had parents with a few bucks . My friends and I were 16 in 63 , no one had cars , not allowed to drive until 18 then in Uk , still pedal power , but I had a cyclemaster ( bicycle with 50cc engine in back wheel ) which I did my paper round on , I think I probably should have had a licence but no one ever stopped me , I acquired it through a swop of a valve radio. Had pictures of corvettes then would have loved to have had one even 2 years later when 18 , didn’t pass driving test till 20 , no urgency as had scooter by then , but could never have afforded a 62 corvette, 50 years nothings changed still can’t as good ones fetch 80/100k , perhaps I’ll sell my house 😁

Posted (edited)

In my newspaper this morning was a brief mentioning about a car accident here in Helsinki almost 83 yeas ago.  Two pedestrians were killed, the car was a Ford "of sporting type". That sounded interesting I quickly found a newspaper clipping. It was a 1934 Ford Model 40 De Luxe Coupe that was involved in reckless driving. 

1938 accident.jpg

Edited by Casper Friederich (see edit history)

In honor of my friend Walt, who egged me on to spend a small fortune on 30 odd copies of Omnia magazine I'll post a cool picture that I've never seen before.     The Salon issues are the ones to have and I think I got 3 or 4 in the batch.   But all issues probably have 1/2 dozen cool pictures that I've never seen before.

IMG_8089.jpg

• Like 4

It is an honor to spend other peoples $. Omnia is not a common magazine here in the USA as it was never really imported and put on the newsstand when new because it is in French. It was a monthly magazine that started in 1920 and lasted until 1931. Many researchers have not heard of it often . I have almost a full run of all issues , lacking perhaps 3 or 4 total. It had coated stock paper so the quality of the photographs on that type of paper still is amazing 90 plus years later. Great information and images and the color cover artwork is outstanding. I had the help of getting the run of that publication from a close friend in England who was a motor book dealer , and had a list of things that I was looking for to add to my library/archives for my research, it took several decades to finally get the set I have.  Most likely the AACA library will wind up with my run of Omnia one day.

Walt

• Like 3

7 hours ago, bryankazmer said:

Interesting claims for the technical advantages of  Panhard's fenders, especially eliminating the need for bumper guards. 

Would you translate for those of us for whom high school French classes are too many decades past now...