Period images to relieve some of the stress

22 minutes ago, Tph479 said:

Yes, he is in excellent shape. He lives near me and was hanging out with me last night when I was working in the garage.  

Tim,  thanks.  I fixed my post above.   I was getting you and Tim Martin mixed up.   You are both Packard guys and both named Tim.   Too much for my feeble mind.

Check out the single self generating headlamp on the car that is getting its wheel washed - WOW. Can anyone identify who made that lamp?

I only have one self generating headlamp in my collection and they are truly a wonder to behold as to how many pieces it took to make and work efficiently.

It was one of the best "finds" I ever had at Hershey in the old Blue Field, and came from a pile of stuff Randy Mason brought down for the Henry Ford Museum that they wanted sold off because it was a lamp made in Europe and they were/are an American museum. Lamp weighs a huge amount and I carried it at least 3/4 of a mile back to the car that day after buying it. Both my arms are about 3 inches longer now....................

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Dave Gelinas (XP-300) said:

16785435406_0fa2d21f09_b.jpg

Dave, do you know the location?

Maybe Quebec?

I count at least 11 Flower Cars

Newest vehicle appears to be the 1961 Pontiacs.

Mob Funeral?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, twin6 said:

Early car wash.

washing.jpg

Very similar to this one which turned up on a facebook page a few days ago. I think the car in the fb pic is a few years old as I reckon it dates from 1902-03 but it has a registration plate, and appears to have had its wheels changed.

20s autos Jack Finney maybe De Dion.jpg

12 hours ago, alsancle said:

Eddy,  don't confuse a 540K with a 327 cubic inch engine and 115/180 HP with the 29-32 Mercedes SS which has more cubic inches than a J (433) and around 225HP.

The Mercedes was successfully raced and an apples to apples race between an SS Mercedes and a Model J Duesenberg would be more competitive than you think.

If you want to go SSJ with the Duesenberg than a SSKL Mercedes is a full blown race car.

In England, we ran J-223 down the M5 against a Mercedes...........I think it was a 770?........... I’ll see if I can find a photo. The Mercedes wanted to pass.........but it just couldn’t no matter how much it tried, and it finally fell back. I think it may have been a 1927 and it was in a speedster configuration. At about 80 mph it sounded like the insides of the engine were trying to come out. I wasn’t knocking.......but the valve and engine noise from the gears made it seem like it was screaming. (Blower noise I assume.)

Yes.......no photo, but it was a 1927 Type S..........120 hp according to what I see posted. Does that make it a 630k? I’m no foreign car expert. The two ladies driving the car were from Germany, and they had an impressive collection of cars. They were not casual tourists.......they were hammering that car hard. Sort of a Thelma and Louise kind of attitude. They also had a 1904 Mercedes that they were driving the wheels off of..........I think that was pre “Benz”. Not too sure. The bigger question.......in a long race, will a Mercedes hold up against a J. Say over five hundred miles? 223 is geared to the moon.......so they probably didn’t have much of a chance. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

This photo was posted earlier; my attention was drawn to the right rear wheel of the left most car.  Maybe it is just me, however the spoke wheel appears to be rather large for the car.  The car is an unidentified roadster and should not carry so heavy a load that it warrants a 12-spoke wheel.  That car does appear to be relatively larger than the coupe at it's right side.

CMC_2662.jpg.0f2ac8331944d53a2e7de5eac99d3f2c.jpg

CMC_2662.jpg.0f2ac8331944d53a2e7de5eac99d3f2c - Copy.jpg

An armored car -- literally a car with armor added on.  It appears to have the general appearance of a 1934 Ford.  The photo suggests a weapons crew of no less than three - two M-1917 Enfield riflemen, a machine gunner, plus a driver.  Normally a manned machine gun, as shown, requires two men, hence there could be five men in the fighting compartment.  The top of the automobile must be open to provide operating room for the water-cooled Browning machine gun.  Identification of the M-1917 rifles is positive based on what is visible protruding from the firing ports.

Police 093.jpg

17.jpg

Body on that center "panel" delivery seems to be a extended length delivery for possibly an upscale store. It's hard to make out but possibly the area over the front (drivers ) seat may be able to open up similar to a town car. Body extends well beyond the rear fender so was built to accommodate more space inside for items to await delivery. "Painted" fenders ( meaning that they are not black) so that is an indication of wanting to appear more "non commercial" but car like.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, 30DodgePanel said:

What type of body is in the middle of the frame? The white one...

It's really interesting, would love to put the magnifier on it. Walt, as usual, is spot on with his observations-those painted fenders really distinguish it. Given the era of the surrounding vehicles is anyone else of the opinion that it's just too fine a chassis of that time to have been a cheap commercial conversion? 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, md murray said:

It's really interesting, would love to put the magnifier on it. Walt, as usual, is spot on with his observations-those painted fenders really distinguish it. Given the era of the surrounding vehicles is anyone else of the opinion that it's just too fine a chassis of that time to have been a cheap commercial conversion? 

I would agree with that.... I believe this same type of vehicle was posted in a parade photo approximately 100 pages ago. If I find it, we may have a better angle. 

It was questioned at the time who the  maker was (my guess would be Packard) but no one responded. Will try and find it again...

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks I recall seeing it as well but although I started this thread ( mess?) don't know how to navigate it well to locate things. Not a Packard, but does have the open area above the drivers seat. Definitely a high end delivery vehicle for "fancy goods" ( as my British friends are fond of stating) or services , would not have delivered office supplies like rubber bands and thumb tacks, more likely upscale butterfly nets or ladies under garments, or Betty Boop's garters.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, keiser31 said:

Maybe a 1937 Delahaye....

1937 Delahaye.jpg

Thanks , beautiful,  that’s the second time I’ve seen one on here and wondered what it was , will know next time 😊

2 hours ago, Walt G said:

Thanks I recall seeing it as well but although I started this thread ( mess?) don't know how to navigate it well to locate things. Not a Packard, but does have the open area above the drivers seat. Definitely a high end delivery vehicle for "fancy goods" ( as my British friends are fond of stating) or services , would not have delivered office supplies like rubber bands and thumb tacks, more likely upscale butterfly nets or ladies under garments, or Betty Boop's garters.

Correct, it was a department store that sold womens clothing, sporting goods and such..

Noticed the wagon and the special delivery both had the same logo B.H.Dyas Co.

B. H. Dyas - Wikipedia

Here's the original link I found it on that shows the vehicle and info of the locations in the Los Angeles CA area 

Water and Power Associates

Hint:

ctrl/F old setters parade and it will take you to the section.

A person could get lost in time on that Water and Power website about the LA/Hollywood  history...

I still have no idea what type of vehicle it is, I thought Packard due to the shape of the grill and hubcaps. Just not enough detail in the photo for a positive I.D. and I couldn't locate any other clues.

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
23 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

Very similar to this one which turned up on a facebook page a few days ago. I think the car in the fb pic is a few years old as I reckon it dates from 1902-03 but it has a registration plate, and appears to have had its wheels changed.

20s autos Jack Finney maybe De Dion.jpg

I have been advised that this one is a 1902 Darracq, presumably sold in the US as an American Darracq. although there was little difference between the American version and the French one.  This one has been modified considerably - chassis lengthened, radiator size increased, and the controls and steering wheel altered or replaced, among other things. I think it is reasonable to assume that the 'car wash car' is the same model, in unmodified from.