Period images to relieve some of the stress

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

J547.    Rollston.   Same Windshield?  Door hinges?

A.J.  I concur, those appear to be in common.  I concentrated more on the unusual molding, beltline and window treatment.  Where the Willoughby attribution arose is from Fred Roe's Duesenberg text, page 152, center photo, the J-#### is unknown.  It appears to have a V-windshield and header of similar style, though photographed angle makes it hard to tell for certain.   Roe noted: "Hollywood actor Frank Morgan was photographed with the car for tire company endorsements."   We will have to find those advertisements to compare.

Duesenber J-547-2527 Rollston Prince of Wales.jpg

'31 Pierce-Arrow sport sedan by Rollston.png

• Like 1
On 3/16/2021 at 5:37 PM, Dave Gelinas (XP-300) said:

14936476690_d2a6b16596_b.jpg

Hi Dave, 

do you happen to know the city? One of the guys in the DBC is trying to log all the Dodge and Graham Brothers dealer locations...

This is the head of a brochure issued by the PMCC of NY (Packard Motor Car Company of New York) in 1937. The building is gone unfortunately, probably in the name of "progress".

Location was just north of Columbus Circle on the west side of Central Park. Huge building.

More weird stuff from my library/collection. I could double the number of pages and images here and have tons of stuff left over, all pre WWII. Most likely that much of it never viewed in the last 70+ years or since it was new. Hope it is holding all of your interest , and I know some of you must be thinking - hummmm Walt is crazier then we are.......

PACKARDNYshowroom001.jpg

• Like 4

Two brothers had converted a Dodge truck into a RV and Arizona Wonderbus Tours was born in 1924. Charles and Warren McArthur convinced their older brother, architect Albert McArthur that this would someday be a tourist destination. With the funding of majority investor William Wrigley the Biltmore became a reality and the Phoenix metropolis would follow.

Photo of the area in the 1920s 

8512549497_3212ee8521_b.jpg

Recent view of the area

See the source image

Some of the early fleet success 

Biltmore-Wonderbus-Tours.jpg

Arizona+Wonder+Tours+Wonderbus.jpg

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Here are a couple of pictures that are about 30 years old. It is Fred Berkley's car being serviced, maybe 1992. The big event of the day was taking it out for a test drive and having lunch at Brueger's, fairly new in our area at the time. We were coerced in ordering bagels with humus spread. A couple of us with Plumbous  knowledge resisted quite vocally.

FBerkley-1.thumb.jpg.16e079f0569f7d4a384993df2f83fe68.jpg

FBerkley-2.thumb.jpg.6e05fc29797f6b1b573b1bc6361f763d.jpg

Today these would be called likely suspects.

001.thumb.JPG.01bcfb9eaf251e0bdf17c9c9c0e12420.JPG

Roy Bertch, fuel, and me, electric on 201RY. Picture by John Utz, long time editor of The Flying Lady, his last article.

002.thumb.JPG.ed9c07d1a18c1eda551bdaa84b45e3bb.JPG

And a German body job from Scotland.

003.thumb.JPG.f189dc5964c80be253d7624de963e465.JPG

20-30 year old stuff.

• Like 4
11 minutes ago, GARY F said:

Dugan's delivered to our house in the 1940s in N.J. when I was a kid.

Dugan's delivered here on western long island ( border of Nassau and Queens Counties) up into at least the mid to late 1950s. Everything from bread to cake etc.

During the same era milk in quarts was another delivery on a regular basis , glass bottles, some with a bulge at the top that held the cream.  The milk was first put in a wood milk box, later upgraded to a metal insulated one, all supplied by the milk company. Houses built in the pre WWII era especially in the 1920s had a trap door near the rear or side entrance door that was where the delivery guy would place the milk into a box inside the house!

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Walt G said:

delivery guy would place the milk into a box inside the house!

Next thing you know some horse race jockey would be sitting right on top of the horse! That spells trouble.

The milk man lived next door to us. Mom and dad would go off to work early and Mr Smith would deliver milk right into the fridge then yell out “Ok boys time to get up for school”. With 4 boys in the house we would go thru a lot of milk. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Walt G said:

Houses built in the pre WWII era especially in the 1920s had a trap door near the rear or side entrance door that was where the delivery guy would place the milk into a box inside the house!

My house still has the milk chute in place.   (built in 1965)

Very common in most homes here until the late 1960's.

Craig

On 3/17/2021 at 1:15 PM, nzcarnerd said:

A couple of early ones from France. I think the older of the two is a circa 1903 Renault. Still working on the chain drive car.

159096356_10225795140967820_8663297636186165971_o.jpg

159040721_10225795147887993_3137158201780087123_o.jpg

The car in the upper photo has been identified as a 1902 Renault Type M 8 hp and the lower one a 1906 CGV 25 hp.

On 3/17/2021 at 1:17 PM, nzcarnerd said:

A couple of photos from Europe. Car identities not yet determined.

20s Mark Christoffersen.jpg

20s mark Christoffersen 2.jpg

The car in the upper photo has been identified as a circa 1930 Fiat 521, and the one in the lower photo a circa 1936 Fiat 518 Ardita. 

• Like 1
On 3/17/2021 at 4:49 PM, Fossil said:

1920s-travel-fashion-style-TRAVEL.jpg?itok=Nm4jo3q1

The lady on the right with the fur sleeves sure looks like Amelia Earhart. 

The exposed cantilever springs and large wire wheels says the car is a Rolls-Royce I think.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Hi Dave, 

do you happen to know the city? One of the guys in the DBC is trying to log all the Dodge and Graham Brothers dealer locations...

120 Main Street -  Malden, MA - Circa: 1931

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

That is a  "fender finder " to let one know if getting close to an obstacle.  I have forgotten the real name for them.

Ben

Fender Guide. Aftermarket item, but some manufacturers offered these as Approved Accessories. Packard had these in their Approved Accessories catalog in the 1930's. I had a pair years ago. The top portion that you see was round, red bakelite with a chrome hexagon center looking like a 1920's 30's hubcap.

Some where even set up to light up. Fun Stuff

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, alsancle said:

Looks like a 180.  Is that a flag staff on the fender?

Packard.jpg

Fender Guide. Aftermarket item, but some manufacturers offered these as Approved Accessories. Packard had these in their Approved Accessories catalog in the 1930's. I had a pair years ago. The top portion that you see was round, red bakelite with a chrome hexagon center looking like a 1920's 30's hubcap.

Some where even set up to light up. Fun Stuff

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Dave Gelinas (XP-300) said:

120 Main Street -  Malden, MA - Circa: 1931

14936476690_d2a6b16596_b.jpg

Surprised no one mentioned the Dodge dealership had a '20's Pierce-Arrow sedan converted into their tow truck.  One would suppose they might have had a Graham Brothers truck for that purpose.   

• Like 1
On 3/16/2021 at 11:49 PM, Fossil said:

1920s-travel-fashion-style-TRAVEL.jpg?itok=Nm4jo3q1

The lady on the right with the fur sleeves sure looks like Amelia Earhart. 

I am thinking this is a rare one. A custom bodied Studebaker? Anyone know for sure? I'm basing that guess on the S on the sidemount hubcap. 

• Like 1

I hope all you guys have been to the pickle factory?    My dad has great Glenn Pray stories.   Most of you should know the story of the school teacher who was able to buy out the Auburn Cord part of the ACD factory from Dallas Winslow in 1960.    I've always liked these and if one of the turbo stick cars fell in my lap I might not be too proud to be seen in it.

GlenPray.jpg