Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

16 minutes ago, 30DodgePanel said:

The-MG-womens-team-practising-for-Le-Mans-at-Brooklands..jpg

9 minutes ago, Walt G said:

I am guessing that the MG's are at the Brooklands race track in Surrey, England. There is a Brooklands Society that has an annual reunion there at the track and it is just wonderful to see the period cars at some speed on the remains of the track. I have attended at least three of the annual reunions although none recently.

Reminds me of my years driving my 1948 MG-TC (XPAG , and #4749), back in NJ, later passed along to a gent and his lady who drove it to upstate NY where he was a college prof.

4 hours ago, George Cole said:

More Bridget.  Same picture, different cars.

Brigitte+Bardot.jpg

3e02a3e66cdd1510954c4e9e9118ce20.jpg

Btw her name is spelt Brigitte.

I think car photoshopped into this one is one of those modern reproduction Jaguar SS100s.

And no comments about the feet of 'ships of the desert'?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Walt G said:

I am guessing that the MG's are at the Brooklands race track in Surrey, England. There is a Brooklands Society that has an annual reunion there at the track and it is just wonderful to see the period cars at some speed on the remains of the track. I have attended at least three of the annual reunions although none recently.

Yes it has to be Brooklands. Britain had no other permanent circuits then.

It looks like a wet day. I visited the circuit and museum on a wet, grotty, day in February 2014.

I guess this is preparation for an endurance event and the other three women in this photo are the relief drivers. I think there may have been tennis shoes in that era but they are wearing 

normal' shoes to drive.

25 minutes ago, 30DodgePanel said:

image.png.229fe02bb019b8f48dd499a56220d595.png

This car has been discussed before - it is a circa 1916 factory custom Packard Twin Six.

1 hour ago, nzcarnerd said:

I think no number on the head lamp tie bar makes it a 75.

Yes. 1929 Model 75. It has the "CHRYSLER" emblems on the tops of the headlamp bezels. The 70 and 77 have a series of ridges.

1929 Chrysler emblem.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LCK81403 said:

Gotten a little off topic with all that French body work?  Perhaps someone knows what is on the rear drive wheel of this Model-T Ford, working to go over Donner Pass.  The front wheel has a standard-looking traction chain around the tire, but the rear tire has something different.  It possibly looks like wire rope / steel cable.  Is the rear tire frayed and coming apart?  The tire looks like it has straw around it but it may be frayed cotton cord.

Ah, those were the days of off-roading.  Steel cable way, block and tackle, what can go wrong?

Ford T 33.png

I have seen quite a few photos taken of this trip over the years, and living in the area where this excursion took place, I can tell you that was common rope wrapped around and around that tire and felloe.

Theoldmotor.com just over a week ago did a piece on that excursion, and included several other photos, some clearly showing the rope. 

Check this out;

https://theoldmotor.com/?p=183606

The picture posted above shows the rope after it has been twisted and cut upon for awhile. And believe me, it didn't take long to chew up a length of rope!

However, properly wound around, rope actually provided better traction under many conditions than a good set of chains did. In those days of no real roads, it was common to use chains on all four wheels. Chains on the front wheels helped with steering and control as much as chains on the rear added drive traction.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, nzcarnerd said:

A '41(?) Stude - maybe one of the bigger models?

Web capture_19-2-2021_175619_www.flickr.com.jpeg

It is either a Commander or a President.

They didn't make a 'B'-body (center-hinged rear doors) in the smaller Champion series.

Craig

6 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

Reminds me of my years driving my 1948 MG-TC (XPAG , and #4749), back in NJ, later passed along to a gent and his lady who drove it to upstate NY where he was a college prof.

These are the famous "Dancing Daughters" in 1935 driving 1934 MG PAs. Real MGs 🙂 Ready for the 24 Hours of Le Mans

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Forgive me if I've posted this 10 times,  but my all time favorite prewar car that Tom Barrett destroyed by painting red.

UsdGy.jpg

Fortunately, all he destroyed was how it looked. It can be repainted. It wasn't too gorgeous painted this way, either. The high contrast two-tone does it no favors.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2021 at 8:04 PM, nzcarnerd said:

The happy couple with their Studebaker - 

Web capture_19-2-2021_202250_www.flickr.com.jpeg

You guys are sick!  To be able to tell what kind of car this is from this photo?  I wouldnt know what it was with a full shot!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

You guys are sick!  To be able to tell what kind of car this is from this photo?  I wouldnt know what it was with a full shot!

And its a 1941 Champion 'Delux-tone' two door sedan to boot!

Craig

• Like 1

A few more for those who gaze upon the images here. Your comments regarding what you see to add to the history is always welcome!

1) 1938 Nash chassis with a fellow from the Navy - factory PR photo is about the increased riding comfort and greater driving safety regarding the shock absorbers.

2)1919 Oshkosh four wheel drive truck pulling a "see ment" mixer. Can anyone give us a clue as to location?

3) 1911 Simplex with NJ license plates.

4) Rolls-Royce Phantom II with 1933 Mass. license plates.

NASH1938chassis001.jpg

OSHKOSHtruck4WD1919001.jpg

SIMPLEX1911NJ001.jpg

RRphantomII1933001.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Walt G said:

4) Rolls-Royce Phantom II with 1933 Mass. license plates.

RRphantomII1933001.jpg

Two or three of these sport sedans were made. Ed (who plays with cars professionally), I'm sure will chime in, as he gets to play with one with a fantastic history.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Walt G said:

RRphantomII1933001.jpg

I believe there were three of these on Phantom II "Special Newmarket" bodied cars, and an additional   1 on Phantom I and 1 on Silver Ghost.  The Silver Ghost is for sale and we have a thread here:

Below is one of the other two Special Newmarkets (distinguishable by the skirted fenders and currently being guarded by Ed).

RR-PII-BrewesterSportsSedan.jpg

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)

4 minutes ago, West Peterson said:

Two or three of these sport sedans were made. Ed (who plays with cars professionally), I'm sure will chime in, as he gets to play with one with a fantastic history.

Look at that.  You beat me by a split second.