Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

6 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

Reminds me of my years driving my 1948 MG-TC (XPAG , and #4749), back in NJ, later passed along to a gent and his lady who drove it to upstate NY where he was a college prof.

These are the famous "Dancing Daughters" in 1935 driving 1934 MG PAs. Real MGs 🙂 Ready for the 24 Hours of Le Mans

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Forgive me if I've posted this 10 times,  but my all time favorite prewar car that Tom Barrett destroyed by painting red.

UsdGy.jpg

Fortunately, all he destroyed was how it looked. It can be repainted. It wasn't too gorgeous painted this way, either. The high contrast two-tone does it no favors.

• Like 1

A few more for those who gaze upon the images here. Your comments regarding what you see to add to the history is always welcome!

1) 1938 Nash chassis with a fellow from the Navy - factory PR photo is about the increased riding comfort and greater driving safety regarding the shock absorbers.

2)1919 Oshkosh four wheel drive truck pulling a "see ment" mixer. Can anyone give us a clue as to location?

3) 1911 Simplex with NJ license plates.

4) Rolls-Royce Phantom II with 1933 Mass. license plates.

NASH1938chassis001.jpg

OSHKOSHtruck4WD1919001.jpg

SIMPLEX1911NJ001.jpg

RRphantomII1933001.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Walt G said:

RRphantomII1933001.jpg

I believe there were three of these on Phantom II "Special Newmarket" bodied cars, and an additional   1 on Phantom I and 1 on Silver Ghost.  The Silver Ghost is for sale and we have a thread here:

Below is one of the other two Special Newmarkets (distinguishable by the skirted fenders and currently being guarded by Ed).

RR-PII-BrewesterSportsSedan.jpg

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)

11 hours ago, TAKerry said:

You guys are sick!  To be able to tell what kind of car this is from this photo?  I wouldnt know what it was with a full shot!

10 hours ago, 8E45E said:

And its a 1941 Champion 'Delux-tone' two door sedan to boot!

Craig

The DUAL TRIM STRIPS,

lack of trailing support separating the wind wing from the driver's window,

overall shape, and no running board, along with rubber shield on leading edge of rear fender,

tend to make this a 1941 Studebaker Champion

• Like 2

16 hours ago, alsancle said:

I believe there were three of these on Phantom II "Special Newmarket" bodied cars, and an additional   1 on Phantom I and 1 on Silver Ghost.  The Silver Ghost is for sale and we have a thread here:

Below is one of the other two Special Newmarkets (distinguishable by the skirted fenders and currently being guarded by Ed).

RR-PII-BrewesterSportsSedan.jpg

On the Duesenberg tour right now..........but yes, I will confess that I am currently the guy who cleans the dirt off the bottom of the car when it’s driven through puddles. We regularly drive it. If a fantastic machine, and I have been lucky enough to help show it at Villa d’Est in Italy. Driving it extensively around the Italian Alps was, quite simply one of the highlights of my working career.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/23/2021 at 12:18 AM, nzcarnerd said:

Does this relieve stress or just cause it?

50s 14 girl.jpg

Causes it of course !

She has the wrong heals on to be doing that. Plus, she's going to ruin the paint on that fence and it'll be sure to create more work for the home owner...

• Haha 1

On 2/24/2021 at 1:34 AM, nzcarnerd said:

I can't take credit for these - just passing them on.

It is a sobering thought all of these photos are over 60 years old....

153053435_10219277594713975_3706472333603994877_o.jpg

If you want to know what the rest of the car looks like.   EDIT:   I should have pointed out it is a 33/34  Mercedes 380 Cabriolet A.  It is supercharged, but no "K" and no pipes.

22652.jpeg

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Makes my knees ache in sympathy for the rider in this photo.  The hill climb shown is not something a Model-T Ford would have been able to accomplish -- unless it was driven backwards.

1927 Voisin Tour de France in Pyrenees.jpg

A couple of photos posted on a local facebook page by the then owner of the 1930 Talbot 90. He sold it 36 years ago so the photos probably date from the early 1980s. They are not 'period' but do show some local scenery, and 'camaraderie' amongst old car owners. The other car is a 1924 Vauxhall 30-98 Wensum tourer. The owner passed away a few years ago but his wife is now in her 90s and the little guy in the back seat has the car now - currently awaiting a rebuild.

The third photo I added to show how the Vauxhall owner drove his car hard. It was taken at a hillclimb in Dunedin in January 1984 - taken by my then girlfriend - later wife -  as I was competing in the event myself. The primary reason for the loss of traction was the 'bovine guano' on the road - 

151602308_10222226013653114_6016397968585271769_o.jpg

151941727_10222226017653214_8062432304246904125_o.jpg

Bethunes Gully Hill Climb 28 Jan 1984 Jack Newell Vauxhall 30 98 (1024x734).jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, LCK81403 said:

1930 Studebaker Light Six, purpose-built van for servicing Pennzoil signs (not for servicing vehicles).

30 Studebaker Light Six 01-03.jpg

30 Studebaker Light Six 02-03.jpg

30 Studebaker Light Six 03-03.jpg

It is not a Light Six. Studebaker hadn't used that model name since 1924. It has the same radiator and headlights as my 1929 - 1928 built - Dictator third series Model GE. In this part of the world this model was sold as a Director but I still consider it a Dictator. That photo is from June 2020 during the 400 mile drive home after we bought it. Why drive it home? Because our two vehicles and trailers were full of the spare parts car and engines and other parts.

IMG_0471 (2) resize.JPG

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, nzcarnerd said:

'bovine guano'

Great description! well stated. That also describes many of the comments here as well when the "experts" who need to be heard about any and all subjects just can't resist stating what they know or think they know - maybe, sort of.... . 🙃

1 minute ago, Walt G said:

Great description! well stated. That also describes many of the comments here as well when the "experts" who need to be heard about any and all subjects just can't resist stating what they know or think they know - maybe, sort of.... . 🙃

Another one from the same spot. The car a new-at-the-time replica of a 1957 F1 Ferrari - 

Bethunes Gully Hill Climb 28 Jan 1984 L Johnson Dino Replica.JPG

• Like 1