Period images to relieve some of the stress

This circa 1916 Fiat was used in several Hollywood movies in the early 1930s. There is some debate as to whether it is a Poughkeepsie built Model 3A or the smaller Model 2B which would have been imported from Turin.

1916 Fiat Tipo 2B

2 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

This appears to have been taken when Wendell Chappelle owned this 1934 Packard Twelve LeBaron Speedster here in Western New York.

Just a used car.......then and now.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, edinmass said:

Just a used car.......then and now.

Quite true, albeit a rather special one.  Funny, I've never found just a used car like that on Honest Marv's used car lot, only clapped-out Rambler Americans and rusty Chevy Biscaynes...

3 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

One of those annoying photos that gets posted on a facebook page with no information.  It doesn't help that it is a very small photo.

I think the car is a Franklin.

May be an image of outdoors

I agree...about a 1909 Franklin.  I wish it was mine!

1 minute ago, ericmac said:

Yeah,  not even a Dietrich. 

Yup......2500 bucks got you a car that didn’t even have any windows...........a Custom Dietrich would see you back up to 12 grand.

47 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

Spiffy !!!

Like the darker body with lighter fenders and trim, Lyon brand metal sidemount spare tire covers, Roscoe mirrors, windwings, and .... !

Its a Pierce.......what’s not to like?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
On 2/16/2021 at 6:51 PM, 58L-Y8 said:

Quite true, albeit a rather special one.  Funny, I've never found just a used car like that on Honest Marv's used car lot, only clapped-out Rambler Americans and rusty Chevy Biscaynes...

Your just not looking in the right places.........several great cars have come out of the woodwork in the last few years. I have been very fortunate in my life to have found some of them, and got them back on the road. My new 1917 White is a great example........I never intended to buy a car last year. I ended up buying it on a hunch.....and haven’t regretted it for a second. Every time I lay my hands on it I am more impressed with it, and more enthusiastic about owning it. 45 years in the hobby......and I’m still having fun. What more can one ask for?

PS- By great.....I mean an American legend. My White is very nest, and historically important, and a bunch of fun.....but it doesn’t make the “great” list. Some day, I will publish  stories that will just blow you away.......

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 4
On 2/16/2021 at 3:35 PM, nzcarnerd said:

Depending on your point of view this may or may not 'relieve some of the stress'. The bike, if you noticed it, is the stillborn Triumph Bandit of 1971 - this one is the high pipe T35SS version - 

May be an image of 1 person and motorcycle

One of the two is a much better ride than the other. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
On 2/16/2021 at 7:51 AM, edinmass said:

136347233_887190998719001_6075736500483569778_o.jpg

I wasn't going to comment on this but I have to say it.

I absolutely love this photo and am dying to know the location... 

Arlington  VA?

The mixture of action and sound must have been exhilarating.

Pedestrians, window shopping, workers in the windows watching the action, early bikes, advertising on a laundry buggy, horses, new strange bodied automobiles, the train tracks mixed with the brick and light snow and the types of people riding shows the scene perfectly... just amazing.

To me, this photographer is a true artist with foresight. 

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Regarding 30 Dodge Panel's question above asking if the picture was of Arlington, Va.,
I grew up in Arlington, presently own property there, and have Arlington recollections dating back to the mid 30's when presumably some or possibly all of these buildings would have still existed.  I don't recognize any of them.  "Childs" (If I am interpreting it right) was a restaurant or cafeteria in Baltimore I believe.  West End Laundry doesn't ring a bell, nor was any Arlington area that I know of referred to as "West End".  It is divided into north and south.  I'm not able to make out the far right building's sign.
There were no multi story buildings as in the background that I can recall in pre WWII days.  Now Arlington has gone high rise with bustling commercial corridors and Amazon is locating its second headquarters in South Arlington where there eventually will be 25,000 employees working there.

Edited by Dave Henderson (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1
54 minutes ago, 30DodgePanel said:

I wasn't going to comment on this but I have to say it.

I absolutely love this photo and am dying to know the location... 

Arlington  VA?

The mixture of action and sound must have been exhilarating.

Pedestrians, window shopping, workers in the windows watching the action, early bikes, advertising on a laundry buggy, horses, new strange bodied automobiles, the train tracks mixed with the brick and light snow and the types of people riding shows the scene perfectly... just amazing.

To me, this photographer is a true artist with foresight. 

The gents on the bicycles appear are wearing uniforms that might be for police. And the equestrians are wearing what look like military uniforms. A few people watching the procession but not enough for a holiday parade. I wonder if that was the equivalent of a modern VIP motorcade? If so, who were the people in the motor vehicles?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, ply33 said:

The gents on the bicycles appear are wearing uniforms that might be for police. And the equestrians are wearing what look like military uniforms. A few people watching the procession but not enough for a holiday parade. I wonder if that was the equivalent of a modern VIP motorcade? If so, who were the people in the motor vehicles?

Looks like it was DC 

More about it on Shorpy:

Childs Restaurant: 1918 | Shorpy Old Photos | Photo Sharing

3 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

937a833559268e1e66eaa21b39d4dc83.jpg

Having 'brain fade' at the moment but I am sure I posted this one quite recently. Taken in New Zealand circa 1903. I forget the make of the car but its bones have survived and are being resurrected.

• Like 1