Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

1 minute ago, edinmass said:

Can’t help myself breakfast this morning 83°!

We only wish for that here at this time of the year!!

Many in Canada are saying to hell with the Covid restrictions and vacationing at warmer resorts right now!

Craig

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

I'm cross posting this from the Stearns Knight thread.   Pictured is a 1929 Stearns Knight H8-90 with what looks like a Rollston body in Central Park.   Pictured is the 1929 NY Salon at the Commodore Hotel.   Do you think they are the same car (see arrow)?   And do you agree the body is Rollston?

1929NewYorkAutoShow-Commodore-Hotel-Stearns-RollstonAnnotation.jpg

1929 Stearns-Knight H-8-90 Sedan Body perhaps by Rollston. Photo in Central Park by John Adams Davis or Nathan Lazarnick.jpg

Yes, I would say the same car and most likely both photos taken at the same general time with the town car going into the Commodore Hotel after the Central Park photo was taken by John Adams Davis or after the salon. Most likely before. The Central Park location was only about 10 minutes north of the Hotel Commodore.  I went to look to find the Central Park location on a cross street that ran through the park about 10 years ago and even then the location had over grown so much in 70+ years that it was hard to tell it was the exact spot. Need to check to see what other cars were at the Salon on that stand, most cars were displayed on the coach builders stand not by car make as they rarely if ever had their own exhibit space.   Another story to record who, what and where to make sense of it all , if I were still doing my Coachworklines column .

Edited by Walt G
made statement a bit less wordy (see edit history)
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

Can’t help myself, breakfast this morning 83°! Taken from the backseat of a V-16 Sport Phaeton. The boss was the chauffeur.  😎

9F7250F5-561F-40FD-B1F2-CE89A2E37CCF.jpeg

Who bought breakfast - usually the chauffeur does not have to do that!  
dave s 

2 hours ago, Walt G said:

"Another story to record who, what and where to make sense of it all , if I were still doing my Coachworklines column ."

Walt. Have you considered doing a Coachwork Lines column here?  I believe there are many of us who would greatly appreciate such an article on a periodic basis, including me.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Walt. Have you considered doing a Coachwork Lines column here?  I believe there are many of us who would greatly appreciate such an article on a periodic basis, including me.

I love the forums ( which is obvious I spend enough time here!) but don't think it is the place for an article or story, would take up to much space , I am already driving the moderators crazy probably with the thread on the period photographs. A print magazine is the place for a story so one can sit back and not have to stare at a screen.  I know I feel that way , but that may be considered "old school" but that is what I am! Our Antique Automobile magazine is absolutely great but as I was told last year , trying to find even 4 pages for a story is next to impossible so nothing will be going there. It is what it is. I have great respect for Editor's of publications, and the Publications committees of various clubs, and commercial periodicals , I have been in that position, they make the call .  I can respect that . Thanks for your comment, most appreciated.

Walt

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SC38DLS said:

Who bought breakfast - usually the chauffeur does not have to do that!  
dave s 

The Boss bought......tastes better that way! 😎

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Walt G said:

Yes, I would say the same car and most likely both photos taken at the same general time with the town car going into the Commodore Hotel after the Central Park photo was taken by John Adams Davis or after the salon. Most likely before. The Central Park location was only about 10 minutes north of the Hotel Commodore.  I went to look to find the Central Park location on a cross street that ran through the park about 10 years ago and even then the location had over grown so much in 70+ years that it was hard to tell it was the exact spot. Need to check to see what other cars were at the Salon on that stand, most cars were displayed on the coach builders stand not by car make as they rarely if ever had their own exhibit space.   Another story to record who, what and where to make sense of it all , if I were still doing my Coachworklines column .

Thanks Walt.  Would you mind responding over in the Stearns Knight thread?   That is where I will be looking when I forget what we decided.

Here are a few more I found while looking for something else.

the street scene is in Nantucket, Rhode Island on Main Street, penciled on the back it says it shows a bank that did not close during the Depression, my guess it was taken in 1938. I was given the photo in 1972.

Bugatti is coming out of storage in the late 1940s still covered in dust.

Because it is Winter I thought the factory photo of the Studebaker in the snow would be appropriate it dates from February 14, 1938and notes the car is a State Commander.the sleigh is a Studebaker as well! and seated next to the driver of the sleigh was Horace V. Kimble , oldest active Studebaker employee at that time who had 56 years of continuous employment at Studebaker. He was Supervisor of By Products division .

NANTUCKET1937001.jpg

BugattiBarn001.jpg

Stude1938Winter001.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, edinmass said:

A75EFE53-395A-4468-9228-2583B8765C28.png

If only Humphrey Bogart was still around. He might say:

"Gee Ed, you hung around with some swell dames in your youth!"

I have no clue what the date, occasion, or what great vehicle that is. I'll take a guess it is a film still from 1938, about 37 minutes before you couldn't import the finer motorcars from France and Germany here anymore. Is it a Mercedes 540K Sindelfingen?

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jeff_a said:

I have no clue what the date, occasion, or what great vehicle that is. I'll take a guess it is a film still from 1938, about 37 minutes before you couldn't import the finer motorcars from France and Germany here anymore. Is it a Mercedes 540K Sindelfingen?

Cant remember if it’s a Delage or a Delahaye.........but it’s one of the two.....at a concours in France before the war.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Walt.....the Nantucket photo is on Main Street.......in front of a home that’s part of “the three bricks”. I believe it’s “East Brick”. I broke down in front of it in 1991 (hard to believe it’s thirty years ago!) with my 1931 Cadillac 355 Sport Coupe. The cause? The cobble stones rattled the car so hard, the needle and seat fell out of the carb body and ended up in the float bowl. I was so concerned about damaging the carburetor I didn’t tighten it enough. Burned the hell out of my fingers pulling it apart while hot. I only took my cars over few more times to the island before I determined that the Vineyard had better roads and more to see. The daffodil festival every year is something to see.....all the old cars on the island attend. Everything from a VW bug to a Duesenberg and some very strange vehicles. I enjoyed the photo! Thanks, Ed.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Walt:  Nantucket is part of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, not of those non-conformists in Rhode Island.  I can say that since my non-conformist 10th great grandmother was a founder of Portsmouth, RI in 1638 - and she was chased out of there, too, after getting kicked out of Boston.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Gary for the correction, should have known that 🙄, but have a bit of brain fade after looking through to many period photographs today ( and of course not finding the one I want and need)

Walt

• Like 1

Gary......Massachusetts got rid of all the “riffraff”  back in 1820..................when we cut lose the Northern Territory and someone renamed it Maine. Getting tossed out of the “Massachusetts Bay Colony” was rather easy back then(1636).......my family had already been in Quebec for thirty years when you 10th great grandmother left for the “plantation “...........we ended up over here by avoiding a jail sentence for refusing to fight in the French Army. For the next two hundred and fifty years we accomplished nothing but chopping down trees and fishing the outer banks.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, nzcarnerd said:

Straying from the date and subject a little but who can resist a smile? The car is a mid 1950s Austin Cambridge.

50s 12 camper.jpg

Imagine if she was lined up with the B-pillar and the driver signaled to make a right-hand turn!!  

Kitchy-kitchy-koooooo!

Craig

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, nzcarnerd said:

I was intrigued by this one which showed up in a random selection of photos on a facebook page. I am fairly sure the location is New Zealand, in the 1930s.

The road roller does not appear to have an engine. Maybe it is driven by compressed air?

50s 14 roller.jpg

This is a Barford & Perkins, and they usually had some sort of IC engine.

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Barford_and_Perkins

Edited by Craig Gillingham (see edit history)

The three uniformed men are Italian.  The two men at left have an ammunition bandoleers around their chests, and it looks like it is for the 6.35mm Carcano rifle.  I don't see a rifle.

1610349120_50s15saurerandpackard.thumb.jpg.adff80ac7ca7c5f342986b335e2c5511.jpg

Here is a early 1970s photo of some pre war car parts. Location is the loft area above the Long Island Automotive Museum in Southampton, NY.

It housed thousands of parts, lamps etc . the lamps you see here weren't half of them , more were on 4 layers of shelves.  Sorry for the poor quality, light was not great up there.

Austin Clark would have "Iron Range Days" where he would call people and tell them they were invited out to look for parts, you could then make a pile and after lunch at John Ducks restaurant when we got back you could $ettle up and pay what you owed for what you picked out. Austin did not sell out wholesale, and if you had to much of one thing he would tell you what you could buy and the rest would be there for the next Iron Range Day. There were also large barn like buildings at the rear of the museum and in one the Truck Barn, were all the wheels, rims and a wall full of small box like shelves that had generators, carburetors, starters etc. That barn was also home to racoon families and they did not like the intrusion of car guys looking for old stuff. Those were happy  days ....................

LIAutoMuseumLOFT1972001.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 1/31/2021 at 7:52 PM, jeff_a said:

It is a Delahaye 135.  Probably a Chapron body.

• Like 1