Period images to relieve some of the stress

Rod Blood scooped up the scraps of a Packard at that fire........he had it for years and sometime after he died, someone built the car from what was left..........not sure if it was this car, or the earlier one.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, edinmass said:

Not so sad.........this was out on a road test when the place burned. The only 29 Auto Show car to survive that I know of. 

7825EF8F-B17D-4074-8D39-97C5272F56F9.jpeg

it was at the salon which was at the Biltmore not in the tent.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, 1937hd45 said:

Maybe not so exotic, but it got a lot of people behind the wheel. Bob 

170714.jpg

Doesn't have to be exotic! I love the fact that all the people are crammed into the car! also the signs by the rear of the car too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, alsancle said:

it was at the salon which was at the Biltmore not in the tent.

In LA I didn’t know they used the Biltmore. 👍

• Thanks 1
13 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

Was this photo taken before or after the fire?

I have known for a long time that a bunch of historically significant cars were displayed at that show, and generally understood they were lost. I did not know of any being restored or salvaged except for a maybe a 1908ish Packard roadster (good to hear about that again). Barney Oldfield's Golden Submarine was eventually recreated after the original on display was destroyed.

Before the fire.  DPL writeup says "The driver is Russell Huff, head of Packard experimental branch. The passenger is Milton Tibbetts, Packard's collector/protector of patents. This car, license plate 30122 NY, was repurchased from the owner for use in testimony in a 1910 lawsuit."

• Like 1
13 hours ago, edinmass said:

Rod Blood scooped up the scraps of a Packard at that fire........he had it for years and sometime after he died, someone built the car from what was left..........not sure if it was this car, or the earlier one.

Different car.  But they have in common that they were both restored by the late Terry Martin.

• Like 2
On 1/13/2021 at 6:31 PM, edinmass said:

BF3CDFE8-4D9A-49A1-A2FD-CF9F1514ABA2.png

Here is the same picture today in the link below. 

I believe the picture is of the Moulin Rouge in Paris in the background.

https://www.google.com/maps/@48.8831919,2.3329219,3a,75y,343.9h,101.57t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sxzyPntS3xM1oknT1xjB2fA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Tph479 said:

Are the diamonds real on the dash and gear shift handle?

F81C037D-FD08-4AC0-8D07-00ACB0E3907B.png

Yes. 1931 Pierce Arrow Series 42 Dual Cowl Phaeton in brilliant red. Showed at the Kansas City Auto Show, then shipped off to a Maharaja in India, along with a Series 41 Touring in the same color. The Series 41 still survives. The car above is long gone. It also had diamonds on the hubcaps..

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, edinmass said:

Yes. 1931 Pierce Arrow Series 42 Dual Cowl Phaeton in brilliant red. Showed at the Kansas City Auto Show, then shipped off to a Maharaja in India, along with a Series 41 Touring in the same color. The Series 41 still survives. The car above is long gone. It also had diamonds on the hubcaps..

What would the original price of the diamond studded Pierce have been? Are we talking jewelry grade diamonds or industrial use grade? That car must have been a show stopper in the depression. Do any show pictures survive? Hard to believe a car like that is long lost. Thanks for the info.

3 hours ago, Tph479 said:

What would the original price of the diamond studded Pierce have been? Are we talking jewelry grade diamonds or industrial use grade? That car must have been a show stopper in the depression. Do any show pictures survive? Hard to believe a car like that is long lost. Thanks for the info.

Jewlery grade. The diamonds cost 100k. There are photos of it surrounded by armed guards. I doubt the diamonds stayed on it long.

• Haha 1

One method to straighten out the dents in automobile sheet metal, using an M-3 light tank.  Years later, in the 1980s, it was still being done at the Warren Tank Plant in Detroit, using M-60 tanks and cars seized by the Feds.

Is that a derelict Peerless?

19956724_639517719588039_3186714749885579318_o.jpg