Period images to relieve some of the stress

Not  sure as to why pages are removed or moved as I do not go back often enough to notice. I try to focus on what is currently being posted. The moderators I am sure are doing their very best to cope with this huge thread that developed well beyond anything I expected when I started it in March. I will let one of them answer your question if possible when they can. I am not a computer guru by any way , shape or means - just am totally obsessed with automotive ( yes that includes trucks) history and the teacher in me just likes to share what I have collected for over 50 years. My only personal request to all of you who are looking at this and do not belong to AACA is to join NOW for 2021. Also strongly consider joining the Society of Automotive Historians . Thank you , and before I forget to do so I WANT TO WISH A HAPPY AND SAFE HOLIDAYS TO ALL OF YOU.

Walt

• Like 4

Ok.....this doesn’t actually fall under the subject heading........but it’s too good not to post. I shall refrain from further comment.......it will only cause Peter to modify my post. An early photo of a modified chassis.......and the car appears to be a hot rod also. 😇

That young lady sure has a BIG personality!🤭

26687DA1-7FF0-4E6F-84D4-4CA5F5E010C9.png

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, edinmass said:

Ok.....this doesn’t actually fall under the subject heading........but it’s too good not to post. I shall refrain from further comment.......it will only cause Peter to modify my post. An early photo of a modified chassis.......and the car appears to be a hot rod also. 😇

Look at those V-16 flippers!

• Like 1

What is the story on this photo?  The woman appears to be sitting on a motorcycle sidecar, but there appears to be a steering wheel at her left arm.  Is this a cycle-car?  It appears to have a boat tail as well.

76644640_2676219645770548_1947131901907042304_o.thumb.jpg.e05b0a26d5fdb4ec69bc1921063a6f25.jpg

7 hours ago, edinmass said:

Both wheels have drums..........that’s no side car. Windshield indicates British built product. Possibly a Sunbeam?

I agree.  Even if it was a sidecar, the wheel would be on the other side.  This is definitely England and the sidecar would be on the left side of the motorcycle.  Nor is it a cycle car.  No cycle car would have had wheels or brakes that big.  It is a car intended for use on the Brooklands race track.  The "windshield" is an instant clue.  There appears to be a handbrake lever partially hidden by her skirt just above the frame.  As to what it is, there are a lot of possibilities.  I am going to go out on a limb (maybe way out) and call it an ERA.  There was a strong female presence at Brooklands, so whoever she is, this woman was not unusual.

One more thing.  What the heck is she knitting?😁

• Like 2
On 12/11/2020 at 10:39 PM, edinmass said:

26687DA1-7FF0-4E6F-84D4-4CA5F5E010C9.png

I know the car and all, but someone lacks focus !

Sidenote: Let's talk about BUT and THOUGH from a legal perspective - Though is the softer and but is for impact.  

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
18 hours ago, LCK81403 said:

What is the story on this photo?  The woman appears to be sitting on a motorcycle sidecar, but there appears to be a steering wheel at her left arm.  Is this a cycle-car?  It appears to have a boat tail as well.

76644640_2676219645770548_1947131901907042304_o.thumb.jpg.e05b0a26d5fdb4ec69bc1921063a6f25.jpg

There is a story - cannot remember her name, but that is her car and she was somewhat well known - may take an inquiry to www.prewarcar.com

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
5 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

There is a story - cannot remember her name, but that is her car and she was somewhat well known - may take an inquiry to www.prewarcar.com

Since wool is naturally fire resistant many drivers in those days wore wool sweaters for protection. I the 1920's AAA required race car drivers to wear white overalls so the emergency crews could spot blood quickly.

Bob  

• Like 2
On 12/12/2020 at 8:33 AM, 1937hd45 said:

It's been posted before, still makes me smile. Bob 

76644640_2676219645770548_1947131901907042304_o.jpg

This is Irish born Fay Taylour, aka "Flying Fay", and she is wearing her normal racing garb which always included a tweed skirt, so she is ready to go once the mechanic finishes his work!

• Like 8
6 hours ago, dictator27 said:

This is Irish born Fay Taylour, aka "Flying Fay", and she is wearing her normal racing garb which always included a tweed skirt, so she is ready to go once the mechanic finishes his work!

20 minutes ago, wayne sheldon said:

Thank you dictator27. Always nice to get the real names and background.

I'll second that thank you.

Fay Taylour sounds like a very unique person based on the Wikipedia article on her. I liked this: “Taylour said, that the day she met a man who was more difficult to handle than a racing car, she would probably give up racing. She remained unmarried.”

On 12/16/2020 at 6:49 PM, John_Mereness said:

I know the car and all, but someone lacks focus !

Sidenote: Let's talk about BUT and THOUGH from a legal perspective - Though is the softer and but is for impact.  

I am not a British car expert but was wondering about makes like Riley, Ballard, ERA, Rally, Talbot and so on. Methinks John knows.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Peter Gariepy said:

And for something a little different...

I clicked 'like,' not because I liked what I saw, but that the cars' looked so sad in that condition.  Would they have fixed them, or sent them to a scrap yard?