Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

1 hour ago, wayne sheldon said:

How about something more in line with the Classic era?

The source for this one a few years back speculated that it was a 1928LaSalle. Wheelbase looks a bit short, but?

mayb1928LSalle.jpg

Looks like a 1928 LaSalle........probably made as a test platform for one of the Fisher Brothers.

• Like 1

Ed, when I was in Fay Butler's shop in Wheelwright, MA a few years ago, he had a cast-body P-A sitting there.  Fay claimed he was going to finish the car, though I don't think there has been any progress for a long time.

He has been working on it on and off for years......he is reasonably close now. it's a 1910 or so, 66 HP. Portions are origional factory body.....I think he has made new doors. The rear tub is all factory, as is the cowl.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This Pierce-Arrow has interesting wheels.  The six-spoke wheels appear to be the same as on the two cars in the second photos.  The second photo was posted on this thread months ago; I don't remember if the cars were type identified.  The six-spoke wheels in the photos appear to be very similar to an eight-spoke version made by Van Wheels, of Oneida, New York.  Are those six-spoke wheels made by Van Wheels also?

Pierce-Arrow cast aluminum body.jpg

Wheels.jpg

Van Wheel June 29 1922 pg 81 The Automobile.JPG

Wayne, regarding your photo of the possible Abbott-Detroit.  The second photo attached was identified as a 1920 Abbott-Detroit, and it was posted on this thread perhaps several pages past.

20 Abbott Detroit possible.jpg

20 Abbott-Detroit.jpg

• Like 2

I’m stressed out.......so I am posting this historic photo, to relieve some stress...........there may be a car in the photo. I’m not sure........some things never go out of style.........chassis is a bit more modern than we usually see........

B3E4B9F6-E630-462B-BC2D-12A5337A7198.png

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

So much good stuff!

LCK81403, I had forgotten that one? So many wonderful photos in this thread. A lot of similarities there. 

A good number of British and European cars of the 1910s and 1920s had cast or pressed metal spoke wheels. In the world history of wheels, the idea was more attractive there at the time than it was in America because Europe and England had limited resources of wood that was both hard enough and resilient enough to be well suited for wheel spoke use. Steel wire spoke and steel disc wheels were much more common over there than they were over here in those decades, even on the cheaper cars. North America had many thousands of acres of indigenous Hickory which was very well suited for wheel use. It is interesting to note (at least to me?) that many of Briton's and European's finest and most expensive automobiles used wooden spoke wheels in those years. Many people believed that the wooden wheels with their innate flexibility gave a better ride on the rough (albeit better then there than here) roads of the day. So on cars where cost was not an object, proper woods were often either acquired from limited local supplies, or imported.

Ed M, Thank you for the comment on the LaSalle.

The strength of the Pierce Arrow cast aluminum body is incredible. A good friend almost twenty years ago was transporting an about 1918 Pierce Arrow inside a three axle enclosed trailer when the unthinkable happened. Something triggered one tire to blow out, which was followed by the other two axles on that side also blowing out! The trailer flipped at speed onto its side. My work on the road had me in his neighborhood just a few days later so I stopped by his shop. The Pierce Arrow was a good survivor preservation car with original paint and etc. It helped that the car was tied down inside the trailer very well. But I was still amazed to see that other than a broken windshield frame, and some minor damage to the top sockets, the car appeared undamaged.

Saddened to hear you are stressed out. Always hoping it is nothing too serious.

1937hd45.......the wheels we see occasionally on Pierce Arrow cars from 1916-1920. Best guess, the owners probably had or were involved in trucks or trucking..........so they installed cast wheels. They came back into fashion in 1931 & 1932...........photo to follow. This is one of five 1931 Series 42 Dual Cowl Pierce’s known. One of the five has been in my family for 60 years.........these are Budd stainless steel wheels.

F147991D-4D2D-4E1F-9704-AA7119B22965.png

• Like 9

2 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

So much good stuff!

LCK81403, I had forgotten that one? So many wonderful photos in this thread. A lot of similarities there. 

A good number of British and European cars of the 1910s and 1920s had cast or pressed metal spoke wheels. In the world history of wheels, the idea was more attractive there at the time than it was in America because Europe and England had limited resources of wood that was both hard enough and resilient enough to be well suited for wheel spoke use. Steel wire spoke and steel disc wheels were much more common over there than they were over here in those decades, even on the cheaper cars. North America had many thousands of acres of indigenous Hickory which was very well suited for wheel use. It is interesting to note (at least to me?) that many of Briton's and European's finest and most expensive automobiles used wooden spoke wheels in those years. Many people believed that the wooden wheels with their innate flexibility gave a better ride on the rough (albeit better then there than here) roads of the day. So on cars where cost was not an object, proper woods were often either acquired from limited local supplies, or imported.

The strength of the Pierce Arrow cast aluminum body is incredible. A good friend almost twenty years ago was transporting an about 1918 Pierce Arrow inside a three axle enclosed trailer when the unthinkable happened. Something triggered one tire to blow out, which was followed by the other two axles on that side also blowing out! The trailer flipped at speed onto its side. My work on the road had me in his neighborhood just a few days later so I stopped by his shop. The Pierce Arrow was a good survivor preservation car with original paint and etc. It helped that the car was tied down inside the trailer very well. But I was still amazed to see that other than a broken windshield frame, and some minor damage to the top sockets, the car appeared undamaged.

Those pressed steel wheels are generally referred to as Sankeys, after one of the makes of them. I guess in much the same way as vacuum cleaners are often referred to as Hoovers - as in "I am doing the Hoovering" etc.

See the source image

9 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

^^^^^^^^^^^ Ed, Please tell us about the wheels, I know that style was popular on English cars starting as far back as 1912 on AC's. Two pieces of stamped steel spokes welded up into a rim. Yes, this little delivery car is the grandfather of the AC/Cobra. Bob 

OIP (1).jpg

AC is derived from the original make name Auto Carrier.

Third series Packard Twin Six roadster with those aftermarket type wheels. This roadster model first made an appearance in the 1920 model year and was the first production body Packard with the 2 seat rumble seat. 424 cubic inch 12 cylinder engine, 3 speed transmission, 136 inch wheel base impractical rocket ship for the era.

3075CA5C-A81D-4C16-82F1-1D6C6193EFC0.png

• Like 4

13 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

So much good stuff!

This 1913 Nazzaro is on Sankey type wheels with 895 x 135 beaded edge tyres. By coincidence the wheels from this car were in at a local tyre shop last week having new  - new as in the owner had had them for a few years - tyres fitted.   

13 NAZARO VCC Cant 0820 ccap.jpg

• Like 1

Wow !  -- this is a great looking Packard roadster, and the wheels are simply terrific.  Sitting here speculating how wheels like that would look on my '29 Model-A Ford.  Anyone know where solid spoke wheels can be purchased?  The wire wheels on my '29 are so ordinary.

20 Packard 3rd Series special wheels.png

• Like 2

These are a couple of publicity photos for an electric utility company. The utility is Rockland Light and Power Co. The photos were taken in Rockland County, NY, just north of New York City. Today, following a couple of corporate mergers over many decades, this company is part of ConEd; the New York metropolitan area utility giant.

The first photo shows a portion of the company’s service fleet circa 1933. The sign on the truck which has become faded over the years reads, “AT YOUR SERVICE NIGHT AND DAY   MEMBER OF THE N.R.A.”. ( National Recovery Administration) The signs on the cars are (L to R)  R, L, &, P, CO.

The second photo is a later photo of one of the company’s service trucks, obviously taken during the holiday season, promoting the use of Christmas lights. Now seemed like the perfect season to post the second one. My Christmas card to the forum!

Bob,

D0EC5148-51CF-4D15-A1CC-F2CCB673FD09.jpeg

382EE67B-C966-4F89-AA8C-F7EDE73D6E3F.jpeg

Edited by Bob Barrett (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Lots of people on long island will be very very enthused to see this Fulton truck photo here on long island! WOW. There is a restored Fulton truck in the Cradle of Aviation Museum in Garden City, NY on display that was donated by my friend Al Velocci who had it restored. Way cool !!!!!! Most interesting to read that the trucks in the photo were on their way to India! Very important photo for us to see.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not  sure as to why pages are removed or moved as I do not go back often enough to notice. I try to focus on what is currently being posted. The moderators I am sure are doing their very best to cope with this huge thread that developed well beyond anything I expected when I started it in March. I will let one of them answer your question if possible when they can. I am not a computer guru by any way , shape or means - just am totally obsessed with automotive ( yes that includes trucks) history and the teacher in me just likes to share what I have collected for over 50 years. My only personal request to all of you who are looking at this and do not belong to AACA is to join NOW for 2021. Also strongly consider joining the Society of Automotive Historians . Thank you , and before I forget to do so I WANT TO WISH A HAPPY AND SAFE HOLIDAYS TO ALL OF YOU.

Walt

• Like 4

Ok.....this doesn’t actually fall under the subject heading........but it’s too good not to post. I shall refrain from further comment.......it will only cause Peter to modify my post. An early photo of a modified chassis.......and the car appears to be a hot rod also. 😇

That young lady sure has a BIG personality!🤭

26687DA1-7FF0-4E6F-84D4-4CA5F5E010C9.png

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

Ok.....this doesn’t actually fall under the subject heading........but it’s too good not to post. I shall refrain from further comment.......it will only cause Peter to modify my post. An early photo of a modified chassis.......and the car appears to be a hot rod also. 😇

That young lady sure has a BIG personality!🤭

Look at those V-16 flippers!

• Like 1

What is the story on this photo?  The woman appears to be sitting on a motorcycle sidecar, but there appears to be a steering wheel at her left arm.  Is this a cycle-car?  It appears to have a boat tail as well.

76644640_2676219645770548_1947131901907042304_o.thumb.jpg.e05b0a26d5fdb4ec69bc1921063a6f25.jpg