Period images to relieve some of the stress

53 minutes ago, twin6 said:

Early 20's custom Packard owned by Jesse Lasky in California.  Wish I knew more.

Jesse Lasky.jpg

Reminds me of their Indianapolis Racing Cars - the most famous loosing cars in history (I am not sure they ever won a thing with them)

On 8/5/2020 at 10:51 AM, John_Mereness said:

Speedwell ?  They supposedly used some sort of rotary tubing within tubing design for valves = LOW SURVIVAL RATE

Top car is a 1911 or 1912 bottom is 1910 or earlier both 50 hp 4 cylinder 1913 they tried  a rotary valve 6 did not work in real world went back to a poppet valve setup.  Not a tubing in tubing, a solid shaft with slots machined in it.

22 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

Reminds me of their Indianapolis Racing Cars - the most famous loosing cars in history (I am not sure they ever won a thing with them)

Remember that the Packard Grey Wolf in January 1904 set three world speed records for one kilometer, one mile, and five miles. Guess these don;t count since they were not actual races.

• Like 1
On 8/5/2020 at 2:07 PM, John_Mereness said:

Renault

391087_original-1.jpg.6693fe1ae19b606806e133d369c4d9d5.jpg

This is the 40 or 45HP Reinastella - other models of lesser engine capacity and shorter wheelbase were Monastella, Vivastella , Nervastella

A very famous photo Of "Fatty" Arbuckle. The car is said to be a Pierce Arrow, a total custom built car just for the large actor. He is sitting there, with a dejected look because an actress he had an affair with had just died (shortly after they were together). Soon after this, he was arrested, briefly jailed, and then spent a couple years in and out of court being charged and tried for her death. He was eventually absolved of any (legal) wrongdoing.

The notoriety hurt his career, and he did a lot of work under pseudonyms for several years. Including William B. Goodrich (Will B Good)

In spite of his size, he was extremely light on his feet, and somewhat athletic. However, he died a few years later in a large part due to his size.

2 hours ago, jukejunkie1015 said:

Roscoe Fatty Arbuckle

Fatty .jpg

I met Minta Durfee Arbuckle at a screening of some Fatty Arbuckle films in the early '70s. She had spent many of her later years promoting Roscoe Arbuckle and his place in film history. She was quite charming even at over 80 years of age. (By the way, he hated the nickname "Fatty".) She also said that he was quite wonderful on a dance floor!

Edited by wayne sheldon
Additional thought. (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The Flying Wombat looks like the coachwork was done by an aircraft fabrication shop............who was the designer.......besides the owner......and who built it?

26CC855E-7547-42D1-8CD1-65F693EC512E.png

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

Read all you need to know about Wombats including their feces! They are not predisposed to flying instead are often roadkill on rural Australian roads and, because of the size of a larger one, an impact with one can sustain a fair amount of damage to the colliding vehicle.

41 minutes ago, twin6 said:

1940.jpg

This really is a great photo - notice the car has some customizing from the norm - no mascot, painted grill shutters, exhaust through the hood sides whether faux or real, and no addition of or deletion of wheel trim rings.   

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

This really is a great photo - notice the car has some customizing from the norm - no mascot, painted grill shutters, exhaust through the hood sides whether faux or real, and no addition of or deletion of wheel trim rings.   

There is a full story of that picture floating around somewhere.  On the forum?  I can't remember.

On 8/3/2020 at 9:52 AM, Walt G said:

Chrysler had a plant in Kew near London that made cars as well.

Ah yes, the "exported for assembly"  parts found their way to these types of plants..  

Many American manufacturers were able to beat the UK import restrictions at the time by assembling shipped, pre-made parts from the USA. Kew used a blend of US and British parts according to Thomas McPherson - The Dodge Story. 

I haven't found any in action photos of the Chrysler assembly plant yet but here are a couple of the Chevy assembly plant photos at the Colindale's plant..

chev2.jpg

chev.jpg

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

Rare photo of a early Graham  Brothers bus I've never seen before in years of research. 
Can anyone read the location of the coachbuilder ?

Is it referring  to Knebworth Hertfordshire?

sw0195.jpg

I have never heard of any other place called Knebworth except the one in England, and as well that Herts. is an abbreviation for the name Hertsfordshire. The steering wheel location to me seems to be on the right side of the chassis as well. If it were on the left you would see more of the wheel in the photo through the windshield ( aka windscreen).

• Like 1

Meanwhile, above all the traffic at street level ....

Actual photo, not photoshop.

Bosun chairs have been around for a while but how the gent got on top of that steeple is a mystery to me...

Skyscraper Painters.jpg

4 hours ago, alsancle said:

There is a full story of that picture floating around somewhere.  On the forum?  I can't remember.

I hesitated to post what I found with the photo, which misidentified the car as a 1940 Buick Special.  The young lady was identified as Gloria Lupton.

3 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

Chrome was becoming harder to get by 1940.  The government placed it on the "endangered-species-list" due to war materials production.  After '41 when almost all automobile production stopped.   Auto accessories like spotlight and fog lights, that were normally chrome plated, were now only painted.😭

Capt. Harley😉

13 minutes ago, Captain Harley said:

Chrome was becoming harder to get by 1940.  The government placed it on the "endangered-species-list" due to war materials production.  After '41 when almost all automobile production stopped.   Auto accessories like spotlight and fog lights, that were normally chrome plated, were now only painted.😭

Capt. Harley😉

the Darrin Victoria was Packards most expensive semi-production car.  They all left the factory full of chrome unless a buyer specified otherwise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

5af253558dceffa6d5c9b19436055bce.jpg

The very image of Edwardian elegance, madame 'taking the air' with the landaulette folded down.  The chauffeur's gaze fixed on the road, not to be noticed.

• gwells changed the title to Period images to relieve some of the stress