Period images to relieve some of the stress

4 hours ago, edinmass said:

Budweiser Bevo Boat, built on a 1931 Pierce Arrow Series 41 chassis. ...but was placed on a V-12 Cadillac chassis back in the late 80’s........why it was swapped over, I have no idea. It’s a neat vehicle, and very well done.

Ed, The Series 41 is the choicest 1931 Pierce-Arrow as you know, was that chassis re-bodied with a recreated LeBaron design?

No, it was cut up for parts..........

41 & 42 chassis are the same, except for length. I have a Series 42 Dual Cowl. 👍

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1
32 minutes ago, edinmass said:

No, it was cut up for parts..........

41 & 42 chassis are the same, except for length. I have a Series 42 Dual Cowl. 👍

I assumed that might have been the case, too bad though perhaps another 41 returned to the road.   I recall a CCCA article that analyzed the V-12 production from all Classic Era makers, that the Cadillac 368 ci V-12 was the greatest production of all.  Your perspectives on that engine would be of interest.

5 hours ago, edinmass said:

Budweiser Bevo Boat, built on a 1931 Pierce Arrow Series 41 chassis. This was boat number five if my memory serves me. The car originally had a one off LeBaron high top Enclosed Drive Limousine on it. The boat body was built “in house” at the company’s truck body shop.............interestingly it still survives, but was placed on a V-12 Cadillac chassis back in the late 80’s........why it was swapped over, I have no idea. It’s a neat vehicle, and very well done.

I swear I saw the "Bevo Boat" as a little kid via one of the many visits to Ted Cull's out on North Main Street in Dayton. OH - Ted had a really nice original 1929 Packard Standard 8 Club Sedan (that he accidentally lost in Kruse Auction shenanigans) and had the customized 1938 Lincoln LeBaron Convertible Sedan (that Ralph Marano bought after I answered a inquiry in Cars & Parts seeking the location of car - I doubt 10 people knew it existed), plus Ted was into V-16 Cadillac's, CCCA parts, and upgraded countless cars for Leo Gephart (Leo's shop was a couple more blocks down the street and we stored cars a couple more blocks from that).  Anyway, I want to say the "Bevo Boat" was ROUGH, ROUGH, ROUGH and sitting in the side yard grass up on blocks and under a tarpaulin.  

1938 Lincoln LeBaron Convertible Sedan commissioned by Lincoln dealer James H. Knox and attributed to Holden ‘Bob’ Koto, Alex Tremulis, & Ralph Roberts.

1938 Lincoln Model K Convertible Sedan Vehicle Profile

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 1
12 hours ago, 34LaSalleClubSedan said:

Here's a link for more info on the fancy lattice diamond X design Whitewalls. These are tires made by Falls Rubber Company called the "Roadmaster". and not Vogue. Looks like the dealer in the photo sold both Vogue, and Falls Cord Brand. If you go to the link below from the old motor you will get the history low down of the company and a closeup pic. Enjoy

https://theoldmotor.com/?p=146478

Yes, I am saw the Old Motor pieces noting the Falls Cord Roadmaster tire, though I have always seen them attributed to Vogue, including in Vogue's history: https://www.voguetyre.com/about-us , 

There is some interesting internet reading about Cooper and Falls, the the name "Cooper Falls Roadmaster", and ... out on internet: The Cooper Corporation, the M and M Company, and The Falls Rubber company merged in 1930 to form the Master Tire and Rubber Company. The company name was changed to Cooper Tire & Rubber Company in 1946. 

My guess is one of the tires exists in some dusty garage corner and would be fun to read the labeling, plus we need to find a "period" advertisement or ...

1 hour ago, 58L-Y8 said:

I assumed that might have been the case, too bad though perhaps another 41 returned to the road.   I recall a CCCA article that analyzed the V-12 production from all Classic Era makers, that the Cadillac 368 ci V-12 was the greatest production of all.  Your perspectives on that engine would be of interest.

The Cadillac 12 was not inspiring........adequate would be how I describe it. The best 12 is the Pierce......by quite a bit. Basically with a twelve you get a complicated and expensive to restore engine, and with most manufacturers......it isn’t worth it. That said, tweak a Pierce 12 and you get 225 hp easy, and there isn’t much that will touch it’s in the era. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1
21 hours ago, F&J said:

1295038850_34LaSalleExport.jpg.86b35ac6616670666ea1cda10999d29a.jpglas4.thumb.jpg.d4d88659bc34ed0901ace935a28a38fd.jpg

Note how technically the "same" car has such dramatically different looks - the car in the top photo having a black top with light colored edging, no-sidemount spare tires, chrome wheel disk covers over wires, and whitewalls, while the lower car has tan top with dark colored edging, sidemount spare tires, painted wheel disk covers, and blackwalls.   

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, edinmass said:

The Cadillac 12 was not inspiring........adequate would be how I describe it. The best 12 is the Pierce......by quite a bit. Basically with a twelve you get a complicated and expensive to restore engine, and with most manufacturers......it isn’t worth it. That said, tweak a Pierce 12 and you get 225 hp easy, and there isn’t much that will touch it’s in the era. 

So, Cadillac was selling more sizzle with their V-12 than steak...  You want steak?  Buy a Pierce-Arrow Twelve!!!!

9 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Isn't the V-12 basically a shortened up V-16 ?  I know an AACA member by the name of Dwayne Pansing (Dayton, OH) had a fabulous original 1931 V-12 Sport Touring that had belonged to Charles Kettering (and it had an engine turned engine compartment) and he swore his car would run circles around any V-16, though my guess is his car was possibly "hopped up" given its ownership history.  By the way, that same garage the V-12 came from had an interesting car in it still when I was a kid - a one-off 1941 Cadillac 60 Special Fleetwood 4 door Convertible Sedan (I saw it at maybe age 7 in 1972-ish and it survived that long in near pristine condition so no doubt it still survives). 

1 minute ago, 58L-Y8 said:

So, Cadillac was selling more sizzle with their V-12 than steak...  You want steak?  Buy a Pierce-Arrow Twelve!!!!

Yes......or a Cadillac 16. Many people just don’t realize how much more of a challenge a V-12 or V-16 is to get set up correctly and dialed in. A Cadillac V-16 has two Stewart Warner vacuum tanks, and two Cadillac Johnson carburetors. Want to test your skill level? Dial in a Caddy 16 or a Pierce 12. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
21 minutes ago, Casper Friederich said:

1925 Amilcar Grand Sport , central gearchange and hand brake as opposite to Bugatti Type 37 etc. Gaspedal in the middle, windshield probably removed for the photo session

Amilcar 1925 (2).jpg

I thought they were neat until friends bought a CGSS to find out it did not have a starter and was sort of a fierce beast with the hand crank, so we had to push start it time and time again. 

22 hours ago, Bloo said:

Chop side? What does that mean? Got a picture or a link?

The Goodyear whitewall has concentric rings or ridges on it about 1/2 inch wide on the face of the whitewall (or blackwall) - a period correct tire.   There is also a period correct Firestone tire. 

• Like 2

I was planning on posting a photo of the Goodyear tire, but my Airbus ran out of gas, and we had to land 200 miles short of my home......so tomorrow I will post a photo.

• Like 1

Wow, now that's an amazing group of photos of that Auburn! Boy, that right rear fender is just hammered. Interesting to see all those scrapes in paint around passenger side rear taillight visible in the tail-shot photo. I guess that gas filler is kind of in a funny spot and a real pain to gain access to?

12 minutes ago, md murray said:

Wow, now that's an amazing group of photos of that Auburn! Boy, that right rear fender is just hammered. Interesting to see all those scrapes in paint around passenger side rear taillight visible in the tail-shot photo. I guess that gas filler is kind of in a funny spot and a real pain to gain access to?

I will say that I pulled them off of ebay - seller is conniem489 

4 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

Auburn Boattail with a customized grill insert

VTG 1940'S BLACK & White Photos 1930s Auburn Speedster Boat Tail ...

132943183_VTG-1940s-Black-White-Photos-1930s-Auburn-_57(8).thumb.jpg.e8dbbc030d2ea37d56ca2a776335ea2d.jpg371679955_VTG-1940s-Black-White-Photos-1930s-Auburn-_57(7).thumb.jpg.c1edf3f3858a44f7e20b839ced6348d2.jpg1058449195_VTG-1940s-Black-White-Photos-1930s-Auburn-_57(6).thumb.jpg.df422d6b8b0d75c545b02c89ecb177e1.jpg1741735305_VTG-1940s-Black-White-Photos-1930s-Auburn-_57(5).thumb.jpg.4e185584264758d6dc16bf2d4b249b1f.jpg509831867_VTG-1940s-Black-White-Photos-1930s-Auburn-_57(4).thumb.jpg.cddcfd5b718c7f4ce1cc3fd4a101076c.jpg110028869_VTG-1940s-Black-White-Photos-1930s-Auburn-_57(3).thumb.jpg.8f0b2389ad5c8fe3d330eba9caf794e2.jpg378522284_VTG-1940s-Black-White-Photos-1930s-Auburn-_57(1).thumb.jpg.2ab6f6a60d994b21437c15d970cd7acf.jpg1468482999_VTG-1940s-Black-White-Photos-1930s-Auburn-_57(2).thumb.jpg.d639f255d11935a84524d4bf0576ef8e.jpgVTG-1940s-Black-White-Photos-1930s-Auburn-_57.thumb.jpg.80f93f98bbb4fedc863d0df4d282766c.jpg

VTG 1940'S BLACK & White Photos 1930s Auburn Speedster Boat Tail ...

This is why you should always use watermarks when selling on eBay.   She wasn't going to get what she was asking for the pictures,  and she definitely isn't getting it now.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, alsancle said:

This is why you should always use watermarks when selling on eBay.   She wasn't going to get what she was asking for the pictures,  and she definitely isn't getting it now.

There really is no substitute for the original photos - the detail is usually phenomenal (hopefully this brings some attention to how significant they are and hopefully someone steps up to the plate). 

Sidenote:  I think the wheels on the L-29 Phaeton were for sale on ebay within the past few years - hopefully that car survives.

28 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

There really is no substitute for the original photos - the detail is usually phenomenal (hopefully this brings some attention to how significant they are and hopefully someone steps up to the plate). 

Sidenote:  I think the wheels on the L-29 Phaeton were for sale on ebay within the past few years - hopefully that car survives.

The issue is that as a non identifiable car (i.e. an Auburn Speedster) it is very hard to get the kind of money she was looking for, even for 1940 era photos.   I feel I made a pretty fair offer on the entire lot, but over paying resets the entire market for the next set which I will invariable be the only buyer for.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Casper Friederich said:

1933-35 Steyr 430 with Rumble seat, based on the Porsche designed Steyr 30. Only 1250 built, that includes all body styles.

Steyr 430 1933.jpg

One of these was just offered for sale very quietly.......in decent condition. Interesting car.....but a bit small for my taste. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
17 hours ago, John_Mereness said:
1935 Model J Duesenberg 2559, Union City-LaGrande Dual Cowl Sweep Panel Phaeton
Engine No.:    J-532

Duesenberg

Wow!

Is this one still around in this configuration?

• gwells changed the title to Period images to relieve some of the stress