Period images to relieve some of the stress

The late series Peerless cars, like many others are exceptionally rare. The biggest issue with them is quality VS reputation. From 1915 to the end of production, Peerless quality fell into the basement. The “big three P’s” were really the “big 2” By 1916.....a few T head cars were built after the V-8’s came out. Having worked on and driven most of the surviving series and platforms from 1912 to the end, I don’t consider any of them for my “want to buy” list. The V-8 cars are just lacking in quality and performance.........and the 1920’s sixes are nothing to write home about. A few of the late series straight eight cars are interesting, and are mid grade quality and performance. I do find the last few cars interesting.........but they are basically extinct...........and as it is with many other cars today, there is no club support or any technical experts left to call and look for help with problems if your not skilled. Not trying to dump on the brand.......but they were basically doomed from post WWI. The swan song V-16 mechanically was great.......better than a Cadillac as far as the power plant is concerned.......but the body design was lacking in style and quality. That said, I would like to own the V-16 Peerless some day, but the issue of heads and blocks failing would make me more than cautious on which cars I would consider. Ultimately dollars spent today have many more outlets for more interesting and drivable cars that place them above the cut of 95 percent of the survivors, so the likelihood of me ending up with one is small.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1
9 minutes ago, edinmass said:

The late series Peerless cars, like many others are exceptionally rare. The biggest issue with them is quality VS reputation. From 1915 to the end of production, Peerless quality fell into the basement. The “big three P’s” were really the “big 2” By 1916.....a few T head cars were built after the V-8’s came out. Having worked on and driven most of the surviving series and platforms from 1912 to the end, I don’t consider any of them for my “want to buy” list. The V-8 cars are just lacking in quality and performance.........and the 1920’s sixes are nothing to write home about. A few of the late series straight eight cars are interesting, and are mid grade quality and performance. I do find the last few cars interesting.........but they are basically extinct...........and as it is with many other cars today, there is no club support or any technical experts left to call and look for help with problems if your not skilled. Not trying to dump on the brand.......but they were basically doomed from post WWI. The swan song V-16 mechanically was great.......better than a Cadillac as far as the power plant is concerned.......but the body design was lacking in style and quality. That said, I would like to own a V-16 Peerless some day, but the issue of heads and blocks failing would make me more than cautious on which cars I would consider. Ultimately dollars spent today have many more outlets for more interesting and drivable cars that place them above the cut of 95 percent of the survivors, so the likelihood of me ending up with one is small.

Ed,  this sentence:  "That said, I would like to own a V-16 Peerless some day"    should be "That said, I would like to own THE  V-16 Peerless some day".

Otherwise,  I agree with your comments.   The Custom Eight of 30/31 was a 3k car which puts it in the class with the Reo Royale.   Basically the bottom of the Luxury tier.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Ed,  this sentence:  "That said, I would like to own a V-16 Peerless some day"    should be "That said, I would like to own THE  V-16 Peerless some day".

Otherwise,  I agree with your comments.   The Custom Eight of 30/31 was a 3k car which puts it in the class with the Reo Royale.   Basically the bottom of the Luxury tier.

Fixed.........sorry about that. Too many times I’m typing while sleepy or distracted. I also have the bad habit of not reading what I typed before I hit save. While the last batch of cars were priced in the same category as the Reo Royal, they weren’t up to the Reo’s construction, fit, or finish.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

A 32 Peerless Custom 8 in a Club sedan with wire wheels and sidemounts - NOW WE ARE TALKING !!!

Thank you Al "alsancle" for the original post 

This is a Custom bodied one with a Weyman fabric body.  At least one of these was sold to the President of a milk company in Cleveland.  

peerlessWithWymannBody.jpg

PeerlessWeymannBody.jpg

As to the production body - unfortunately I do not know if a "period" photo exists, though this new one exists albeit a car in "base" wooden wheel form (when I asked for photo of it when it was for sale everyone who lnows me was less than supportive as they knew I would want wire wheels for it and equally knew the quest for them would not be pleasurable matched to an "unobtaium" parts supply and ... - then spend a fortune restoring to have unknown though probably lower than restoration cost value).

1931PeerlessDriveway 045.jpg

8 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

1931PeerlessDriveway 045.jpg

Photo from Tom Laferriere's driveway.  

Walt,  is this restoration finished yet?  I think this is one of those deals where the car looked a lot better than it was underneath.

Illinois Coal Miner Union War 1932-1937:  Shooting victim Edris Mabe (inset) and scene at Sixth and Washington streets following fatal confrontation on Easter Sunday 1935 (State Journal-Register)

Shooting victim Edris Mabe (inset) and scene at Sixth and Washington streets following fatal confrontation on Easter Sunday 1935

1938: Alexander's Market at 3029 S. Vermont Ave. This view includes GallenKamp's Shoes (3035 S. Vermont Ave.) and Mode O' Day (3033 S. Vermont Ave.. (Herman J. Schultheis/Los Angeles Photographers Collection/Los Angeles Public Library Collection)

5d1a5f4cb9f2d5000908f55e-eight.jpg

Luxurious Lincoln arrived for Ford Motor Show . The Ford Motor Company is holding an exhibition of its latest models at the Royal Albert Hall , London , as a preliminary to one of the biggest trade pushes of recent years . The latest model of the luxurious Lincoln car arriving at the Albert Hall for the show . 18 February 1932 Motor Show Black and White Stock Photos & Images - Alamy

21 hours ago, alsancle said:

Peerless Master Eight?

Deluxe Master Eight, factory photo. Identifiable by the chrome sidemount covers and the Peerless script on the rad shell. The Deluxe Master Eight and Master Eight would have been 125" wheelbases vs. 138" on the Custom Eight....same engine, except carburetion and horsepower(115).

• Like 3

From AACA Forum Member jeff_a

A 1928 Peerless 7-Passenger Sedan. Model Six-91...289 Cu. In. seven-main-bearing alloy Superb Six engine, designed by the Cadillac engineering department. The 6-90 and 6-91 models were all supposed to be 120" wheelbase/$500-less versions of the luxury 6-72 model. A 7-P 6-72 Sedan was 133 1/2" w.b./$2,595. 128" wheelbase for this 6-91 body style only. The black color, wire wheels, and Peerless Eagle hood ornament give this a certain cachet. This one would have been $1,995 before the D/S/M and wire wheels.jeff_a's Content - Page 2 - Antique Automobile Club of America ...

7 minutes ago, Scott Bonesteel said:

From the date on the photo and the license plate on that Pierce, looks to have been taken in Ohio in 1932--a somewhat 'cheeky' photo for that time and place!

The date......July 8 1932 was the lowest point of the stock market ever........it was “the worst and lowest point” of the depression.

• Like 1
On 6/21/2020 at 5:17 AM, alsancle said:

I thought the Master Eight was a shorter wheelbase,  slightly lower standard equipment than the Custom,  same engine.   Can somebody more knowledgeable than I (Jeff?) elaborate.  Note spare tire covers,  different bumper and other differences.

Btw,  these cars are made of Unobtainium.   In the last 20 years,  I've seen one Master Eight and two Custom Eights for sale.

EDIT:  It is the wheelbase - I attached additional article.

The_Los_Angeles_Times_Sun__Mar_23__1930_.jpg

Hartford_Courant_Sun__Jan_19__1930_.jpg

Thank you A.J., Ed, and John for the discussion of some Peerlesses. I can't read the small print in the newspaper announcement of the Custom Eight -- but it probably has some info not commonly known these days.

• The benchmark surviving Peerless Custom 8 is the one Ele Chesney has.image.jpeg.da81035914f0e2224cdd44d31a629373.jpeg
  • Ed from Massachusetts could theoretically get another V-16 besides the one in the Crawford Museum...........they built 3 of them. They say No one knows what happened to the other 2, but remember that not one person in the world knew where they stashed Osama Bin Laden for years(total bs, 50 people probably knew). Maybe the other 2 V-16s got scrapped, maybe not.
  • When you get into the custom-bodied Custom 8s, like a Weymann, you are up to the 5K price level, TTBOMKnowledge.
  • alsancle posted a neato photo of another coachbuilt Peerless in a Dutch motor show, circa 1930, on the "Classic Era Peerless" thread of the CCCA General Forum here [De Lay bodywork of Holland]
  • There is a little-known 1930 image of a Peerless Custom Eight showing what may be a color scheme intended for a show car:f2511ebb4645f66a125a83141aaa9f49 SALMON & CRANBERRY...in my opinion, this salmon/cranberry combination may be what the repaint of the Ele Chesney car by Harrah's was trying to achieve before turning into more of a silver-grey/maroon exercise. That's assuming Harrah had access to this illustration and that they wanted to make it a little more mainstream. Not every car could pull that livery off....think of the flesh-tone Fords about 1974. (Missing image I lost and then found.)
  • El-Nice-O period piccie of a Peerless Custom 8:  Amazon.com: 1930 Peerless Custom Eight ORIGINAL Factory Photo ...

Edited by jeff_a
found missing original color scheme (see edit history)
  • Steve Moskowitz changed the title to Period Images to Relieve some of the Stresshttps://forums.aaca.org/topic/341211-period-images-to-relieve-some-of-the-stress/
  • gwells changed the title to Period images to relieve some of the stress