Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

44 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

And another photo shows itself of 1933 Packard Twelve of Tom Lyle of Maybelline (poorly indexed as a 1937 Packard and thought I had found all the relevant photos out on the internet.

scan0062.jpg

It’s a 1934.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

One for the Packard experts?

gettyimages-969020676-2048x2048 (2).jpg

1928 Packard Custom Eight Model 443 convertible coupe by Walter M Murphy of Pasadena, CA.  Alternately, It might have been a 1927 Model 343.

• Like 1

It's hard to make out details due to the size of the photograph/car, but the driving light just below the radiator cap at the top of the shell I believe is an accessory called an Owl or Oval Light that was available in that era . I am aware of a Packard club sedan of similar vintage in northern California that is an unrestored original car that is fitted with one as well.

• Like 1

There is a 27 or 28 Lincoln Locke roadster with an original Owl light on it in the Bay Area. Fantastic car, unmolested for 80 years sitting dormant. I believe it recently changed hand into one of the black hole collections never to be seen again for another fifty years.

• Like 1

The Owl Lite seemed to be a fairly popular accessory around Califunny back in the day. We used to see quite a few of them for sale at swap meets, mostly in poor condition. The brass was not properly annealed, and they tended to crack badly with age. They had a sort of a "dual 'C' clamp that held the top bracket onto the radiator neck, with the lamp hanging below it in front of the radiator top tank. There was a long control rod that extended through the engine compartment all the way through the dash for the driver to control the lamp. U-joints and a worm gear with the driver pushing, pulling, or twisting the control rod would turn the lamp to either side, or up and down. One could use the lamp to light the roadside, ditches, or check addresses, or even look up into the trees. The name "Owl Lamp" was to imply that it could be turned any direction like an owl's head.

A very good close friend had a '26 Buick Master that had one on it from many years back. Jack Passey had several very original Lincolns from the '20s with Owl Lites installed on them. I used to know of several other nice original cars, Packards, at least one Locomobile, among others, with Owl Lites originally installed.

Having personally studied thousands of era photographs, and being familiar with the Owl Lites myself, I actually rarely see them in old photos. So I would doubt that they were all that popular elsewhere, but here? They seemed to have been common.

Edited by wayne sheldon
I hate leaving typos! (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1